“Nice and Quite with very nice staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel San Marcos

You added Hotel San Marcos to your Saves list
Hotel San Marcos
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av. Mar del Plata 191 | Barrio San Rafael, Punta del Este, Uruguay   |
Ranked #54 of 67 Hotels in Punta del Este
Miami, Florida
“Nice and Quite with very nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

If you are looking for a five star new building this is not the place for you.
This is an older building that you see the staff working day and night to keep it clean. It might not be new but it's clean.

Tip 1, Make sure you have a reservation as we sat in the lobby using the free wifi we saw the place get full and had to turn walk ins away..

Tip 2, free breakfast is near the pool, make sure to ask the location.

Tip 3, Always say hello, Buenos dias, buenas, or buenas noches. It's just manners.

Tip 4, tipping staff I feel is ok.

Tip 5 Ask for advice and they will give it to you.

Enjoy your stay!

Tony Miyar

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Piano di Sorrento, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

The worst and dirty hotel with the rudest and very bad Owner/ Hotel Manager in the world...

I been to this hotel last week and I had an horrible stay and experience.

First of all if you are thinking to go to this hotel bring with you the staff to clean the bathroom, especially the toilet, because it looks like the toilet of a main train station and also in the room you have an horrible bad smell for all your stay. Further, on the sheets you can found bloodstains on it. If you explain the problem to Andrea, the blonde long hair who works at the reception, she is rude and impolite to do something for you.
I paid $ 174,00 per room per night and I think that I have to receive a service (especially the cleanness in the room) because You paid for, but the only thing that she can say is to settle the full amount in advance...
This not at all..... If you ask to speak with an owner or a manager you have to wait almost 20 minute and after all you can meet the owner. I explain to him my complain about the horrible experience and he answers to me that is not true and in the past two years he never had complains about the cleanness. I don't think that all the people that live their experience at San Marcos Hotel are crazy.
Once I was in the first room and I found the toilet dirty I came back to the reception and I asked Jose (another member of the staff who works at the front-desk) to came with me to check the room condition and he confirmed that the toilet status was very bad. I asked to change room and after that I saw two more rooms I found one of them a little bit better.
The wi-fi works only in the old and dirty hall.
Now I understand why was the only hotel that had rooms available for all Punta del Este one week before my arrival date.

The only suggestion is before to go to San Marcos Hotel do an antitetanus or sleep on the beach should be much better and cheaper......go away from this place especially if you have kids!!!!

I hope this was my first and my last horrible experience....

P.s. Estella, Mauro and Jose go away from this bad place....

• Stayed January 2011
somewhere over the rainbow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

As soon as you enter into the room it is easy to see the dirt all over the shop. Bathroom was filthy and full of moss. Owner explained that this was because we rented an "eco" room. Eco does not mean Dirty! Simply avoid it! there are nice and cheap hotels in the area. (we simply decided to move back to Conrad, that is a little bit overrated but very clean!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

The room and the bathroom stink. The hotel is very old. The hostess are desorganized and we got different information at different times. The hostess are sometimes unpolited.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2007

This place has a great pool area and is in an attractive, quiet neighborhood a short walk from the beach. The onsite restaurant is good and the prices are reasonable for Punta del Este. I'd give the breakfast buffet a C+. Our room was a bit worn but generally clean; however, the smell in the bathroom (sewer gas from the floor drain?) was absolutely revolting and unbearable. I can't speak for other rooms but if you're offered room 139, don't take it.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Sewer gas stench in our bathroom
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sao Paulo, Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

We stayed there in 2004. Our standard room was being reformed, so they gave us a higher value at no additional cost. The host was nice and the environment was very cozy, but nothing fancy. I do recommend it.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel San Marcos? Share your experiences!