My boyfriend and I decided to go to Abu Dhabi for Christmas and New Year. We'd previously been to Dubai and wanted to try somewhere new and also we just couldn't believe how much cheaper it was for a better rate hotel in Abu Dhabi.
We loved our stay at the Shangri La. It was particularly special as my boyfriend got down on one knee (eventually two - ha!) and asked me to marry him!!! Hooray!
So the Shangri La.......
Fabulous big room which was laid out really well - we stayed in the a premier room. Huge walk in wardrobe and lovely terrace. As some of the reviews mention the location does initially feel a little weird and I think this is because you're in a city. There is the view from the beach out to the beautiful mosque and then being the UAE where there is loads of construction you can see cranes and on the left hand side there is a a very busy road / dual carriageway in the distance. Have to say upon first seeing it I thought it was odd but the whole experience soon made me forget about it! I guess you have to bear in mind this is Abu Dhabi not a deserted beach in Thailand.
There are some lovely pools at this hotel; a great peaceful rooftop lap pool as part of the spa, an infinity pool and then a slightly smaller one just back from the beach. We used all of the pools but mainly the lap pool for an afternoon swim. The great thing about the time of year we went is that the temperature was perfect, hot and sunny but you could sit in it all day without feeling you had to get in and out the pool every 5 minutes. We chose to sunbathe on the beach as the sunbed area was a little crowded.
The service overall was great and as you'd expect from a hotel in the Middle East. The pool bar as a few people have mentioned didn't have it together like the rest of the hotel and service was a little slow. The water is complimentary and you immediately receive this when you set up your sunbed which was a nice touch particularly when we've often paid through the nose just to have water whilst we sunbathe before.
The buffet in this hotel was amazing. Everything and anything you could ever want to eat including 3 chocolate fountains!!! We had the buffet a couple of times and whilst it's fabulous go when you've missed lunch and are very hungry to make it good value. We also had two fantastic meals in the Chinese restaurant in the hotel as well. We didn't try the other restaurants as we went to the nearby Souk however we did go to Pearls & Caviar for plenty of cocktails the night we got engaged - great music and great fun! You can access The Souk through a gate from the hotel or get a golf buggy to drive you there if you don't fancy the walk. The restaurants there were brilliant and great value for money. There was a fantastic Lebanese for lunch / dinner, The Meat Co. and Noodle House were both great for lunch and then our favourite was a restaurant called Ushna which did fantastic top quality Indian cuisine. We actually went there for New Year's Eve and it was brilliant fun.
The big malls were a little distance away but worth a visit when the sun goes in! The Souk also had some nice shops for jewellery, pashminas etc.
We had a fantastic holiday in Abu Dhabi and if you're looking for somewhere to go in The Middle East that offers the opportunity to relax, sunbathe and eat excellent food this is it!
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi Hotel
- Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi Hotel Abu Dhabi
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a one-kilometre stretch of private beach overlooking the strait that separates Abu Dhabi Island from the mainland, the hotel is situated ten minutes' drive from the city's international airport, five minutes from the golf course and the new Convention Centre and 15 minutes from the Corniche and the city centre. Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi, features 214 luxurious rooms and suites, all furnished to the highest standards in a modern Arabic style. Each room also has a balcony or a terrace providing an ideal setting for viewing striking ocean sunsets and traditional Arabic domes and minarets. Accommodation choices also include six spectacular villas comprising four bedrooms and a private swimming pool. Regarded as an ideal hotel in Abu Dhabi for longer stays, the Shangri-La Residences include 161 spacious serviced apartments ranging from studios to four-bedroom units.The 8.5 hectare hotel complex provides a wide range of facilities and services for the discerning traveller. These include the signature CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, and a dedicated well-being zone comprising two gymnasiums, a swimming pool and a yoga room. In addition, there are four swimming pools within the grounds. The Souk traditional Arabian market built in a modern setting offers a variety of shops under one roof which are connected by a waterway featuring Arabic gondolas, or abras, which slowly meander through this unique architecture lush garden scenery. Supreme waterfront lifestyle enhanced with Shangri-La hospitality. Designed with luxury and comfort in mind, the Shangri-La Residences has all the features of the hotel at their doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Splendia, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Venere, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel, Qaryat Al Beri, Abu Dhabi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.