“Returning customer!!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort

You added Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corniche Road | P.O. Box 640, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
“Returning customer!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We have previously stayed at the Sheraton corniche on a number of occasions for a week each time with our son as a 2 year old and a 3 year old. We have found the hotel excellent and very family friendly, and could not fault anything at all about the hotel.
We are particularly looking forward to the breakfast and the pool and beach which were excellent despite some negative reviews.

We have stayed in a club room on each occasion and it is well worth it with buffet breakfast and snacks all day plus some alcoholic drinks at night.

We are going back next week for our 3rd visit, this time with our now 4 year old son and a 6 month old daughter. Our only concern is that the rooms we have previously had aren't huge and might be a bit tight with 4 of us now. Hopefully however the staff will find a solution for us as the main reason we continue to return to this hotel is due to the excellent customer service, exceptional staff and family friendly policies. I have not hesitated in recommending this hotel to a number of friends and they have found the service to be second to none. Yes the hotel may not be the most glamourous hotel in Abu Dhabi but its service always makes up for this! I only hope we have the same experience as our previous stays!!! Can't wait!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Paula H,

Thank you for your post on tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure of receiving repeat customers to our hotel.

We are looking forward to hosting you one more time and wish you safe travels.

Deputy general Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 3 nights in February 2013 over Valentines having booked a 'surprise' hotel deal and were really pleased that it was the Sheraton. It is a slightly older hotel so the rooms are a little smaller than you might get elsewhere, however they are comfortable, clean and well furnished and we had no complaints whatsoever, we really enjoyed our stay. Our room was city view, which was fine, and had a tiny balcony - we had no trouble with noise. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The pool is lovely, we spent a lot of time there, the beach was also nice and better than I had been led to believe by reading other reviews. There is a construction site overlooking the pool and beach but we didn't find this a problem.
The complimentary wifi is only within the lobby so we upgraded our package to include wifi and the upstairs club lounge which you can use throughout the day for snacks and drinks (including alcohol for a couple of hours in the evening) - we did use this quite a bit as we spent time at the hotel each day, though the lounge is quite small and has no view to speak of so you wouldn't hang out there for too long.
Location was good - we walked to the corniche which is very close by on a couple of days. We ate at the Italian restaurant one night and enjoyed our meal there. The breakfast buffet was very good.

Room Tip: We stayed in a city view room which was very nice - we had no problems with noise. There was a small...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and managed to enjoy most of our facilities.

Your kind comments about our restaurants have been well noted yet I was especially pleased that you found our team of associates to be very friendly, caring and welcoming. You may rest assured that your comments will be shared with them.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of a future visit and would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for your review.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed there for a week recently and nowhere on the hotels website or on trip advisor was information about the 32 story high rise building going up at the back of the hotel in front of the swimming pool, man-made beach and the view. The building work is going on 24 hours a day. We had a Sheraton Starwood preferred guest pool view on the 4th floor and when you open your patio doors, the building work is all you can see.

I specifically booked this hotel for the patio to sit on but it is so small you can only stand on it and there are no tables and chairs. The mini bar wasn't always replenished neither was the milk/coffee supplies in the room.

There was no guest directory to show you what restaurants were in the hotel and we were not told of any special events going on in the hotel i.e Wednesday night/Ladies night, free sparkling wine all evening. You really have to do the leg work yourself.

We settled our bill daily too but even at the end of the holiday when we had not had breakfast any of the mornings we stayed, they tried to bill us for breakfast and a double entry on the minibar bill.

The staff were polite and friendly but I just feel let down at the lack of attention to detail and the lack of information re the building work. I would not go back I'm afraid and I rarely say that!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Customer,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us on tripadvisor.

I was of course disappointed to read that you had been disturbed by the construction surrounding the hotel and well noted your comments on the rooms balcony. I am of course unable to make much changes on structural issues and while we normally receive positive comments about our rooms set up, the balconies are indeed not design to place a table of chairs on.

I am surprised of your comments about the missing guest directory as we normally have a copies with all information related to the hotel and its restaurants placed on the table of each bedroom. This was obviously not the case on this occasion and I would like to apologies for that. I wish you would have informed us of the same on the day of your arrival and we would have been able to replace it immediately for your comfort. We do have maps with the location of each one of our restaurant available and I will certainly make it a point to ensure that we improve our communication on our running promotions to our customers. Thank you for pointing this out to us.

I was on the other hand pleased that you found our associates caring and friendly throughout your visit.

As mentioned there is not much I can do when it comes to structural issues however I can assure you that for the rest of your experience I will make sure to take the relevant corrective measures in order to avoid such occurences from happening again.

Once again, thank you for taking the time so share your comments with us and warm regards

LTNJET
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Just back from a fabulous week at this hotel in our favorite city, Abu Dhabi. Had read previous reports and was a litte apprehensive before arrival. I need NOT have worried.
Landed from an over night flight from London at 0715 and was unpacking in our room at 0900. Checkin was excellent thanks to Charlotte's efficiency and helpfullness. We had booked a Club Room and ALL the extras were explained to us on arrival, we were allocated a room on the 7th floor overlooking the pool and gardens.
Yes the room was quite dark due to the smallish window, but the facilities provided exceeded our expectations.
Will always book a Club room for future stays as the value for money is excellent. Free buffet breakfast in the main restaurant,access to the Club Lounge with free snacks and soft drinks, free wi fi in rooms, Happy Hour each day 1800-2000 in the Cloud 9 bar with free unlimited selected drinks being very well looked after by Ruth.
ALL the staff are very friendly and nothing is too much for them, a credit to the Management.
The public areas,restaurants, gardens, pools are all well kept. If you wanted to grumble about anything then the beach has lost its original attraction due the the massive twin towers under construction close to the 'lagoon', which on some days was quite noisy, however once completed peace and quiet will resume.
All in all, if you are looking for location,service, excellent value- choose the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Book a Club Room, sign up for a Starwoods Preferred Guest Card before arrival as it entitles you to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us on tripadvisor.

I was very pleased to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time in our hotel and managed to make good use of the available facilities.

I was especially happy about your comments on our team of associates and their dedication to customer care, you may rest assured that this will be shared with them.

I certainly hope we will have the pleasure of a future visit and would like to remain at your disposal to handle all arrangements personally and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and warm regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Arrived at hotel early hours 19th march after a long flight to find my bank had put a block on my card. The Duty Manager and his assistant could nt do enough to help, they rang the bank in the UK for me but because of the time difference i had problems getting through, this was not a problem for them told me not to worry and would sort it out in the morning. I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occasions and have always been made welcome, the food is excellent and reasonably priced and so are the bar prices, $4 for a beer which is excellent for Abu Dhabi compare this with the $15 at the Intercontinental. If you fancy treating yourself try the club upgrade, you get unlimited soft drinks and sandwiches on the 6th floor 10 am-8pm and also get free drinks on the first floor from 6-8pm. Thanks for an enjoyable stay and looking after us yet again,Thanks to Diana, Roshan on the reception, Cletus on the concierge, Oli on the Club floor and the big man himself Jacob at the pool not to forget Mr Madi. I hope to see you all again soon.

Room Tip: Room 801 is a mini palace.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Paul M,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to read that as a return customer we always manage to make you feel welcomed and well looked after.

Your comments about our associates will be shared with them as they take great pride in delivering a flawless experience to our customers.

I would appreciate if you could let me know when your next visit is planned for as I would love to have the opportunity to meet you while in the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your time and loyalty

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A colleague of mine and myself recently had dinner here. As far as the food, service, ambience and music being played by the resident guitarist were concerned, all easily met expectations. However, what really concerns me is that this restaurant does not have a no smoking area. We were lucky having had most of our dinner in relative smoke free comfort. However, just as we were about to start our dessert, a group of four came in and was seated right next to our table. Out of the four, one started on his cigarette and another started smoking on his pipe. The smoke from his pipe was blowing straight into my face and was so overpowering that I immediately requested that we be moved to another table. This, unfortunately, spoiled what would have otherwise been a perfect evening. Can I politely suggest to the management that they introduce a no smoking area, or better still make it a non smoking restaurant. Dining out should be a relaxing and enjoyable experience, not one that is spoiled by being overcome with smoke either from a pipe or a cigarette.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Martin_Cramer, General Manager at Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Sab77,

Thank you for your review of “Bravo” our Spanish Tapas bar.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the service, food quality, ambiance and the music from our resident Guitarist.

I was of course disappointed that the smoking policy in the restaurant spoiled your experience and can easily emphasize on your feelings about the situation. The issue is that the size of the restaurant does not give us much option of different zones yet I will certainly review that and see whether it represents an improvement for our non-smoking patrons.

I believe that the Abu Dhabi government is working on a similar policy as the one you may experience in Dubai and in most countries in regards to non-smoking and we will ensure to implement it as soon as it has been officially communicated to us. We normally offer non-smoking zones in all our restaurants.

I would like to apologize for your experience with us and remain at your disposal should you decide to come and visit some of our other exciting venues for a future meal to handle the arrangements myself and meet with you on this occasion.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and warm regards

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I did not research this hotel prior to booking it- my husband made all the arrangements. He told me not to expect a lot and that the hotel and rooms would probably be disappointing to me- so I wasn't expecting to be wowed... that said, here is the gist of how I found the place to be:
Not what was expected: rooms are small, on the dark side (no natural sunlight and very narrow windows) and have a certain smell. The smell is not horrible but I don't like to "smell" my room at all unless it's the smell of flowers, fresh linen or coffee (and that's not what it smelled like. Smelled like a very old room).
Hotel is close to corniche- not on it. When I book a hotel on the beach- I expect a beach- I don't want to take a taxi there. Hotel's "beach" area is a joke. Not even with great deal of imagination can this resemble a beach. There is sand and there is water- but few yards of sand on the bank of a puddle located at the foot of two tall buildings under construction is not a beach. It was impossible to stay at the "beach" or by the pool because of the construction noise. We took a taxi to a family beach about 4.5 kilometers away for about 7 dirhams each way and paid about 80 dirhams at the beach for the entrance, lounge chairs and umbrella. Was totally worth it! The staff at the concierge desk was 50/50. One gentleman was helpful and very nice (I did not remember his name unfortunately) and one that was so confused, he really had no clue what he was saying. He had a hard time making a phone call, needed help from others and ended up giving us wrong information. We ended up going to a different Sheraton and got help from concierge there.

What we liked: front desk staff and just about everyone was very friendly and helpful. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby for one hour a day was great. Lots of restaurants and bars in the hotel- none were great or even good, but it was nice to have that option. All restaurants were very busy during our stay so perhaps other people found the food to be more to their liking- I tend to like good food and may be pickier about that. Although live music in the Mexican restaurant made me cringe- so so so bad! And who thought of the repertoire: Madonna’s Like a Prayer? Really?
Buffet in the morning was great- wonderful selection of global cuisine and great service.
Amenities were nice. Had some sweets and wine in the room waiting for us when we arrived. There was also fresh fruit in the room. Bathroom was nice. Hotel has a barber shop that was very busy and a salon for ladies. Did not use either but appeared to be popular with people. Liked the cafe in the lobby. It was lively and a good place to sit and people watch during any time of day. Desert was very good and so was the coffee.

Beware of the information on the website pertaining to local area. It makes it seem like everything in the pictures is "in the area"- it's not. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is located on the other end of the city- will cost about 30 dirhams to get there (not much, but it's not local area). Corniche is across the street and the area by the hotel is not really pretty- nice corniche starts about 4 kilometers away- I walked along the entire corniche on foot, large portion of corniche is under construction and has no view at all. We were expecting to find lots of restaurants along the corniche- our own fault- no one said it would be so, but in US- usually you'll find restaurants along the waterfront and boardwalks so we assumed it would be and were disappointed. There are a few food vendors about 5 kilometers away from the hotel on the corniche- but it's take out or fast food type places with outdoor seating available for some.
Restaurants:
The Beachcomber- outdoor cafe- mediocre food and air filled with smells of shisha. Views of either nothing or of the gym (that's the view I got).
The Sombrero- guacamole made table side was the best dish. All else was okay-not great, not horrible. Music was awful. If I wasn't enjoying my company- I would have hated it.
La Mamma Italian- surprisingly the best meal of the stay. Restaurant has no views. Staff was okay, pretty friendly not really extraordinary in any way. I had risotto with seafood and beef carpaccio.
Bravo Tapas Bar- don't know how the food is. I left before we sat down. No atmosphere at all. View of nothing/road, too much light and no ambiance at all. Would be okay for a pizzeria or a diner but in a tapas bar I would have expected dim lighting at the very least.
Bar/Restaurant (don't remember the name) - Had to walk out. Place was so smoky my eyes started to tear before I could read the menu. Looked cute and was loud- not great for non-smokers or those that don't want to smell like an ashtray after a night out.
Flavours Restaurant/ Buffet- great breakfast selection. Did not have any other meals there.
B- Lounge- has a lot of potential. Music, lighting and outdoor seating. Wasn't very lively when we were there, plus did not care for the location- basically behind the building- next to AC units and something else that produced noise and steam. Same area is also known as "beach" during day-light hours.
There is another restaurant that is not run by Starwood but located on the grounds. I forgot the name but it serves local cuisine/ Lebanese/ Armenian. Happened to be abandoned when we came here. It was the only restaurant open at the time so we had no choice. Place was okay overall: food edible, service mediocre, atmosphere/ambiance- not much.
Overall, hotel wasn't very good but the staff tried very hard. The biggest loss of rating comes from "misadvertisement" as beach hotel and having waterfront view, smelly rooms and construction noise (it's not Sheraton's fault, I know, but does not help with experience during the stay).

Room Tip: Lower floors have no views. "Water" view is underwhelming to say the least.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Travgirl,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to send such a comprehensive report of your experience with us, we take such comments very seriously and always use the feedback to improve on our services and we will be carefully reviewing yours and act upon what we believe is relevant.

While we cannot influence structural issues such as room sizes, I am sorry that you did not entirely enjoy all of our rooms and leisure facilities. It all comes down to everyone’s appreciation and expectations and I do feel disappointed that yours where not always met in that respect.

I did take note of your positive comments about our associates and you may rest assured that they will be shared with them.

We do offer a wide range of restaurants and bars in the hotel most of which boast a very positive reputation amongst Abu Dhabi and international dinners.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the future and would like to remain at your disposal should you decide to do to personally all arrangements and ensure of your comfort.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and warm regards

Deputy General Manager

Been to Sheraton Abu Dhabi Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!