“Very poor, noisy, prostitutes everywhere, bad food, cockroaches.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Diplomat Hotel

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Diplomat Hotel to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Diplomat Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Shk Khalifa Street | PO Box 73095, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Save 15%, Book in Advance
Ranked #103 of 117 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
“Very poor, noisy, prostitutes everywhere, bad food, cockroaches.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I had the misfortune to stay at Howard Johnson Diplomat Hotel for several weeks whilst working in Abu Dhabi.
It is a very poor hotel, there is loud music playing from the 12 bars until the early hours, some nights until 4am, making sleep difficult. There are prostitutes all over the place. The food is bad. Stay somewhere else if you are looking for a decent place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Phuket, Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

I am an easy traveller, happy to stay in 3 star hotels and have done so around the world in over 40 countries. This was by far the worst service I have ever received. When we booked online were booked 2 double bed room, free parking and free breakfast for a standard amount. Upon arriving there we were shouted at my the bell boy to one our car and pay 15 add for parking for 24 hours. Then were were not even greeted properly, just asked for our passports then they told us not to worry they will take 2 mattress's up to the room for the floor. THey expected us to sleep on the floor. and told we weren't getting breakfast. I was adiment to fight for what we paid for! The front office were ignoring us & while we were talking to them they were picking up the phone & not even apologizing to us. I then asked to see the front office manager whom was by far the most rude person I have ever met, she told us that this was our problem & we just just settle for what we get, and that even though they advertised it wrong on expedia it was our problem & we will have to sleep on the floor. I then decided to speak to some one more competent & was told that we can get 2 rooms for no extra costs even though we had booked it in the first place! she did not apologize but instead raised her voice at us & walked away!!! She does not deserve to even work with people let alone in a hotel with guests!!! never again!

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Hotel is located in a convenient location with excellent facilities suiting my budget. The stay was almost all like staying at home or like staying in a serviced apartment with homely atmosphere. The place is well connected by all means of transportation and near to Abu Dhabi Corniche

Room Tip: any room from 4 floor to 9 floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

i have stayed in the HJ hotel on a number of previous occasions, as have colleagues of mine. Previous experiences were not bad but I stopped over in the HJ hotel enroute from the UK. It started off badly when there was no record of my hotel booking (I ad to trawl through emails to find the online booking confirmation). I then showed my Qatar ID - which they reception refused to accept as valid ID. I find this very strange as all other organisations in the Middle East appear to accept this form of ID for everything ... From obtaining mobile phone SIMs, banking and money transfers! Eventually, after finding my passport, they check me in and I go to my room. The shower was like a leaking pipe at best .... A small trickle of water. Then the final straw - my girlfriend arrives (yes girlfriend) only to be told she can't come up to see me because she has no valid ID on her. I was informed that there was an 'incident' at the hotel bars and all women without valid ID were stopped going into the bars. I complained to the reception and was constantly fobbed off and told there was nothing they could do. At this point I was annoyed and demanded a refund .... But they refused. I was then put through to management via the phone ... But this obviously wasn't management with any jurisdiction. Again I was told there was nothing they could do. In the end, having spent approximately one hour in the hotel, I just walked out and checked into another hotel. Overall, an experience I don't want to witness again. Absolutely disgraceful customer service. Don't go there.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Pune, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My company books me into this hotel when I'm in Abu Dhabi. I must have stayed here over 15 times this year and here's my honest opinion about the place:

The pros:
1. The staff at the reception, the security guards and the bell boys are far beyond excellent! They have been extremely helpful to me everytime I've stayed here and really go out of their way to personalize the service they provide. Whether its last minute check in, early checkin, late checkouts, help storing bags (they should charge me rent the number of time's I've kept bags here). The security guard even brought me my Subway delivery to the room instead of me going down to collect it. The bell boy (Rezul) makes my my complicated and cumbersome travel schedule that much smoother. The staff at the reception are super helpful.

Just remember, be nice and people are nice to you! I've seen a few people being rude to staff at hotels and restaurants (especially in UAE) - what kind of service would you expect in return?

2. The rooms are larger than your standard 3 - 4 star hote, clean, tidy and smell good. There's never been smoke smell in my room though most of their rooms are smoking rooms. The music from the nightlife in the hotel really isn't that loud and the rooms on the 5th or 6th floor have been very tastefully renovated and are nicer than the rest.

3. The location! Its in the heart of the city and very close to many eating joints, entertainment and leisure spots. Corniche is a short cab ride away. Taxi's and busses are easy to get from here any time of the day and most of the cabbies will know whete HOJO is so its not difficult to find. If you're Chinese, Indian, Filipina or Russian - Lots of "home cooked" style food within walking distance - and beat this - a good meal would be between USD 5 - 8 at one of these places!

4. Did I mention the staff?

5. Extremely safe - just like the rest of the UAE.

The Cons:
1. There are 4 night clubs and a bar. An Indian and an African one located on the 2nd floor, a "Russian" and an Arabic one located on the 17th floor and a "British" pub on the ground floor. You can hear a slight thumping of the bass from the music from most of these bars in your room till 3am everynight - but it really didn't bother me one bit. Its really not that loud.

2. So, this isn't really a great place to vacation with the family, especially if you plan to go outside your room after 10pm. Nothing unsafe but just the crowd isn't the classiest you've seen if you know what I mean!

Overall, I love this hotel and am especially impressed with the staff. If you're on business, dont hesitate to book this place - just get a room on the 5th or 6th floor.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 5th or 6th floor. If you're here during the winter avoid the corner rooms on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Rooms are clean, spacious but no complementary water bottles when we stayed there the last time. Hotel is near Corniche and tourist club area, so everything is within walking distance. Bad thing is they don't have a lot of recreational facilities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed there for two days and it was a decent experience. The location is good as there's a multiplex and lots of eating joints around. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The rooms are quite spacious.
Their wifi policy is weird in which the give coupons of two hours usage and it can be logged in on one device at a time. The caused a lot of inconvenience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Diplomat Hotel? Share your experiences!