“excellent hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Abu Dhabi

You added InterContinental Abu Dhabi to your Saves list
InterContinental Abu Dhabi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud Street | Al Bateen area, Abu Dhabi 4171, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #27 of 118 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Loenen aan de Vecht, The Netherlands
“excellent hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

The first time I visited this hotel was in 1987 and in that time the Intercontinental was quite a conspicuous building in Abu Dhabi! Nowadays there are lots of surrounding highrise buildings, however that does not mean the hotel lost it's presence. It is still a 'place to be' with it's own yacht harbour and cafe's where you can pleasantly enjoy the warm evenings. Guest rooms are nice with lots of daylight entering through windows reaching from floor to ceiling.
December 1-7, I stayed with my wife in room 1421 which was a seaview club level room. We enjoyed the hotel premises, the hospitality of the personel and can conclude that this is still a well managed hotel ranking with the top-hotels of Abu Dhabi. For our next visit, we shall book this hotel again an also our son has booked here a room for his visit to Abu Dhabi on 29 december next week.
Especially thanks to Matai and Kumudu in the lounge for all their efforts to make you feel at home!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and your kind words. The team and I are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. I also would like to thank you for being a loyal guest with InterContinental Hotels & Resorts. It is always a pleasure to learn that you had a memorable experience and you enjoyed our hotel.
We look forward to welcoming your son next week and in the meantime, I wish you and your family a happy festive season and a happy new year.

Dieter Franke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

The hotel is nicely located and my room had a nice view of the swimming pool area and the ocean. It is 5 star and very nice. When checking in I was offered a package for breakfast and a happy hour as well as access to a business lounge for about $150. I was there for a 2 day meeting so seemed like a good deal. Apparently it was not a one time charge but added to the daily rate. Ended up spending more than $350 a night which is a little much even for a 5 star. There is much better value for money out there. The breakfast and happy hour were certainly not worth $150 per day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed the room and the view. I am sorry to hear that there was a misunderstanding in the daily rate offered for the up-grade to a Club InterContinental room. The upgrade includes the use of the Club Lounge on the 18th Floor, complimentary breakfast, Afternoon tea, pre-dinner cocktails, free use of the meeting room plus a vouchers for complimentary pressing of one suite and two shirts.
I thank you once again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Uzair of the Selections Restaurant made it a memorable stay...yayyyeeee ;) very attentive and friendly. The hotel is very clean. Lots of construction around the hotel,but that should be over with at one point.

• Stayed December 2013
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your reivew and for giving us the perfect score. I am happy you enjoyed your stay us. Thank you for your kind words regarding my colleague Uzair. He is thankful for your comments.

As you mentioned our Bayshore development is not affecting the enjoyment of our guests on the beach. We are expecting the whole project to be ready within quarter one of 2014.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Booked on ICH own web page with a good rate.

Pick up from airport in a large Ford car with a large boot which got all the suitcases in, the return trip in a Mercedes we had to have two cases in the front with the driver. The Ford was the better car bigger and smother.

Front of house staff were the cars pull up at 9.00pm were just great. Took my wife and myself all the way to the club check in area on the 18th floor, there is a private lift just for the upper floors and helicopter landing pad! They then brought the suitcases up to the room within minutes plus a screwdriver to fix the handle on a suitcase, top service.

Check in was smooth, received the high floor as asked, also the twin beds.
Room was clean and cool. Aircon worked very well with easy to use control box.
Bathroom, well this room was a little worn around the edges. Damaged bath, mastic that looked like had been put on by a 6 year old and very low water pressure.
As with all hotels the noise from people walking past your room if they are talking loud or just disrespectful about other guests needs when moving to their rooms does come into the rooms.
The room in the mornings was well serviced but the turn down services was only done 3 times out of one weeks stay, and that as hit and miss even after a call to house keeping. For the whole stay we never received a newspaper even though the web site states a dally paper.

As others have said, why oh why dos the hotel not clean the room windows. They are FILTHY.... What 5 star hotel allows this. Its been said so many times on this site you would think the hotel would act on the feedback.

Now for the room key. OMG..... We had to have the room key card reactivated 9 times during our stay. The hotel said they looked at the lock after the 4th time our key cards would not work. The 8 times the cards were reactivated by the staff in the club lounge but once in the check in area at the club lounge at midday they had no staff! We were told to wait or go to main reception. One would think that a 5 star hotel would staff its club check in desk for its guest.
We had to go to the main check in area in our wet swim wear in front of all these well dressed persons in the lobby area, were then asked for ID before they would reactivate the key cards, who carry's that in their swim wear, as we told them, we also told them they had no staff at the desk in the club lounge. They did reactivate the cards but with no apology at all and no customer service skills. Talk about being embarrassed. My wife and I just wanted the floor to open up what with all the other guest in the check in area.
For our inconvenience from this 5 star hotels lack of staff a bottle of red wine was left in our room. My wife does not drink and I don't drink wine, we left it at the hotel on check out. How poor is that service? Why not just have a good old fashion key, just like people have had for the passed few hundred years.

The club lounge. While we were staying all week it had babies and children in it. Crying babies, children picking food off the counter uncontrolled by adults. Not the type of club lounge I would recommend if you are looking for a quite relaxing time which is a shame.

Pool area. Every time we left the sun lounge's the staff took away the towels even when you went in the spa or pool. Why? Their parasols have seen better days also.

The beach area was good to walk along in the evenings but it looks like the water does not move a lot as it had a "raw" smell to it, could be due to the new islands which have been built.

All week in the spa area the sauna was out of action. Does it take that long to fix. Looked like it had been out of action for quite a while.

Over all the staff were very good, the hotel try's very hard to be a top 5 star place but there are to many little problems to says its up there with the other 5 star Abu Dhabi hotels so unless we were to get a good rate again its back to the Hilton or Hyatt when we are back in Abu Dhabi which is often.

Hope this helps folks.

Room Tip: only stayed on the 18th floor over looking the pool which was handy to get the room key reactivated...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review regarding you last stay with us. Such reviews are a great help to us as it allows us to rectify the shortfalls that might appear.
I am delighted you found our Front Office staff service efficient and the room comfortable and to your liking. Please allow me also to apologise for the inconveniences you faced during your stay.
As it is always our aim to provide our guests with a comfortable experience, I have shared your email with the team here at the hotel and we are working , as we speak, on setting to matters to order.

Once again I thank you for your review and hope you will give us another change and be our guest in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed there just last week, though it wasn't actually on a weekend, but still it's a great way to get out of busy Dubai.

The room was spacious, the view is spectacular, regardless whether your room faces the city or marina.

Check-in & check-out were efficient, I can say service overall was brilliant.

Tried hotel's beach & Belgian Cafe.
The beach is partially under renovation, but it doesn't disturb you much. Looking forward to be back when construction is over.

Hotel's Belgian Cafe was my 3rd franchise visit here in the Middle East, so I knew what to expect after visits in Doha & Dubai.
My favorite mussels & Leffe, cozy atmosphere. Inside area is strictly non-smoking, which is a plus.

Will definitely recommend as a top Abu Dhabi destination.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had a relaxing weekend at our hotel.

As you mentioned, our beach project is nearly ready and is scheduled to open within the 1st quarter of 2014.

Once agin I thank you for your kind words and I look forward to welcoming back soon.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Upgraded with wonderful staff and plenty of attractions within the grounds. Gym, pools, beach restaurants and meeting rooms abound at this location. Just off the Cornish and within walking distance to the main beach and into th CBD.

Rooms are large and well presented, free parking as well as free WiFi, well worth a visit if staying in the Capital

Room Tip: Upper floors give a great view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Shamwire

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and thank for your kind word. I am glad that your have enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Once again thank you and best regards

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Was the most spectacular hotel in UAE for a long time; gold leaf in the Ballroom.
Has had many Famous residents inc Charles & Diana! Now a standard 5 star hotel with non-descript food & service but a reasonably high standard of comfort; good sleep as long as the staff don't chatter in the corridor.
The dreaded AC is as ever, bone chilling.
Food is standard hotel fare; my favourite is the clear vegetable soup!!
Have worked in hotels for 20 years & stayed here 4 times over the last year.
Outstanding value for money if you can get a good rate.
Beach is being refurbished.

Room Tip: Sea view nice during day time only. I usually prefer high floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hooray H

Thank you very much for taking the time write your review about your recent stay with us. I have to start by apologising for the uncomfortable experience you had with the AC. I have refered your comments to our engineering team and they are looking after this matter, making sure such disturbance is avoided in the future.

Thank you for staying with us 4 times, I hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Dieter Franke

Been to InterContinental Abu Dhabi? Share your experiences!