“FANTASTIC...a real gem!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Abu Dhabi

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Abu Dhabi to your Saves list
InterContinental Abu Dhabi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Abdullah Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud Street | Al Bateen area, Abu Dhabi 4171, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
IHG Special up to 25% Off
Ranked #28 of 116 hotels in Abu Dhabi
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“FANTASTIC...a real gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have recently returned from my trip to Abu Dhabi staying at the Intercontinental Hotel for the nights of (20/03/13-23/03/13)
I must congratulate your team on a fantastic and very pleasant visit, I had arranged a tour prior to my stay as it is a hotel we sell a lot of to my clients, and I can say personally I was not disappointed!
The hotel has real character and I think once the pool/beach area is complete it will be one of the best in Abu Dhabi.

The staff at the hotel from check in to restaurant staff were fantastic and some of the friendliest and most helpful I have ever experienced when staying in different hotels globally.

I was lucky enough to sit and have coffee with Reema on my arrival and she ran me through the things to come from the hotel and it all sounds very impressive!

I feel I must also congratulate the Concierge team on their fantastic ‘CAN DO’ attitude and general knowledge, A special mention to Loana who works on the concierge who was fantastic and was a massive help for me arranging tour, even when I had to change days due to illness and also arranged for me to go to the hospital so I could see a doctor. She really did go above and beyond. So I feel her great work deserves a special mention.

I also noticed the pool staff were fantastic when it came to finding sun beds and making everyone feel welcome and that there was a spot for them around the pool, these little touches go a long way with clients and are often overseen these days.

For a big chain its nice to see the Intercontinental have remembered the old fashioned principles and approach to customer service.

My room was fantastic and kept immaculately clean, every day.

I will definitely be recommending this hotel with the highest reference in the future and hope some of my feedback has been of some use.

My only negative about the hotel was when I checked out, the check out clerk was efficient and quick however the hotel driver was not so great, I explained that I only had 20 minutes to do the 10 minute trip to the Emirates free shuttle bus station (which is different to that of the main Abu Dhabi bus station) the receptionist understood and told the porter who acknowledged he understood however he drove agonisingly slow with no rush and also took me to the wrong bus station resulting in me having to pay 200AED to get a private transfer to Dubai to make sure I caught my flight on time, so somewhere the instructions were lost in translation between the 2 or the driver was clueless to where he needed to actually take me.

This still didn’t ruin and amazing time I had spent at the hotel.

This isn’t the hotels fault, I just expected the driver to have known what he was doing and be aware of that seeing as many of your clients may also be caught out by this.

Keep up the good work guys! I will continue to send my clients your way!

Room Tip: The view facing the sea is prefferedas you see some amazing sunsets/sunrises
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Gary 1989
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I have shared your comments with the whole team at the hotel and we all thank you for your kind words.

I am delighted you have enjoyed your stay with us. Our aim is to provide valuable guests with a memorable and enjoyable experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tring
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Having just stayed for a week in Abu Dhabi at the Intercontinental hotel,we came away wishing we had booked longer.On arrival our room was not ready,due to us turning up early, so while we were waiting we were shown another room to choose from and given complimentary drinks at the piano bar.Our room was spacious with a high standard,providing Elemis products in the bathroom. which was lovely.
We had only booked B&B,but they had upgraded us to halfboard free of charge.
All our meals were in the buffet restaurant which was amazing.The selection and,presentation was beautiful,we didn`t want to eat anywhere else.Although there were several other restaurants to choose from.
Saturday lunchtime buffet is not to be missed if you are a lover of seafood.Also midweek they have a ladies night in the yacht club with free champagne until approx 10pm.
Pool & pool areas are very clean.You need to get there fairly early as it gets busy.To use the pool you have to sign in,to which you are then given towels plus limited amounts of coolboxes with ice.The hotel caters for all, with the childrens pool sectioned off,life guards,entertainment for the little ones,pool/snack bar,spa,beauty,fitness programmes,scuba diving lessons plus trips out.You can`t get bored.
They run a free shuttle bus to the Marina shopping mall,which is best to book and are quite willing to drop you off along the way.
Taxies are always at hand and the concierge can`t be more helpful.Giving us maps and advice,also willing to book us anything and everything.
There is building work going on at the private beach,which apparently is going to be another pool and restaurant.This didn`t spoil our afternoon there,although will be alot better when finished.
On the day of our departure the reception let us stay on in our room for 2 hours extra with no charge and stored our cases until the evening before leaving for our flight.
All the staff were so helpful and friendly,we would definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the pool were great and although busy,we didn`t find noisey.The other view offere...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear jane b

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I have shared your kind words with the team and they all thank you. It is always our aim at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, to offer our guests unforgettable experience and all the needed comfort s they are looking for.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon and thank you once again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Returned to this hotel for first time since it closed for refurbishment some 5 or 6 years ago. Will get the only negative out of the way first-building work on a new beach area was a slight downside but did not spoil our 12 night stay.Building work all around the outside of the hotel made it difficult to walk out anywhere.
Otherwise everything was excellent,frindly,helpful staff, good sized comfortable room, excellent choice of restaurants on site-Brazilian, Italian, Japanese and Fish market as well as a standard all purpose restaurant.
The club lounge is marvellous, completely new since previous visit-staff here were all perfectly well trained, all had time to talk to you. and provided excellent service under the direction of Kate the manager. The long panoramic views of the city from here are well worth the extra.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a sea view but do pay the extra for Club Access
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bsn034

Thank you for your kind review, your feed back is quite encouraging to our team. Our beach development is underway and should be finalised by end of Q2. The development will turn the beach area to a complete recreation facility with swimming pools, restaurant, bar and a white sandy beach.

Once again thank you for your comments and we are delighted that we all managed to offer you a memorable experience during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Rm.Valcea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Even it is one of the oldest hotels in Abu Dhabi,you feel like home between friends..Thank you Francesco,Svetlana and of course the most important person in this hotel which I did not had the opportunity to met ,but I feel like he is everywhere-Mr.Dieter Franke-GM of this beautiful hotel.
I will recommend this hotel to everyone which is going for business or leisure to Abu Dhabi.The lobby is very large and very comfortable,the rooms are very nice and well cleaned every 2 times a day with everything you need :menu pillows,very comfortable bed,daily re-stocked mini bar,free bottles of water,free safe,LCD TV,free internet in the room even on the beach,nice view,the services and the food in the main restaurant are excellent,the other 4 restaurants a la carte are also very good,very good Mediterranean food at the beach restaurant,very good Belgian beer and snacks at Belgian restaurant.My special thanks to the manager of Yacht Club restaurant.Even are some works on the beach,you don,t see anything and it does not disturbing our excellent holiday.Very good services on the beach,on my opinion the best I found at one 5 star hotel.very good services also at the SPA.I recommend rooms on top floor,starting with 12 th floor and it does not matter if the rooms are sea view or city view.Both have nice view ,because the hotel is build in one of the best areas in the city called ,,corniche,,.Free shuttle minibus to both Mall in the city,very polite and professional driver.

Room Tip: The rooms at top floor starting with 12 thy floor are the best and it does not mater if are sea view...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Rm.Valcea

Thank you for taking the time to write you kind review and for recommending the hotel to other travelers. I have shared your comments with our team and they all thank you for your encouraging words. Our aim is always to provide our guests a memorable experience.

Once again, I thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Abu Dhabi.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for three nights and it was a very nice break but the annoying think is the band at the cafe which is at the ground floor.
And the concierge was very very helpful.
In general it is worth to stay there for a couple of nights.

• Stayed March 2013
Hartlepool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

i have been staying for two weeks in the hotel and have felt at home all through my stay. An established fine hotel with an attractive marina setting.
Lovely views of the Corniche greet you every morning.
There are a range of restaurant which cater for Brazilian, Japanese, Italian and european palates.
Also the Yacht Club has a late night club several nights a week.

The hotel ballroom is certainly well worth seeing as it is truly beautiful

The haotel staff are keen to please and well trained.
Food is interesting and of a high standard.
There are extensive sports and spa facilities available to guests.

Pool area is very pleasant with dining services.
All in all a nice hotel with a historic past very well presented.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
InterContinentalAD, General Manager at InterContinental Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Walter F

Thank you for taking the time to post your review describing your recent stay at InterContinental Abu Dhabi. It is delightful knowing that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

When I shared your review with the team it gave them a boost to continue working towards achieving our ultimate goal, which is giving every guest a comfortable and memorable experience.

I thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I was stay in suiete 1921 from 2 to12 2013 I found all the hotle group nice people they try to do thier best to make me happy.I was visited many hotles but i will not forget this one.Thankes for all group thier.ًI want to say thank you Ahmed,Aiyda,Omer.Sure Iwill see you soon....

• Stayed March 2013
ear Whitebirdtravel

Thank you very much for your kind words and for taking the time to right your review. I am delighted that you had a comfortable stay and we were able to offer you a memorable experience with us.

I have shared your comments with Ahmed, Aiyda & Omar who in return thank you for your kind words.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dieter Franke

Been to InterContinental Abu Dhabi? Share your experiences!