“Fantastic, but for us it was out on a limb” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #18 of 120 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, but for us it was out on a limb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Great flight with Eithad, outward was just short of 7 hours, return was 7 hours 30 mins. Transfer time to The St Regis was approx 30 mins. The hotel was fantastic, as was the service, the food and the staff. The rooms were large and very comfortable, the bathrooms were awesome, very roomy and large, two sinks with a walk through shower accessible from both doors to the bathroom. The oval bath overlooked the view.
The only drawback that i could see was that there weren't any shops in the hotel and not nearby. We were on Saadiyat Island which obviously was a clue. If you don't want to leave the hotel for a wander, or shopping then it's perfect, although the temperature was increasing daily, but i would say it was about 100 degrees and climbing. Not a good time of year to go.

• Stayed May 2013
Stregis_Management, Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and I am delighted we were able to offer you a fantastic holiday. Saadiyat continues to develop as a destination, and the retail are of our resort, The Collection, will soon see shops and cafes open, offering guests more variety on the island. We look forward to welcoming you again, perhaps in the cooler months of the year.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort for four nights in May 2013 during a business conference. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, but there are a few "teething issues" this new resort needs to fix because rising to a five-star review.

Beginning with the service, I was blown away by the friendly, helpful, and professional staff. Although we never saw the butler who was assigned to our room, we routinely came across pleasant staff members who were eager to assist us in whatever we needed.

We were assigned a water-facing room with two double beds. The bedding is quite comfortable, although we found the double bed to be a bit small to share. The bathroom has a huge rain shower with a sink on each side of the shower, a separate toilet room, and a massive bath tub. The hotel provides various toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, lotion, mouthwash, etc.), but the containers were pretty difficult to open, and the smell of the toiletries was not very refreshing. There is ample water bottles throughout the room for drinking purposes, and we received tasty chocolates each night. Additionally, there was a table and two chairs on the balcony, but the table had a small hole in it.

As mentioned in other reviews, the air conditioning units in the rooms are pretty noisy. This did not hinder my sleep (rarely anything does), but it is noticeable. Additionally, the housekeeping staff could use a little fine-tuning. We came back to our room one day and found a shopping bag filled with trash that did not belong to us. Our guess is that the housekeeping staff had carried the bag with them from another room and forgot to remove it from our room. Moreover, although the TV menu states that you can check out of your room via your tv, this check out function does not work. I called the front desk about this, and they confirmed it was not possible to check out that way (despite the tv menu stating otherwise).

As for food, the breakfast buffet is absolutely delicious! The price of the buffet was included in our stay, so I cannot comment on the price. It was a pleasant mix of international foods. I cannot say I was thrilled with the catered food at our two events. We also had some snacks at the Manhattan Grill, which were quite tasty. The issue we had, however, was that it took us thirty minutes to find someone to serve us drinks and food. We sat on the patio, then moved to the bar, and did not see a single staff member. Other guests had been served before us and were also waiting for another round of drinks or their bills, but the staff member serving this area had disappeared. Once the staff member arrived, however, the service was fantastic.

I also visited the spa and had had the Iridium Massage for 90 minutes. The spa is absolutely stunning, and my masseuse did a fantastic job. Oddly, when I arrived for my 10 a.m. massage, the doors to the female spa entrance were locked with an unsightly red chain. I had to find a staff member to assist me with finding another entrance to the spa, and lost out on some prime pre-massage spa time. At the very least, a sign should be placed at the locked door instructing guests on alternative spa entrances.

The hotel property is massive. While walking to an event at Turquoise the first night (which is by the pool), my husband scratched his foot on a cement corner that we could not see in the dark. Additional lighting in the outdoor areas would be quite helpful.

The pool was fantastic. Perfect water temperature, and the pool staff quickly set up an umbrella for us, set out our towels, and gave us cool water. Don't miss out on a swim in the Persian Gulf - the water is quite buoyant and uniquely colored. Watch out for the rocks during your entry though, but it's a swim not to be missed. I have never visited the UAE before, and I was a little nervous on whether a bikini would be ok at the pool. My concerns were completely unwarranted, and I felt perfectly comfortable in my normal beach attire.

Overall, I cannot say there was a lot to see around the immediate vicinity of the hotel. The Louvre and Guggenheim will be great additions to the neighborhood once they open. Personally, I would not go out of my way to visit Abu Dhabi again in the near future for leisure purposes, except if I needed a break from the gloomy UK weather in the winter. If I did travel back to Abu Dhabi, I would not hesitate to stay at the St. Regis again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed feedback and for particularly appreciating the efforts of our staff members. I am delighted to hear that your overall stay with us was enjoyable and relaxing and our venues, be it dining at Olea and Turquoiz or the spa treatment and Iridium Spa.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us, and we hope you will visit Abu Dhabi again in the near future.

SCOTLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

after our flight from the uk to dubai,late evening,we were picked up and driven to abu dhabi. This was our second time here,previously visiting the yas hotel a few yrs ago.We are frequent travellers to the UAE staying in 5 star hotels..On arrival, we were met by reception and escorted to our lovely room by our butler.He was very polite and gave us a quick overview of the room.room on 6th floor,back view of new resort shangri-la being built.ok,would've prefered diff view but told hotel was at 98%full.room large and spacious.lovely bath!Our holiday was booked through BA so we were on free half board option.our breakfast at olea (6am-11.30)was good,but not fantastic.hostess was lovely.The grounds,pool and beach area looked lovely and we had a nice wander round the grounds. Luxury houses and golf course surround the hotel grounds and building work is going on at the back. as per a lot of areas.not an issue.we overlooked two suites down below us but at floor 6 and on the corner,we weren't overlooked.Got very hot by 9am ish and while all the pool areas open at 8am,most of the beds in the adult pool area are already reserved by 8.05am! Found this a major issue as these beds or areas (with daybeds/furniture) weren't used for most of the day. Although you are escorted to your sunbed area, by the lovely staff, i think this should be addressed and perhaps suggest that if you are not at your area within an hour,then the towels should be removed!! I realise that there is plenty space at the beach,but the 3 days we sat....we really did sit all day,ok most in the shade,but did notice that new arrivals just couldn't get beds! felt very frustrating for them. I realise this might happen in other resorts and seems to be the older generation that like their "own beds and areas". think someone mentioned in another review.Think a five star hotel should look at this.Couple who had a large day bed next to us came down every morning at 8am and didn't appear until 3 in the afternoon. ok.moan over.Staff lovely,offered free water and iced tea in the afternoon.we had lunch at the bar area.Not too pricey.Had dinner in olea 4 nights and in turqoize on the last night-need to book in advance. Food lovely,mainly sea food on the menu. before going on holiday, reading about the private butler,we didn't feel the need to use him,but found there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room,so we had to ask him to make this! found this a bit strange and would've preferred the option to make our our tea/coffee in our own time! It's free if the butler makes this but you are charged if you order this from room service.mmmm.while the st regis lives up to its reputation,i think there may be a few things that could be "tweeked"check out was swift as it was 6am.very quiet and polite efficient staff.lovely hotel..

Room Tip: sea view rooms,high floor. back of the hotel,surrounding-building work but remember that's most...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stregis_Management, Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and for repeatedly recognizing our staff during your stay with us. Feedback on usage beach beds and loungers is being addressed as we will soon have additional available.
Thank you again for choosing to stay with us during your time in the UAE, and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The best service, staff alongwith clean, tidy and outstanding facilities. Great beach, pool, dining options. We had a fabulous lunch. The rooms were clean outstanding...super impressed. Because slight further away from city, come here to relax and enjoy what's on offer!

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kristy,

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation. I am delighted we were able to offer you a true St Regis experience and look forward to welcoming you back.

Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was our third stay at the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort. One year ago we celebrated our 31st wedding anniversary at the same hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We decided to return once again, this time to celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary.

I checked out rates and availability on the St. Regis website for the Saadiyat location prior to making our reservation. When I phoned central reservations in Ireland to make the booking for 2nights/3days, the gentleman in Ireland could not access the room rate that I could clearly see on the website. He suggested I make my own reservation on line. Our reservation was made successfully and at the rate I had expected. I also made a note on the reservation comment box that we would be celebrating our 32nd Wedding Anniversary.

Check in at 3pm was swift. Delivery of luggage was a little slow. Our first point of business was to get straight into our swimsuits, go to Turquoize for lunch then find a couple of loungers and sun umbrella on the beach to begin some relaxation.

We were allocated Room 372 - Seaview, King, non-smoking. However, I prefer being higher up and our view was more facing towards the building cranes on the construction site for The Louvre Abu Dhabi. That was disappointing. The room itself, especially the bed, is very comfortable and the bathroom is spacious, clean and bright.

A mini anniversary cake was delivered to our room by our butler...which was a nice touch.

Dinner was booked for 7:30pm (I did that on line) at 55 and 5th...our favourite restaurant at the hotel. I was presented with a magnificent bouquet of flowers by (I believe) Kirsten Ruffer Restaurant Manager, 55 & 5th, The Grill. Our meal was sublime and we loved the live music being played by a duet.

Winding down the day on the patio of the Manhattan Lounge with a nightcap, listening to the waves, is nirvana.

The hotel had a 98% occupancy rate during our stay. So next morning/Friday, breakfast at Olea was busy but no line up of guests waiting to be seated by the hostess. We know the breakfast selection well enough now to head straight for the healthy foods we enjoy.

The sun loungers and brollies (usually on the beachfront) had been corralled into a rather small area further back from the waters edge and beside the boardwalk. This was due to the endangered Hawksbill Turtles now laying their eggs on the beach area in front of the St. Regis Saadiyat.

It was not very peaceful or relaxing in the sun lounger area. Golf carts were passing all day. There were wailing children, whose parents seemed happy to let them wail all they wanted. We were packed into this small area like sardines. There were many people on their mobile phones holding anything but quiet conversations. I made several trips down to the water to escape the phone conversations going on around me.

I do wish we had been told beforehand about the restricted access for guests on the beach. An exploration of the adult pool area found it to be very busy too. Why do the German guests feel they have to claim all the best areas by putting towels on the loungers...then leave for breakfast. I find that very annoying.

Dinner at Sontaya on Friday night was very enjoyable and again we were served with a Special Anniversary Cocktail and dessert...much appreciated. The staff were delightful as was Chef David who stopped at our table to introduce himself.

Breakfast at Olea on Saturday morning was frantic. Mainly due to the strong wind that was blowing that morning. Most people were wanting a table inside. There was a queue, however the staff were moving people along swiftly.

Check out is noon. At 12:05pm there was a knock on our door asking if we needed help to pack? We only needed another 5 minutes and we were at checkout.

I asked reception to update our profile. Particularly when it comes to room allocation, we prefer higher up and not beside families with children...no connecting doors for us. We also prefer facing the Arabian Gulf rather than looking at building cranes.

We still enjoyed our stay and would certainly recommend the St. Regis Saadiyat to friends and family.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to read that this is the second anniversary that your celebrated with us and that your overall stay was enjoyable. I am happy that our staff took every opportunity to make you feel special. Your comments on areas of improvement have been well noted and shared with the concerned departments in an attempt to enhance our guests experience. We look forward to welcoming you back for another indelible stay.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel over a weekend when it's very busy - so expectations were lowered, but have to say that almost all the hotel staff made a great effort to ensure our stay was a comfortable as possible. They used creativity and a lot of heart in making an effort - which means I forgave any minor issues very easily (of which there were very few).

Really felt like we were on holiday - turquoise sea view!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad to read that you felt you were on holiday and our staff tried to care of your every need.
I will be pleased to share your kind words with the team and look forward to your return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I booked St. Regis Saadiyat because of her beach and layout of the hotel, and may be I booked way ahead the price was very good. My stay was the first week of May. And then I found out that the hotel was fully booked for the week. I was quite worry because I seldom see a renown 5 star hotel brand would receive such mixed reviews...from "highly recommend" to "worst experience ever". I anticipated that the situation and service will even worse for a full house scenario. I don't want (and no one does) the hotel experience to damage my precious vacation and so I tried to contact my travel agent and seek for possibility to change another hotel. And fortunately the request was declined.

The hotel itself, as many had already commented, is great in many ways. I think it suits even better for people who has more time to stay in a hotel to enjoy the facilities like the pool, and especially for beach lovers, I would say this is a perfect choice.

It was a early flight so I arrive at the hotel at 9:30 a.m. and they were able to give me an early check-in at around 11:00a.m. although the hotel was full. The check-in process did take longer than most hotels because the three check-in counters (or front desks) are designed for looking good but not for efficiency. I noted that the staffs has to go around many times in order to get the job done. I also noted that the management was trying very hard to satisfy all the guests (may be due to the continuous negative reviews). Once they found me waiting at the lobby, someone will come to you and ask if I need help. Some of their caring for customers are genuine, and some seemed to be 'professional reflex'.

I didn't encounter any problem or confusion when having breakfast @ Olea, as some reviews had. Food, in my opinion, was just above average. I just didn't feel good because I believe most of the food prepared will be disposed (way too much than needed for consumption). The service of the waiters and waitress were adequate, although still have room for improvement. It's hard to say in which way...just I didn't feel the warm service that some other hotels able to offer. Also ate at the Vietnam Restaurant and had a great experience.

Therefore, I have no reservation to recommend this hotel, based on the hardware (room, facilities and beach) of the property. And if you want to enjoy a vacation and some misses in the services do not bother you much, this is a great hotel to relax. I believe the diversities of comments may due to : 1. the timing of your visit, 2. you run into some less experienced employee, 3. you really desired to be pampered...Anyway, these are the reasons why we pay premium prices for a 5 star hotel--looking for good and consistent services in all circumstances.

As we are on vacation, just relax.

Dear Samson,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and glad to read that we delivered on promise and your stay with us was enjoyable.

I look forward to welcoming you again, perhaps during the cooler months.

Hotel Manager

Been to The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort? Share your experiences!