“Fabulous hotel - service a bit hit and miss.” 4 of 5 stars

The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #18 of 116 hotels in Abu Dhabi
london
“Fabulous hotel - service a bit hit and miss.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The St Regis is a fantastic hotel, location is great, short journey from airport, on a fabulous beach and built to a very high spec.
Check in was poor, no orientation of the hotel, no drink on arrival after a full day travelling and whisked straight up to our room. We seemed to walk a mile along corridors before we arrived at our room. The room was meant to be ocean facing but our views of the sea were only possible by looking over the side of the balcony.The view straight out from our room was towards other rooms on the other side of the Hotel. Also, we had booked 2 further rooms for members of our family to join us 2 days later. The check-in staff had no knowledge of our request for rooms to be located in the same part of the hotel despite a number of emails. I even sent a letter 3 weeks before to the hotel General Manager explaining our requirements.
As you can imagine we escalated our displeasure and, following much discussion the hotel kindly moved us to an upgraded room and made sure our family would be allocated rooms nearby. It is such a shame they cannot deal with this up front - other hotels of this class do.
A bit of communication and attention to requests could have avoided stress following a long journey from the UK.
Let me now deal with the pros and cons.
Pros :
Wonderful hotel, Swimming pool, Beach staff, Pool staff, Child friendly, Great Sandcastle kids club , Adult pool, Thai Restaurant food and exceptional service, Butler service, 55 &5th restaurant, Dolphins swimming off the beach, Golf course, Yaswaterworld a must, staff at entrance to hotel very welcoming.
Cons :
Tuqouiz Restaurant - service awful - no idea, Check-in poor, Communication - are the hotel management listening to customers ?
We had a great holiday despite some basic niggles that could have been avoided.
We loved the layout and style of the new St Regis hotel and I am sure our problems are well know by senior management, they just need to sort it out and they will have a world class resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We do take guest feedback seriously and as such I am glad to read that you were well taken care off during your stay with us and that your children enjoyed their time at Sandcastle Club. We are diligently working on improving a few areas, and I am confident your next time with us will be seamless in every aspect.
I look forward to your return.

Kind regards,
John Pelling,

922 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Turkish first
Manama, Bahrain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Okay, we crashed the joint. Arrived by cruise ship, and had spent time in Abu Dhabi before, we wanted real surf, not lagoon. Took a taxi to the St Regis, and walked through the hotel to the beach like we owned it.
Parked ourselves on a lounger on the beach, we were treated like royalty, I immediately gave the attendant a fat tip so he wouldn't ask any questions. I don't hink they cared. The beach is WOW, perfect waves, clean clear water. Don't get me wrong the beach on Cornishe (especially Gate5 for adults) is awesome, but it's basically a channel, a long lagoon. Saadiyat Island is a real open water beach.
We ate lunch by the pool, for was fabulous, service, impeccable.
We agreed that if we were to travel back to Abu Dhabi, it would be here. Hands down.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having just returned from the Four Seasons Hong Kong, I know a good hotel.

First the good, Beautiful hotel, fab rooms, nice beach, everything it is advertised as.

Then the bad, the service is enough to drive you crazy and ruin your holiday.

The butler service is non existent, seriously you will never see them.

Bath products when used are not replaced.

Bathrobes there one day, but gone the next and not replaced.

Mini bar not stocked, and replaced with items already there not the items that were used.

No tea/coffee facilities in room.

All the baby items they claim they can supply like monitors etc, they don't have or are broken etc.

Bath mats seem to go missing and not replaced.

Their is no food service on beach, and you will wait up to an hour for a drink like juice or water?

Food menu by pool limited and isn't good, service is worse, you get part orders, part of your meal , then 30 minutes later the rest of the food and the drinks etc...

Breakfast and dinner in the main restaurant chaotic, service is terrible , we had to ask 5 times to get a bottle of water, you have to follow staff around in order to get tea/ coffee in the morning. You are not offered the menu even though it is both buffet and a la carte, the bill in 4 nights has never been correct. We saw staff scrape used food from dirty plates, on to plates of food waiting to be served to other guests and when they realised they just scraped it back off and served it to them. T
Today we spoke to 5 different people to get the sheets changed on the beds, and spent almost 2 hours doing this - we are supposed to be on holiday not working for the hotel.
Distinct lack of vegetables but that is down to personal taste.
We have three rooms here, and have been so frustrated at the amount of time we spend trying to get staff to do their jobs, a huge waste of money and holiday spoilt, we have tried moving to another hotel but they are all full - Easter.
This place could be outstanding but it's obvious the management don't care. And what's worse is we have almost a week left here. We will spend the rest of the evening trying to find another hotel. My advice go somewhere else.
No doubt I will get the standard response from management.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at the St Regis last week as I was presenting at a conference held there. I had read a few negative reviews here so was a little concerned about the reality even though I am a Starwood member.
However those reviews are - IMHO - out of date. The service was impeccable from the minute I walked through the entrance. The check in does seem to take a while - but there is no waiting in a queue - it is comfy seats and scented towels to revive you whilst you wait.
The butler service was fantastic - I will dig out my guy's card - but they were all marvellous - nothing too much trouble - including when I stupidly couldn't work out the plug in the bath!!
And the bath!!! It is immense - I couldn't see over the top when I was in it - brilliant! :-)
My room was gorgeous, clean and spacious.
Breakfast was buffet style - lots of choice. I also dined with a colleague in the evening at the buffet because we hadn't booked anywhere else - but we were not disappointed.
I used the gym too and that was clean and well equipped.
All in all if I ever get the chance to go back to Abu Dhabi I would definitely return to the St Regis.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The Hotel and resort are very good. facilities and service are perfect. Food is good, can tend to be a little pricey. Only week point is that as they have a lot of success you may have to wait a bit of time for your room. However the staff is very professional and will do t's best to accomodate you in the best way they can. Theire bloody mary is awsome but don't expect it to be similar to what you have ever tasted. I like the bottle of water that is offered while you are on the beach or on the swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at the St Regis for three nights. We arrived at the hotel at 2pm and the check in process seemed fairly clumsy with the hand over between the numerous front of house staff. We were informed our room was not ready and that checkin time was 3pm, we decided to go to the beach and left our mobile number with the promise that we would be contacted when the room was ready. At 5pm we rang the front desk and five minutes later they rang back to say yes our room was available. The rooms are beautifully decorated with high quality fittings and are extremely comfortable. We ordered tea from the butler and waited for our luggage, after two phone calls and an hours wait it eventually arrived. The tea wasn't much quicker. The butler service seems to be much more of a frustration than an asset, it was rather slow and unresponsive, several times we had to ring other departments as the butler phone rang and rang unanswered. All the other hotels we stayed at on this trip had nespresso machines which is much more convenient, if I want a coffee I don't really want to try to track down a butler and then wait half an hour for it. I loved the design of the hotel, and the setting, the beach is stunning. The staff were all polite and said hello, but there was something lacking for me, for a resort hotel it's very formal and had the feel of a city hotel. Valet parking took an age and twice they forgot to bring our car up leaving us hanging around for twenty minutes. However, the concierge team were very helpful. Overall, we had a good stay and I would return, the hotel does have huge potential which it isn't just quite fulfilling.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This was first stay at the St.Regis, but won't be my last. We booked the Friday Brunch and stay package. I have to say it was fantastic and great value. The hotel was as you would expect from a 5 star chain, the food was great, but it was the staff that made the weekend for me. At brunch Willy our server was very good and never stopped smiling. A beautiful setting and a very relaxed afternoon.
The restaurant manager Georgios was also a credit to the hotel with his attention to detail and service. A great room and a top breakfast, all in all a great weekend. Next time I'm going to take the golf clubs.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view. Rooms on the 8th floor are outstanding.