“Good but with issues” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
London
“Good but with issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

I spent a few days at the St. Regis Saadiyat in early April. The resort is located on Saadiyat Island, a sprawling development by TDIC (the Abu Dhabi government-owned tourism investment company) which will eventually include several resorts (two of which are already in operation: the St. Regis and the adjacent Park Hyatt, with more set to open, including, I believe, one operated by Mandarin Oriental and one by Shangri-La), a golf course (operational), residences and museums (including local outposts for the Louvre and Guggenheim, which won’t be ready for several years), amongst other attractions.

When booking, I was torn between the St. Regis (which opened in December) and the Park Hyatt, which opened a few months earlier. I picked the St. Regis as it seemed somewhat less sterile than the Park Hyatt (though I generally like Park Hyatts’ design, this one seemed underwhelming from the pictures). Also, the St. Regis was marginally more expensive, which, rather naively, I took as an indication of greater quality. I suspect I made the wrong decision, but more of this later.

Rooms: the room (with sea view) was tastefully (and luxuriously) appointed, with the usual amenities (large TV, Bose sound-deck, etc., though no Nespresso machine, which I have seen in a number of resorts of comparable quality but have never used) and a wonderfully comfortable bed. The bathroom in particular was stunning. I strongly recommend paying a little extra for a sea view room, otherwise your view is likely to be rather miserable.
Indoor communal areas: like the room, I thought they were also excellent – luxurious but not over-the-top (unlike, some may say, the Emirates Palace). The décor in the wide reception area, Manhattan Lounge and restaurants was faultless.

Outdoor communal areas: I thought these were disappointing. Not only is the exterior of the building itself rather crass (faux-‘Mediterranean’ style, whatever that means), but the pool and beach areas are also underwhelming - there is far too much stone everywhere (which, although obviously not cement, does give a similarly bleak impression) and nowhere near enough greenery. True, the vegetation that is there needs time to grow but it seemed to us that that a lot of the outside space is simply not reserved for vegetation, which is a pity. I also found the lay-out of the pool and beach areas to be unintuitive, with unnecessarily round-about paths required to reach certain amenities. Both main and adult-only pools are also underwhelming.

Food: breakfast was very good, with a very generous spread of (mostly) quality products. Dinners at 55 and 5th and Sontaya were also very good. Lunch, however, was consistently disappointing. This is mostly due to the fact that, at least for the time being, the lunch options are very limited: either Sontaya (which serves Asian cuisine and is fairly formal) or a very small selection of standard snacks, sandwiches and salads, which is also prepared by the Sontaya kitchen and is served either on the beach or at a small seating area with a bar by the adult pool. Despite the small selection, the quality of the food was disappointing. The fact that both the kitchen and staff were clearly overstretched did not help. Also not helpful was the fact that Turqoiz, the beach front restaurant, had not yet opened.

Service: a mixed bag here. Upon arrival, despite having booked a sea view room, I was assigned a non sea view room, which took a couple of hours to sort out. Service at breakfast and dinner was good but was very slow at lunchtime (hour-long waits for simple salads and sandwiches, etc). Not necessarily the staff’s fault - like I said above, it seems they were simply overstretched. Otherwise, staff were generally courteous and tried to do the best they could with the situation. What I found more irksome was the presence of a small army of managers in suits trotting around the place without making any visible effort to alleviate the situation.
Dined out on two occasions: once at Hakkasan at the Emirates Palace (which I strongly recommend) and once at the Beach House at the Park Hyatt next door, which was also very good and gave us the opportunity to explore the Park Hyatt a little – slightly smaller property, more intimate feel, vastly superior outdoor spaces, better beach and better pools (reminded me of the excellent Chedi in Muscat, Oman).

All in all, although the experience at the St. Regis was generally quite good (though I may be erring on the generous side with my 4 rating considering the reputation of the St. Regis brand), there were some issues. Needless to say, some of these issues are likely to be resolved with time (e.g. the service wrinkles), whilst some, like the design and layout of the outdoor areas, are more structural. Like I mentioned at the beginning, were I to go Abu Dhabi again, I would almost certainly stay at the Park Hyatt – it is a more elegant property.

Room Tip: Do pay the little extra for a sea view
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review.
I am pleased to see that your overall stay with us was satisfactory and we are constantly working on service improvement for our guests.
I do hope to change your mind upon return to the resort and looking forward to welcome you back.

John Pelling,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

I planned a 1 night 2 days quick getaway with my wife:

- mistake #1: Was to book directly through the hotel, they bluff you with "best rates for Starwood members" then you find out that people got at least 20% better rates via booking through either agents or online booking portals.

- mistake #2: Never trust them when they say "Superior Sea View Room": despite my starwood membership and the premium cost they charged me, they gave me a room that overlooks a construction yard for some other adjacent hotel from one side, the hotel itself from another side and a distant partial sea view somewhere in the background.

- mistake #3: you call them to change your room, they try to convince you that your room is a good one and that they dont have available rooms. Eventually after they aggravate you and you threaten to leave the hotel + cancel your membership in the hotel they start to work on "checking availabilities" to accommodate your request. All that aggravation is not really worth it when you are going on a getaway with your wife for 1 night!

- mistake #4: never trust them when they say "Oh certainly sir, we will send the butler to help you with that!", after a big fight, I managed to change the room into what a direct sea view (which is what I booked in the first place); after which it took them 2.5 hours, 6 phone calls, 6 promises to send someone to relocate us to the next room... The worst part is that they tell you to stay put in the room until they send someone!

- mistake #5: you try to book in their restaurants, "sorry sir, fully booked"... so where do we have dinner when we are in a hotel in the middle of no-where?! in the buffet restaurant that resembles the lobby! After another fight, they "found" us places, we go to the place to find it LITERALLY 1/2 empty indoors and it stayed that way until we left (we are one of the last people to leave that night).

- mistake #6: The beach itself is average, but try going into the water, one of those razor sharp stones will surely puncture your foot (combat boots would come in handy here). In the morning I had a long run outside the hotel to the beach next to St Regis and came across the best beaches Ive seen in my life... they haven’t done the due diligence on their beach front...

Room Tip: Make sure they dont bluff you with a "sea view" room that overlooks the sea partially with...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Dani,

I was truly disappointed to read your comment and of course I am sorry for any shortfalls in our service that you experienced. Whilst we are a new hotel, the majority of guest feedback received to date has been extremely encouraging so your comment stood out. Obviously you have a dim view of the hotel for which I am sorry about and would welcome an opportunity to discuss these issues further with you. I can be contacted at StRegis.Saadiyat@stregis.com or should you visit the city in the weeks ahead, please do contact me directly and I will attempt to change your view.

Brig, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Stayed there during the week so it was a bit more quiet but with the advantage that we could easily use all outlets and facilities as I have heard from friends that the resort had been booked out recently several times.

We stayed at a room with ocean view what I recommend as a must since it is just stunning.

Overall good service & staff has a positive service attitude. We were positively surprised with the Butler service since we haven't come across that concept from other hotels. These guys really added a personal touch to our stay.

Best newcomer in town and probably soon a landmark which is the new benchmark for Abu Dhabi! Watch it!

Room Tip: Ocean View, Superior Rooms have large bathrooms, make use of the butler service!
Dear Philipp,

Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi. Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
At St. Regis, we believe our staff, including our signature St. Regis Butler service, is our biggest asset and cater to providing truly memorable experiences.

I look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Overall, the St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort is a very nice, brand-new property. At the moment it is just a "Very Good" experience, but I would expect it to get to "Excellent" once some of the start-up wrinkles are ironed out. The shortage of dining options (see below) needs to be adressed.

Check-in
- Very friendly welcome with Arabian coffee, dates and cold towels. Nice.
- Actual check-in took way too long; waited for 20 minutes just to be told that our rooms were not ready (which was ok, as it was only 12.30 PM) - if you know that rooms are not ready, tell me upfront and let me have lunch instead of watching you processing what felt like 25+ steps with my passport, credit card, forms, etc. Below standard.

Rooms
- We booked four rooms; two of them were upgraded to St Regis Suites based on SPG Platinum status
- Both the Seaview rooms and St Regis Suites are gorgeous and very well appointed. Bath rooms are particularly nice, with very good water pressure for the rainfall shower, nice products and good lightening. Amazing.
- Free wireless in all rooms, which is great. Somewhat weak signal in one of the rooms (408).

Facilities
- Grounds are nice with multiple pools, including a quiet adult pool.
- Not (yet?) too much natural shadow but plenty of umbrellas and sun beds which can be covered to provide some protection from the sun
- Separated kids area which looked like a lot of fun
- Beach is somewhat set back from hotel and pools (2min max walk to the water); there are some stones as you get into the water but hotel provides shoes.

Food & Beverage
- Serious shortage of restaurant options; we stayed on Easter weekend, when the hotel was running a full occupancy; tried to make a dinner reservation in the afternoon and were avised that only available option was Olea buffet. It is a very nice buffet, but for a comfortable dinner with friends, I would have much preferred an a la carte option. Disappointed that I was not advised at the (lengthy....) check-in that they are running tight on dinning options; also, I would expect that they hold back some tables for SPG Platinums etc. to provide options.
- The Alea dinner reservation made through the Butler service got lost; was eventually sorted out, but only after I made it clear to the hostess that this was unacceptable; bit an unfortunate start to what was supposed to be a nice dinner
- Olea buffet: nice all-day dinning restaurant with good buffets both in the evening and for breakfast; the buffets provide a large selection, are nicely presented and well maintained throughout service. Service staff seemed a bit unorganized, running around, rearranging tables, umbrellas, etc. in the middle of dinner service. I would advise to have assigned waiters for each table (currently it seems everyone is doing everything...)
- Very nice lunch at Thai restaurant near the pools; excellent food and attentive service. Small hick up when the waiters brought our two small kids at the table strawberry shakes - at the beginning of the meal and without asking the mother first... very nice, well meant gesture, but made it hard to convince the kids to eat anything else....!
- Service at main pool needs improvement; way too slow. Much better at adult pool.

- Despite its high-end positioning, the St. Regis maintains a beach resort like feeling, which is exactly what we were looking for
- Very family friendly with plenty of kids running around. Good idea to have the adult pool, which provides a more quiet environment for couples etc.
- No special SPG Platinum recognition beyond the (very generous) room upgrades at check-in (e.g. welcome letter, free breakfast, etc.)
- With few exceptions, staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful - with a bit more training and experience, they will be able to truly set this hotel apart from similar properties in the UAE.

Room Tip: Depending on whether you plan to go more to the adult pool or the main (family) pool, ask for a room...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi. Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review. We appreciate the fact that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you especially mention our friendly staff. Thank you for they suggestions provided and I will be happy to share these with me team.

I hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind regards,

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just got back from 4 nights here with my husband and 14 year old son. Hotel gorgeous and setting beautiful. Bathroom best I have ever seen in a hotel. Sontaya restaurant our absolute favourite. I think the have got the wrong restaurant as its signature one - the 5th and 55th was lovely but I much prefer the setting, the food and the lovely lovely staff at the Sontaya. You are a bit out of it on saadiyat but we didn't want to do that much anyway. A trip to Ferrari world was all we did. Staff all really lovely, but then again, they should be, as it is very expensive here. All in all a lovely break.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi. I am glad that your stay with us was wonderful.
I look forward to welcoming you back at our resort.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Arrived late at night from a long flight up from Sydney. Picked up from AUH airport by hotel shuttle, late model back Audi, very comfortable.

Check in quick and easy, clerk had lived in New Zealand so had a chat about that.

Was shown to our room, staff can't do enough to help. Was hesitant about sharing a room with my colleague, but the room was quite large, and we both had enough personal space.

Bathroom was fantastic, shower was great, although two mornings there was no hot water. On the second morning this happened, I phoned the front desk and a technician was promptly send to the room. Wasn't offered anywhere else to shower or any real apology however, not what I would expect from a St. Regis. We didn't have any more problems on other mornings.

The hotel itself was great, with plenty of dining options. We had dinner twice at Sontaya Restaurant, which was fantastic both times. Breakfast was outstanding, and service staff remembering my order and drink preferences from day to day.

The hotel is brand new, and was still undergoing construction when we stayed there, this was not disruptive in any way. They were mainly still finishing the Villas on the drive into the hotel complex.

Location wise, it's a bit out of the way from the city of Abu Dhabi, we had a 20 - 30 min commute each day into the city to work. We hardly got to spend any time here, but would love to visit again on a Holiday and relax on the private beach.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
John_Pelling, General Manager at The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.
While I do apologize for the inconvenience experienced with the shower, I am pleased that you highlighted our staff throughout your review. At St. Regis, we believe our staff makes all the difference in ensuring a guest’s stay with us is memorable.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back at the resort.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Having read a few mixed reviews we werent really sure what to expect, however we went with an open mind and weren't disappointed. Prior to arriving we received an email from our "Butler" asking about any special requirements - we mentioned it was our anniversary.

The drive down from Dubai was very easy and pleasant - with lovely views of the mangroves. The turnoff is clearly signposted, with the Hotel being surrounded by St Regis villas. Some of this area is still under construction, however upon entering the Hotel area - all is completed.

The St Regis is very minimalistic and "un-bling", with colours being in muted shades of beige and sand - with turquoise highlights. All very restful, and different from what you usually get in this part of the world. Check-in was efficient, and we were wished a happy anniversary.

Our room was on the 3rd floor with a sea view. It was lovely - again in the same beige tones. However it was the bathroom that made it all spectacular - it was the same length as the room with a huge walk in shower, stand alone tub, 2 sinks and a view out over the swimming pools. In an ideal world - this would be my dream bathroom! Robes were big and fluffy, and the toiletries of high quality.

The bed was big and extremely comfortable - reminded me of the Westins "Heavenly Bed". A fan over the bed also gave a lovely breeze rather than having to rely on the a/c. There was a high quality Bose sound system with i-pod docking station.

We initially had drinks down by the swimming pool with a small bar snack. Both arrived quickly and were tasty. We then had dinner in the Asian Cuisine restaurant - with lovely views out over the pool and beach. All outside tables had been reserved, however as the evening was cool the side windows folded back to let in the night air.

Our server, Mona (or MuMu) was very attentive and pleasant to chat to. Food was good.

Breakfast was served in the main Hotel and offered plenty of choice. At the moment this restaurant doesnt have a pork license, but I was informed that this would change. There was so much on offer that this wasnt a problem at all. Staff were all very attentive, and there seemed like alot of them!

The facilities for children seemed very good, with a dedicated pool with slide and play area. The beach near the sea however is a little rocky.

It is obviously a new hotel as many of the palm trees havent quite 'relaxed'into their new locations yet. However I am sure that in a few months when the plants have all bedded down it will be very beautiful. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are worth it. Garden rooms not as private as overlooked and share grassy area.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Greetings from The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort, Abu Dhabi and thank you for taking the time to respond with such a detailed review.
I am pleased to read that you especially recognize our attentive staff, including our butlers, a hallmark of what St. Regis stands for.
And yes, our bathrooms certainly don’t go unnoticed as we believe while at a resort, you should get the opportunity to relax and unwind at every juncture of your stay.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back at the resort and thank you again for your feedback..

John Pelling,

Been to The St. Regis Saadiyat Island Resort? Share your experiences!