“Value for money and close to amenities” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cristal Salam Hotel

You added Cristal Salam Hotel to your Saves list
Cristal Salam Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8th Salam Street -Tourist Club Area, Abu Dhabi 107523, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #11 of 117 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
SIN
“Value for money and close to amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my family. As per other reviews, clean, good service and value for money. The bed, pillow and duvet are super comfortable. The bathroom had a bathtub as well as some fancy sound system that was linked to the tele. Buffet breakfast provided had a good spread. The area around the hotel seems safe. 24 hour supermarket just a block away, Abu Dhabi Mall just 10 minutes. Taxis readily available, similar to everywhere in the city.

Swimming pool is located at the top floor and is covered. So forget about trying to get a tan up there :P

Just a side note, taxi from the airport to the hotel is at a flat rate of 70AED. Beware of touts in the airport. Follow the signs in the airport that will lead you to a taxi stand outside the airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Arabic first
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at the Cristal Salam hotel for a week in March 2013 and found the staff warm, welcoming, friendly and yet not at all intrusive. The breakfast was lovely, rooms very comfortable and bar very pleasant. The only thing that disappointed me slightly was that the pool felt like it was in the middle of the bar area, and wasn't therefore really suitable for swimming or sunbathing. If I was booking a trip back to Abu Dhabi, I'd be very happy to stay there again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

A fantastic hotel, great value and totally focused on the customer. I ended up here by accident but I felt very lucky to have found this place. Abu Dhabi has some very expensive hotels that don't always have the feel that the price would suggest. Cristal Salaam is great value for money but the best thing is the service which is fixated on customer service.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed for a week at the Cristal Salam hotel and felt at home. The staff are very well trained, which is a contrast to many of the places I have stayed in GCC countries. The building itself, the furnishings and public areas, are all new and tastefully put together. The upstairs roof-top bar with an outside area and pool is a good place to relax on an evening and the Korean restaurant had excellent food and service. The breakfast buffet was very good and the spa also of top quality with a very well trained masseuse, "Be". The only point for improvement would be to enable guests to open their windows - I can understand why this is not allowed during the summer with 40+ degree heat, but in early March with 20-25 degree weather this fresh air into the room would have been nice to have. The hotel is pretty well located and the prices excellent for what you get. I would stay here again and can recommend it without hesitation as a good-value hotel for business travellers.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My colleague and I stayed for three weeks. This was the longest I've ever stayed continuously in one hotel. I will definitely return to Cristal if I return to Abu Dhabi. Convenient location, cheerful staff, modern rooms. The chef at Vertigo restaurant is excellent (braised lamb & surf 'n turf recommended) and the meals and drinks are not expensive, especially during happy hour. Bar staff Alex, Sanja, Zorya, & Malina were very friendly to us as were breakfast restaurant staff, front desk George and others, duty manager Litzl and general manager Syd, all regularly took interest in our stay. Gym very well equipped.

Cambridge, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I booked this hotel due to the consistently good reviews on Trip Advisor. I stayed with a colleague during 'IDEX' week in February 2013. This is always a busy week for hotels in Abu Dhabi. Our stay was pleasant enough. The rooms were nice and generally well serviced, although the minibar was never replenished during one week's stay.

Breakfast in the Korean restaurant was plentiful with a wide range cold and hot items. The staff both in the restaurant and on the front desk were excellent and quite helpful.

My opinion of Cristal Salam was drastically affected by the attitude and rudeness of the person on the front desk when it came to check-out. This person turned out to be the manager of the hotel!

When I received my bill there was a large discrepancy between the rate I had booked and the rate that was being charged. The discrepancy with the bill manifested itself in two ways:

1. The rate I was charged was some 20% more that the "fully inclusive of tax" rate I booked.

2. The rate I was charged varied from night-to-night, whereas I booked a rate which was the same each night.

When I challenged the bill (by showing my confirmation email) the manager spent ages checking on his computer and then phoned somebody at another office. After much time and argument, he said that this happens all the time with bookings from Bookings.com. If this happens all the time, why did he have to spend so long thinking about it and talking to other people? He should have known about the "problem" straight away.

We argued for ages, with him becoming ruder and ruder towards me. Frankly, I have never been treated in such a way by the manager of an establishment. In the end I had to pay the bill, although I signed the credit card receipt "UNDER PROTEST".

In summary, be very careful with reservations with this hotel. Reconfirm your rate both before you arrive and when you check-in. If you don't like what they are going to end up charging you - find another hotel. Luckily Abu Dhabi is on a hotel building spree at the moment and there are plenty of other hotel options available (as compare with 5 years ago).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cristal H, General Manager at Cristal Salam Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to flag some positives ( room, breakfast, friendliness of team), & my sincere apologies on any eventual aggravation caused by your check out experience.

Allow me to clarify 2 points you raised; firstly, the website through which you booked always displays our hotel rates exclusive of taxes. So when you do pay the bill, another 16% is added on for Tourism & Service charges. Secondly, rates at any hotel vary from day to day. Once again, the website you booked through would have quoted you the average rate over the period of stay. Thus you were quoted a constant rate ( the average), but in our hotel system, the rates would vary. If you average out our fluctuating rate, I am sure it would equal the constant rate you were expecting.

I hope you will accept my explanation above. We would never look to over charge our guests, & I trust that you will notice from our other 230+ reviews, the extremely positive experiences our guests have always had.

My apologies for the clear misunderstanding with our Front Desk Manager, & I shall definitely review this case with him.

You are right, there are plenty of hotel options in town, but I do hope you will choose to return, & give us the pleasure, & privilege to correct your impression of our hotel that happpened unfortunately in the last stage of your stay with us.

Sid Sattanathan
ClusterGeneral Manager
Cristal Salam
Cristal Abu Dhabi
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Both my colleagues and I stayed in this hotel at Abu Dhabi from 18 to 20 Mar 13. I found that all the staff in this hotel is very friendly and always serve with a sweet friendly smile. Even the manager in-charge of housekeeping talked to us during one of our breakfast time in the hotel. This was a very good gesture as the hotel management staff also walk and feel the ground. Inputs and feedback from the ground is important for continuous improvement and ensureing guests has the most wonderful stay in the hotel. As for the room, it was very clean and also the housekeeping staff was enthusiatic and friendly too. Overall, I felt very comfortable and the stay was fantastic. Surely, I will come back to this hotel on my next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, & it is encouraging to note that guests like yourself notice, & appreciate the focus we place on Managers walking the hotel, & looking to engage & interact with our valued guests.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Abu Dhabi.

Kind regards,

Sid Sattanathan
Cluster General Manager
Cristal Salam
Cristal Abu Dhabi

Been to Cristal Salam Hotel? Share your experiences!