“Great Hotel for Business Travellers” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
MAGNIFIQUE BREAKFAST
Ranked #7 of 116 hotels in Abu Dhabi
Paris, France
“Great Hotel for Business Travellers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed during IDEX exhibition. Brand new hotel (1 year old). Personnel is extremely kind. Rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable. I put 3 for the bed because I found it a bit hard for my taste. Location is not glamour. It is on Corniche road. Well situated for business. Swimming pool is nice but stuck in the middle of tall buildings and windy. For leasure, there are much better hotels in Abu Dhabi.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche! I am pleased to know that our Ambassadors were able to make your visit comfortable and that you liked our room decor.

To enhance your leisure experience, we have recently launched a complimentary shuttle that goes to Corniche Beach and Marina Mall.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope that you give us another chance to create a Magnifique experience for you.

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Arabic first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Arriving in a hire car on the wide and somewhat chaotic roads in Abu Dhabi we quickly spotted the Sofitel due to its large building complex and prominent position on the Corniche. Unfortunately what then followed was a number of failed attempts to access the hotel where it was achingly close but segregated by a road barrier as we once again plunged into a tunnel headed elsewhere and the hotel faded from view. Tip - Once you know how, the hotel is easily accessed but if you are driving yourself make sure you get clear instructions for arrival as it is somewhat tricky given the roadworks going on outside.

When we finally arrived we were greeted by a brigade of door staff/valets who swiftly exchanged our car for a valet ticket and ushered us inside the hotel. Once inside first impressions were of a very grand, clean and modern hotel exactly what you would expect from the Sofitel brand. We were greeted and given hot towels and then escorted to the club lounge to check -in. On arrival in the club lounge we were offered complimentary drinks (despite it being 23:30) and the check-in formalities were quickly completed. We were provided with a brief on the hotel facilities and the benefits of club level access. We were then escorted to our room where our luggage had already been delivered despite us providing neither a name nor a room number to the door staff (very impressive seamless service that was to be repeated throughout our stay).

The room was generously appointed with a large super king bed, large bathroom with walk in shower and a bath and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Corniche and the Gulf beyond. There was a plate of welcome chocolates and the room had already been turned down. The bed proved to be particularly comfortable and the room very pleasant for our one week stay. My only minor gripe is that with the curtains shut there was really nothing to suggest that you were in the Middle East (with the exception of the Qibla). It really wouldn't hurt to make the rooms slightly less homogeneous and introduce some kind of Arabic/Islamic art.

The following morning we went to the club lounge for breakfast and were greeted (by name) by staff that we had not previously met - very impressive. Breakfast was good and service excellent. It is however, annoying and unusual that having access to the club lounge does not allow you to opt to take breakfast in the main restaurant as it does in most other hotels. The selection in the club lounge was more than adequate and the service impeccable however as we were one of only two tables having breakfast in the lounge it would have been nice to be able to do this somewhere that was a little less soulless.

The lounge offered the usual benefits with complimentary breakfast, snacks, pastries, hors d'oeuvres, evening cocktails, etc.. The service was impeccable and unusually I feel need to mention two staff in particular for their outstanding service. Pamela and the young Sri Lankan gentleman (don't want to mis-spell his name). The only way I could really fault the lounge was that it was too quite and we were often the only guests there. However, that is not exactly something that one can blame the hotel for.

When we went to collect our car for various sojourns in Abu Dhabi and beyond I was pleasantly surprised to find that valet parking was free for hotel guests. This combined with free (but sometimes temperamental) wifi were great bonuses where many hotels would charge.

The location has been commented on by many other reviews. True, there is no beach but they do offer a free shuttle and you can walk to the beach in about 30 minutes along the Corniche. True, at the time we were there (mid February) the pool really didn't get the sun. However, what I really liked about the location was the ability to explore Abu Dhabi without having to drive everywhere. Despite the ubiquity of taxis there is something about exploring a city by walking that provides more of a feel for the local ambience and culture. This also meant that we were able to walk to local restaurants and not be resigned to constantly eating in hotels and resorts.

Finally mention must be made of the pool bar. Due to it being in the shade during the day we did not spend much time there. However, at night it takes on a different vibe with trendy lighting and a relatively lively atmosphere. The ability to smoke shisha outside seems to be a draw for locals. We almost missed this as we wondered how busy a pool bar could be at night but it is definitely worth a visit.

If you are looking for a resort hotel that replicates the Dubai experience, this is not it. However, if you are looking for a grown up hotel in a good location to explore and enjoy Abu Dhabi, I really could not recommend the Sofitel more.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. I am pleased that you enjoyed the room, amenities and different outlets that we have for guests.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our Ambassadors as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for your wonderful feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Sofitel has a very nice design and offers good service by friendly employees. Reception is top. During my stay I had some practical issues related to the conference I was attending elsewhere in the city and the receptionist solved them all quickly. Rooms are spacious and well designed. 2 remarks though: I don't understand that such a new and beautiful hotel didn't install Nespresso machines and Ipod docks in the room. There is the well known water heather instead with Nescaffee and a Boose radio with not very good receipt of some local radio stations. This certainly doesn't make it a bad hotel ofcourse, but it is a missed opportunity in my opinion for a hotel of that level.
The bathroom is wonderful and I dare to stay they have the best hotel shower I've ever experienced!
To save time, I ordered breakfast to my room. It was delivered exactly on time and was very tasteful. Housekeeping forgot to give me a new breakfast-order form after the first day. I immediately received a new one from the reception. However, they didn't learn from this small mistake as the same thing happened the day after again.
The hotel had a good location for me. Corniche very close and in no time you're in the middle of the action of the city. I had a conference in the Rotana Beach Hotel and walked the distance every day (20 mins walk) which was nice in the early morning sun.
I tried the hotel pool one evening and it was brilliant. It was already dark, but it was a very special feeling to swim in the middle of 5 illuminated towers! Water temperature was good and the poolboy showed me the way to the warm jacuzzi afterwards. It's also very nice to eat around the pool, even for dinner if you prefer a light and healthy meal.
All in all a very beautiful designed hotel, with great service and facilities!

Room Tip: I asked for a room that faced the sea and got it :) It's a great way to start the day with that...
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your visit.

Your feedback is very important to us, I have taken note of your comments and we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The hotel is very new (barely a year old), but offers exceptional quality. Namely:

- The design is fantastic. The floors themselves as the rooms look chic, modern, and very tasteful.
- The beds are the best I've ever slept in. Highly recommended!
- Very good food. Multiple Restaurants, all serving excellent quality food with a large variety of tastes.
- Modern equipment within the rooms, minimum 40" flat screen TVs, excellent hair-dryer, lots of (also foreign) TV programs etc.
- Exceptional rain-shower, and rest-room equipment in general.
- Very good AC, that can cool and heat the room, and if desired only act as a fan.
- You can open a window in the rooms, even on lower floors. Fantastic!
- Excellent WifI/Internet quality, a basic service with 1 MBit/s is free of charge (was more than enough for me)! A high speed option is available.
- Wireless Phone & very good Bose sound system in every room
- The whole staff is very friendly and supportive. I was always treated with respect and dignity, and they offered all services I requested. Fantastic!
- Top notch swimming pool, sauna and spa facilities.

Although being a very good 5-star hotel, there's still (small) room for improvement. Namely:

- An Iron-Board & Ironer is missing in the rooms. The requested one was of low quality and had no steam option.
- The laundry service is excellent, but expensive. A regular short will cost you 35 Dhr (7€), which is a lot.
- The TVs offer an external input-"box", in which you can plug-in any HDMI- or USB-device to connect it to the TV - but unfortunately you cannot select those inputs on the TV. This is due to the fact that the remote is not directly controlling the TV, but a connected MediaBox that is streaming the TV-program. The TVs' buttons cannot be used because the TV is in hotel-mode, in which they are turned off.

Putting it in a nutshell - if you want to stay in Abu Dhabi, stay in the Sofitel. I've stayed in a couple of hotels in the middle east, the Sofitel at the Corniche is by far the best I've ever been in. Fantastic Service, fantastic quality on all levels, best location in town - what else do you want?

A+

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
PR_SofitelAbuDhabi, General Manager at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. I am pleased that you enjoyed the room, the room decor, and the amenities that we have.

Your feedback is very important to us, thank you for letting us know that you encountered challenges with some of our equipment. Rest assured that we are doing our best to improve on our products and services based on our guests' needs.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

UAE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We are a married couple living in Abu Dhabi, we stayed at Sofitel on New year's Eve for one night only and were offered a late checkout the next day.

Although we live in Abu Dhabi we wanted to spend that special night in a hotel and since Sofitel is fairly new we booked it.

The hotel itself is beautiful, the room was gorgeous, the only reason I rated cleanliness a 3 is that we found an empty water bottle on the floor of our room next to the bed which gave us the impression that the room was hastily readied and cleaned for us.

There's a great selection of food in the room service menu so we ordered breakfast in bed the next day and it was scrumptious.

Despite the cleanliness issue I would still recommend Sofitel.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I sincerely apologize for the empty bottle in your room. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche!

Barossa Valley, South Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Room: Luxury Room with Club access

The hotel is very new (only opened a year or so) so everything is very shiny and modern. Checkin was fast and seamless and April was very warm and welcoming.

ROOMS:
The rooms were fantastic. The bed was the usual Sofitel cloud. The TV was a large widescreen. I found it interesting there is a DVD library to hire DVDs from, but no DVD player in the room? Free Wifi and ethernet connections which ran at good speed. Comfortable rain shower.

Pro: Complimentary stable wifi
Con: Bathroom tiles in shower already showing wear. No DVD player in room.

CLUB ACCESS:
The staff on the Club floor are nothing short of fantastic. Nothing was too much to ask.
Breakfast was a smallish spread and the staff take your egg and tea/coffee order promptly. There's some hot foods, fruits, breads, yoghurt - all the good stuff needed to start your day.

Other food provided throughout the day were good (the quiches were great!) and of course complimentary softies all day.

FACILITIES:
The pool was reasonably sized, but didn't seem to be heated in winter. The gym was adequate, but if the hotel was at capacity it would be crowded and squishy. Personal trainer was offered.

The concierge was very helpful in assisting us to plan our days.

I would definitely return the next time I visit Abu Dhabi.

Room Tip: If the cost is small (around $30pp p/n) upgrade to Club access. Higher floor rooms and other benefit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We are happy to know that you liked all the services provided by our Ambassadors, the room décor, the views and the choices provided during breakfast.

Darlington, South Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked prestige suite and it was worth every penny. Great personilized service from the moment we walked in reception to the moment we left. Sofitel is our favorite hotel to stay in when traveling and we have have not been dissappointed yet. The beds are awesome and you will definitey get a good nights rest in their beds. Highly recommend Sofitel to those traveling to Abu Dhabi or any other destination where there is a Sofitel. It is SOgood. Thank you Abu Dhabi Staff for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Nael El-Wary

Been to Sofitel Abu Dhabi Corniche? Share your experiences!