“Very posh, bad service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Millennium Al Wahda

You added Grand Millennium Al Wahda to your Saves list
Grand Millennium Al Wahda
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hazza Bin Zayed Street | Al Wahda Complex, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates   |
Ranked #51 of 118 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Very posh, bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I live in Abu Dhabi and stayed here for over 2 months so I know this hotel very well. The ammenities are very nice - great pool on the roof (though much of it doesnt get sun but 2 hours a day), killer workout facilities/gym, good spa, and solid restaurants like the new one Porter's Pub. The rooms are also nice and luxurious, in particular the "hotel apartments" that are used for long term stays.

The location is great - right next to a mall, except for when you realize there is like 1 lane of traffic to get in/out of the hotel....and the mall! In the evening it can easily take 10-15 minutes just to get into the hotel from the street.

On the negative side they appear to be using technology from 1950 to run their business. It takes no less than 10 minutes to check into (or out of) the hotel becuase they have to print out multiple pieces of paper and put a hold charge on your credit card. Rediculous. Usually a hotel this nice they dont need to pre-bill your credit card like you are going to run out on the bill and skip town.

In addition their loyalty program is a joke. As I said, I've stayed there for months and have had to call managers to get any of my loyalty points. I've been told varies lies by the front desk like "your points are coming just wait" and "the rate you booked is not eligible for points". These were both not true and clearly something they were just saying to get me to walk away.

GM - treat your loyal guests better and they will recommend your hotel to friends/colleagues

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMAW_2012, General Manager at Grand Millennium Al Wahda, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Leopold S,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your experience with us.

I am sorry that our service fell short of your expectation on your recent stay with us.

I have initiated an investigation about your loyalty program, please do not hesitate to contact us for further inquiry that you might have to clarify and resolve the issue.

We want you to know that we value your comments and will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that incidences such as this do not happen again in the future

Yours sincerely

Atef Elias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel before but this time for a longer period I have the followings comments
1- check in time last almost an hour , system was very slow and it gets freezed twice
2- elvators taking so long to come to the required floor,
3- I ordered a dinner that took an hour to be served and it was COLD ..I did complain but still charged me for it.
4- newspaper included in the room rate, and it was not delivered
5- water pressure is weak in the bathroom and shower
6- trainee staff is left alone to serve guest without proper monitor
7- wi fi is soooo slow and frequently disconnect

Room Tip: Take room 1821 or the above floors 27 28
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mamounalhilali

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

All the details you have mentioned are very valuable to us and I have personally ensured that measures have been put in place to prevent a recurrence.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service on this occasion.

With best regards,

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

very comfortable stay at this 5 * hotel close to everything you need to do in AuDhabi the taxis are very cheap to go where you need i.e. to the public beach one of the nicest and cleanest beach i visited

Room Tip: ask for a room at the higher floors there are 30 floors i had a beautiful city vieuw fantastic
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
GMAW_2012, General Manager at Grand Millennium Al Wahda, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Beat F,

I am pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay with us.

Your thoughtful feedback is extremely helpful and important to us in delivering the highest levels of quality and service to our valuable guest.

We hope to welcome you back in the very near future to the Grand Millennium Al Wahda Hotel.

Kind regards,

Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

First of all I am furious at the new opening of Porter's Pub! I am here for a few weeks of visit and I frequent the pub since its opening. I was refused entry by the bouncer claiming it is full. Full! It is not a night club or a disco! It is a pub! it is meant to be full. Otherwise how will it make business? This is the first time a so called 'pub' refused an entry this is completely outrageous! Your management should rethink their strategy about this, Pubs are meant to be pouring that is what a pub is and what kind of Porter's Pub it is that doesn't serve steak?

Valet parking is completely useless! It takes more than half an hour to retrieve my car while there are a bunch of them just standing at the front door doing nothing! It is like I could spend the night at the hotel while waiting for my car's retrieval! Absolutely rubbish! Not a 5 star standard as it boasts itself on the door way.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is set in the middle of Abu Dhabi, on several floors and with a marbled lobby leading to a set of reception desks - well set out when you enter. But once you get through the reception and are led to your room prepare yourself. We had two rooms booked; when we got to one it had not been made. Sheets all over and basically arrived at 9.30pm to a room vacated by a guest but not cleared for the next! It took such a long time to get this sorted and one cleaner took 5 minutes saying the job was done, only for us to realise that he had simply pulled the sheets over the bed again. In general cleanliness was very poor, especially the all-important bathroom. Badly managed, no-one seemed to know what they are doing. Breakfast was average and the restaurant it was served in looked more like a Holiday Inn restaurant. The waiter just didn't seem to understand us - all we wanted was a cup of tea...
5 star? No way.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Okeechobee, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My partner's office is located next door -- so I thought I would try this hotel again as I have stayed here before during the IDEX show.

So I check in. They try to put a hold of 1500 AED on my card. But it is prepaid I say -- get an oh so they put a 500 AED hold.

They tell me breakfast is included -- as I have book a Club Room I ask why? Oh someone will call you an tell you your privileges. So I check in and would like to have a coffee in the lounge and read the local paper. Go down to executive lounge -- guess what there is no lounge - closed...

That did not stop them from selling me a club room with lounge privileges.

So if you want a good hotel that caters to business people -- stay away and go to the Rotana Beach or the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Don't chose a club room there is NONE..
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Last week I visited the GrandMillenium Al Wahda for the third time in a 15 months. My previous stays were not 100% satisfactory, but it is because of it's location close to our office. This time my stay was a disaster.

First the 'limousine' pick up service from the airport. Upon arriving there was no limousine, but a small Chevrolet with a trunk to small to fit my suitcase. Since I was alone, we put my (regular!) suitcase on the back seat and I had to sit in front. (What if I would have had guests with me?) The driver apologized for the car, but the 7-series BMW had a broken tyre right before my arrival. That's ok, but when checking out they charged me the full fee! No discussion possible.

When making my reservation I agreed on a certain room that I know has an excellent value for money. Upon arrival (11PM) the room was not available so they DOWNgraded me to a smaller room and still charged me the same rate! Now, who does that? The receptionist said to me I could change rooms the day after and that I would be contacted around three to arrange for that. The next day I have spoken to at least 5 persons, but nothing happened. It was on the third day (of a five day stay) that I walked up to the receptionist that checked me in and told her nothing had changed. She finally arranged it for me. It just took so much effort and time and I felt completely ignored. It was without any respect. The hotel's slogan is that they treat their guests as if they are family. Right,...

Rooms on the Al Wahda mall side are very noisy because of the 240+ airconditioning units on the roof of the mall, all under the bedroom windows of the hotel.

The food is quite good, I would have expected a deduction from my room rate when ordering room service breakfast, now I had to pay twice as it was included in my room rate and charged extra because it was room service. I don't mind paying for breakfast but I find it very unnecessary to pay twice. Again no discussion possible and I was not informed this would be the case. They just bluntly said I should have known. There is not a single pro active action to be expected from the staff. The only act upon comments and even then you have to insist. Staff stays very friendly and 'professional', but without any real compassion.

The only pro active workers are the doormen and luggage helpers.

Beds are good, rooms are very clean, no comments there. Some malfunctions on TV and A/C.

In my room the tv turned on spontaneously during day and night, every time 20 minutes after turning it off, with a hotel promotion trailer telling me how good they take care of their guests,... I actually had to pull the plug. Same with the A/C. Changing it to another temperature only worked for so long, than it 'automatically' turned back to an earlier value.

When checkinig out, again I had to explain all that went wrong. In the end from a total sum of 4.300 AED for 5 nights, I was offered a reduction of only 200(!) AED if I would promise to come back again next time.

I found it an outrage, way below expectations and I will never return here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Millennium Al Wahda? Share your experiences!