“You will finish very wet.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 108 Activities in Abu Dhabi
Type: Tours, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Noukhada Adventure Company provides sailing and kayaking in Abu Dhabi. These can be as tours, lessons, experiences or rentals. We are best known for our kayak mangrove tour. The three main main launch points are at 'E48' (Eastern Mangroves), Yas Beach and Emirates Palace Marina. We now launch into the Al Rahba mangroves to the north of Abu Dhabi. We also offer the snorkel safari.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Al Khor, Qatar
50 attraction reviews
“You will finish very wet.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Recommended by someone who lives here. Lovely idea. Once we finally found the place, even the taxi driver didn't know where it was. Finally found it up a dirt track. All dressed up in life jackets and paddles, embarked down avert step slope to the water. Not wheel chair accessible. Was we had young Boys we shared a kayak one in each. Once we got the idea of paddling and moving at the same time we did ok for a bit, careering into the trees did become a bit of a habit. Very tiring, especially paddling against the tide, and for notveryfit adults with an 8 and 10yr olds we found it very difficult. Thankfully one of the leaders took pity on us and gave us a tow. After manoeuvring around the mangroves for about 45 mins we finally started to go back. I was absolutely exhausted. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Be prepared to get very wet. Bring a change of clothes, right down to shoes and underwear.
It's not something I would do again, but glad I can say I had the experience. I'll leave it to fitter people in future.

Had some local experience vouchers so got it a bit cheaper, but it would have been 500 dirham
For a family of 4 so quite pricey.

Not something I would put on my must do list for Abu Dhabi.

Visited May 2013

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 attraction reviews
“Top Ten UAE Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have lived in the UAE for six years and this is one of the best experiences I have had in all that time.

After a short briefing on safety and paddling technique we were down to the beach and off in our kayaks. At the time of booking I was asked if I wanted a double kayak or two singles and I chose two singles. In hindsight I should have probably gone for the double (as most people on the tour did) as my wife wasn’t too confident in the water initially, but after a time she was OK. From the launch point we went out maybe 200m on the open water in convoy of about 15 people with a guide at the front and back to the first mangrove island, then skirted around the island and through the swamps for a couple of hours and then back home. Having never paddled before my technique wasn’t great and it is quite hard work, but really worth the effort and we had a fantastic time.

Ours was the basic mangrove tour, but there are other tours designed to be more informational about the ecology of mangroves. We will definitely be back when our next set of visitors are in town as this is a brilliant way to spend an afternoon.

Visited May 2013
MarkAbuDhabi, Owner at Noukhada Adventure Company - Day Tours, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Dubai Dickie
Thank you for your kind review and we are very happy that you rate us as one of the 10 things to do when in town. It is not an activity that everyone wants to d,o but we aim to get our guests out of the city, into nature, safely.

As you rightly pointed out, we do run the Eco Tour for a more in depth look at the ecology of the mangroves.

Yours
Noukhada
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Fantastic afternoon out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went on the 3pm Mangroves kayaking tour, and it was brilliant, despite chucking it down with rain. The guide was friendly and helpful, and waited without complaint for the last member of our group to arrive who had gotten lost. We then paddled out to the mangroves, circled them and then ducked in to the tunnels - a long strip of narrow channels where you often have to paddle by hand, and you see lots of crabs (and get stuck on trees if you're me).

A brief stop at a beach, where the guides are happy to chat to you about the local plant and animal life, and you can swim if you like (you might as well, you'll be soaking by this point)(again, probably only if you're me). Then, paddling back to the launch spot arriving within 2 hours of setting off.

A brilliant afternoon with my friends, I would definitely recommend it as an activity. It was a total bargain too as we had Entertainer vouchers.

One piece of advice, when driving there and turning off towards Eastern Road, make sure you take the first right even though it looks wrong - you see a building with barbed wire around the walls and a dirt track, but you are in the right place. Just turn right down the dirt track and you'll find it.

Visited April 2013
Thank you for your kind review and it is not often our guests report back about kayaking in the rain in Abu Dhabi! We are glad that you were still brave enough to venture out with us in that weather.

For other TripAdvisor readers, this must have been a high tide tour, to get through the trees.
Espoo, Finland
11 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Mangroves, easy to do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Price: 150 AED per person for 1.5-2 hours kayaking with a group and guide

Services: There did not seem to be even a toilet at the launch point, so take care of that before you arrive

Equipment: kayaks comfortable and in good shape, and life vests provided

Experience: Very relaxing kayaking in beautiful narrow mangrove paths. No need to have previous experience in kayaking. Not too hot even at the end of April, as we left 08.00 in the morning.

Tips:
-the launch point E48 is a bit easy to miss. At the very end, when you take the first right slip road between the construction and the large building, take the very first right and then immediately right so the big building will actually be on your left side and you come a bit backwards. Then to the sand and drive a bit further so you find the launch point. They s
-they tell to take shoes and not slippers with you. I was without shoes at all, no problem. And the people with slippers were fine as well. The shoes will get wet. I am not quite sure why the emphasize the shoes as in the end the guides say you can leave them out.
-they said it is ok to have 2-3 year old children in the kayak as well, as they can either sit in between the parent's legs or in the middle as a 3rd person in the kayak.

Visited April 2013
MFabudhabi, Owner at Noukhada Adventure Company - Day Tours, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that you enjoyed the experience.

Sadly, the 'E48 launch point' has no facilities at all but it is now the only place left that the public can get launch access to the Eastern Mangroves. All other shoreline has been taken by developments and private villas or is off limits.

We ask our guests to wear shoes that will stay on their feet because the biggest risk of injury on a kayak tour with us, is cut feet if a guest has to walk. The guides should have told you to put the shoes in the back of the kayak if you did not want to wear them. We will address that issue.

For Trip Advisor readers we also launch from Yas Beach for kayak tours there and Yas Beach does have facilities as well as F&B. The Yas Mangroves are not as mature or extensive as the Eastern Mangroves but the bird life is probably better. We have launched a new kayak tour in the Yas Mangroves that involves motoring (by boat) to a start point and then launching the kayaks through an unspoilt mangrove channel.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
18 attraction reviews
“Great Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This was my last tour on a 2 week visit to Abu Dhabi and definately one of my favourites. Our very fun tour guide Mike was informative and interesting. The mangroves are very beautiful. I would highly recommend it!

Visited April 2013
MFabudhabi, Owner at Noukhada Adventure Company - Day Tours, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that you included it in your visit to Abu Dhabi. The green of the mangroves is a very pleasant place to be and so different to the city, and yet so close. Mike,with his wooden paddle, is a great guide and thank you for mentioning him. Yours. Mark