“Slow service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 1,706 Restaurants in Abu Dhabi
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Royal Orchid is a sophisticated Abu Dhabi restaurant offering an excellent selection of Thai and Chinese dishes in a beautifully decorated setting. Choose from the Royal Orchid a la carte menu or chef specialties.
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Slow service... Finished the starter before we got any drinks we'd ordered. Average thai food, pleasant atmosphere. Wouldn't go back

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had heard great things about this restaurant in the Hilton Abu Dhabi and was quite disappointed. My husband is not a fan of Asian cuisine so I took my 7 year old son with me for dinner. We arrived and stood outside waiting for someone to seat us for quite a while before finally ducking into the restaurant to be seated. There seemed to be a lot of staff, but no one was specifically working the desk which was frustrating. We were seated and given some veggies to much on while we were looking at the menu. We were offered still or sparkling water. (BIG MISTAKE. They will give you the expensive bottles 26 dhs unless you ask for the cheap stuff. So irritated that it wasn't an option presented.) Then they upsold my son on a juice when I told them he could just have water. Another MISTAKE at 25 dhs. The same juice is free in the executive areas. UGH. So anyway, we ordered and the staff went about their business.

Everything was SLOW. And part of the problem was that we were seated next to an executive chef from another Hilton and the staff was fawning all over him and his family and the rest of us suffered. I understand that he is part of their "family" but it was pretty obvious that he was being heavily favored. His food came out super quickly. Ours came after his and 2 other tables that were seated 10-15 minutes after us. All we ordered were spring rolls and noodles. LAME.

The food was mediocre. Nothing to write home about. The bill was presented and the gratuity was automatically included.

I honestly wouldn't waste my time again. It just wasn't up to par for the price we paid.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“The 'Wow' Factor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I had my birthday  evening planned out weeks in advance. A few hours before our dinner, and out of the blue,we decided to call The Royal Orchid as we have never been there. Eduardo managed to grab my husband's attention over the phone with an attractive special they were having that night. Cancelling our other reservation, we headed to the Royal Orchid instead; little did we know that our regular evening would turn into a memorable one! With little notice, the amazing Eduardo managed to have the unique booth (that overlooked the whole restaurant) ready for us. We felt welcomed the moment we stepped foot there! Everyone was extremely friendly and happy. We ordered the chef's special which consisted of a 7-course meal. Oh the foood! The food was DELICIOUS! Every dish was elegantly served to us in the perfect time. The food, the mood, the service exceeded expectation! Thank you Eduardo and The Royal Orchid for making our night a very special one! We are looking forward for our next visit!! PS: For a memorable night-call Eduardo! :D

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Gluey Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The restaurant is quite nice and the service is good but the food is not good at all. Very thick and oily sauces with no real taste. I have been to the Salam Street branch and the food there is much better. Better value elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Royal Orchard at Hilton Abu Dhabi - a bit pricey for Thai food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I went here on our 10th wedding anniversary (with 7 year old in tow...) because my wife likes a nice Thai dinner every now and then. We had been here before a couple of years before, and we liked the food and presentation, although each time when the check came, we wondered how we could have possibly spent so much for so little food.

After reviewing the bill, I guess when you get charged $11 USD for 2 small glasses of milk for your child (you can buy a liter of milk for $2.70 USD in Abu Dhabi), you really can't hope to get anything else on the menu for a normal price. The food is very good, and the wait staff is very attentive, but it all comes crashing down when reviewing the bill, and ultimately leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

• Visited October 2012