“Futuristic and fun, but some concerns” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi

Save Saved
You added Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi to your Saves list
Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Yas Island Leisure Drive, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Splash OR Speed
Ranked #17 of 116 hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai
“Futuristic and fun, but some concerns”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Yas Viceroy for a week as part of a business trip in June- we were both working, but still had plenty of time to check out the various aspects of the hotel.

The design and decor of the hotel is futuristic- stunningly so. It honestly wouldn't be our cup of tea, but I can absolutely see how people just love it. It's dazzlingly white, superbly clean and shiny, and (as someone else said) very like staying in a mothership.

I did burst out laughing when I saw our room. I immediately thought "James Bond circa 1968 meets Star Trek". The leather covered swivel chair was just made for a villain stroking a cat.

All in all, the food was good, the beds were comfortable, and the staff were friendly and accommodating.

A few comments (as with my previous reviews, this isn't meant to criticise, but to help other travellers to make decisions)

The design of the rooms isn't suitable for two people who are getting up at different times. The rooms are huge, with huge bathrooms, but the bathrooms are separated from the bedrooms only with walls of frosted glass. If you turn on the (very bright) lights in the bathroom. the whole bedroom lights up with the light through the glass. During our stay at the hotel, we had to be up at different times from each other every day- so one of us might have been getting up at 5 a.m. while the other was getting up at 7.30, etc. It was MONUMENTALLY annoying to have the room as bright as day at 5 a.m. just because my poor husband had to turn on the light in the bathroom to have his shower. (It was even more annoying for him on the days when the schedule was reversed!)

Even if you were there on a holiday, this would be annoying, as if someone has to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night the whole room is flooded with light. We compromised by the end of the week by using the little automatic light in the wardrobe if one of us was getting up/dressed in the early hours. (Cue a lot of thumping about, falling over, and muttered curses.) Design fail? Yes. (Perhaps the designer was single and didn't have to worry about any of this!)

We did notice a slightly musty smell in our room. We weren't too bothered, but I had the occasion to visit two other colleagues' rooms and they smelled very strongly of damp and must. Perhaps it was an a/c issue, but it didn't give a good impression at all.

Regarding the food, it was a little annoying that the main restaurant was buffet ONLY. The buffet was excellent food and pretty good value if you were in the mood to eat your own body weight in roast beef, but if you just wanted a bowl of soup/salad/sandwich for lunch you had to order room service, as there is no restaurant in the hotel that caters for this type of snack. Room service was expensive.

We really liked the Japanese restaurant and found the food and the service absolutely excellent. I would go back to Yas just for that restaurant.

At the weekend the hotel was absolutely jammed with people. There were so many people at breakfast that we were directed to the overflow restaurant. We were all crammed in so tightly that it really wasn't much fun. The staff were doing their absolute best to help everyone but it was a bit of a bun fight, to be honest. If you can, get up early for weekend breakfast.

There isn't a late hotel bar (there isn't really a bar at all, though happy hour on the terrace of the restaurant is pretty good value) so if you want a drink after 11 pm you have to go to the nightclub. The nightclub is simply awful. We popped up just to have a look one night. Because we were hotel guests we were allowed in, but were made to feel that this was A Very Special Treat because it was A Very Exclusive Place. Not, as it turned out. A dreadful, noisy hole of a place full of poseurs and fake smoke- like being stuck in the naffest nightclub in Europe in the 1980s. I pity the poor business person who comes in from a long day and just wants to relax in a quiet bar for an hour, and then finds himself/herself in That Place.

Anyway, that's my assessment. Would I stay there again? Yes, for work if someone else was paying- but I'd bring my eye shades and a scented candle. Would I pay my own money to stay there? Not in a million years.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
YasViceroy, Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Aoibhlinn H,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive review of your recent visit. Whilst it is always pleasing to read that you found everyone to be friendly and accommodating and that you enjoyed your dining experience at Kazu, I am concerned that you found some aspects of your stay challenging.
Yas Viceroy is certainly a striking building, renowned for its’ stunning and unique design. It is this individuality that has been carried through to our guestrooms, and resultantly, bathrooms. I do apologise for your disrupted sleep and will look to include sleeping masks as part of the in-room amenities instead of having them only available on request.
Due to the summer heat in Abu Dhabi, our rooftop bar Skylite was not in operation during your stay. I am delighted to let you know that we have now re-opened, giving our guests another late-night option.
Your comments regarding room service and the availability of lighter dining options are something that I will discuss further with my colleagues. As we have eleven different dining options in the hotel, I apologise that no one was able to direct you to the most appropriate option to meet your requirements.
Whilst I note you would visit Yas Viceroy again in a business capacity, I hope we have the occasion to welcome you back for pleasure.

961 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Braintree, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

With the excellence of the hotel from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave you are in excellent care. With so much to do so closeby and within the hotel the base of the formula one race in Abu Dhabi you have a hotel that changes colour at night.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Nigel H,

I was delighted to read your recent Trip Advisor review. We constantly strive to surpass our guest’s expectations and I am glad, on this occasion, that the service, nearby attractions and unique architecture of Yas Viceroy were to your liking.
On behalf of all my colleagues, we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Oxhill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Great Spa and a la carte restaurants, although disappointing that 2 were shut with no prior notice to our arrival. Very poor breakfast and room service in the hotel and service wasn't quite slick enough to warrant 5*+. A restaurant that wants to charge extra for a cappuccino at breakfast or have it in your room when you spend several thousand pounds staying there obviously doesn't really grasp what staying in a luxury hotel is all about......could do better.....they should visit a Jumeirah, DeVere exclusive or similar to learn..

• Stayed August 2013
Dear KMD70,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit. Whilst I was delighted to read that you enjoyed ESPA and many of our dining options, I am sorry that our Origins breakfast buffet and room service selections did not meet your expectations. Whilst details of any changes to the standard hotel operation are always available on our website, I apologise that in this instance they did not reach you. To ensure that all our guests are aware of the latest hotel information, in future this is something that we will look to include alongside our guest reservation confirmation.
I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Yas Viceroy.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to the Yas Viceroy for three nights on our first trip to the UAE. We were not disappointed as the hotel is lovely, rooms immaculate. The first night we ate at the hotel restaurant which was excellent but we couldn't justify spending that much each night. One surprise was in-room dining was reasonably priced and fantastic. Everywhere we ate , the food was so fresh and tasty. We didn't get the breakfast included at at $40++ each we opted for coffee and cake in the foyer and that was very pleasant and again, reasonably priced. There is a shuttle bus that takes you tithe Marina Circuit (we did a tour of those facilities) and also Ferrari World (two adults, and no queues, but still there about 8 hours). We didn't need a premium upgrade the day we went. We also was going to go on the Big Bus tour but the concierge arranged a private car /tour guide for the same cost and pick up and return to the hotel. He also took us around the Mosque in Abu Dhabi. I would highly recommend you ask for Ershad to arrange Saheed for a private tour as it was my highlight. Overall service, food, room all excellent and even though 30mins from Abu Dhabi which at first felt quite isolating, it worked out well and we got to do everything we wanted in the short time we had. Be careful though with the timing as some things weren't available such as the drivers experience at the Yas Marina Circuit and Ferrari World closed Mondays so best to ask first before locking in your dates if you have specific things in mind.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
YasViceroy, Manager at Yas Viceroy Abu Dhabi, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear cbr_13,

It was wonderful to read that you chose to stay with us on your first UAE adventure. I am glad that you were able to enjoy, not only the world-class attractions on Yas Island, but those in nearby Abu Dhabi. It is always pleasing to know that we have provided excellent service, dining and accommodation options for a guest.
I sincerely hope that we are able to welcome you on your next Abu Dhabi adventure.

Holbeach, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed at the yas viceroy on the first week of September, thought the hotel was very modern and luxurious. The room was absolutely lovely with free wifi everywhere. We dined in the buffet most nights and have to say that Sanjeewa Somaratne the chef was very friendly and accommodating with the food, nothing much too much trouble for him to do. My boyfriend is a very fussy vegetarian and he would make up a vegetarian option for him with no quibbles. Even the Friday brunch he showed us round and explained all the meals that were on offer. He really did make it a better holiday. All food we tried was excellent. The only thing I would say negative is the hotel could do some entertainment at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Simon H,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I was delighted to read that we were able to meet your dining requirements, and I have passed on my personal congratulations to Sanjeewa.
I note your comments about entertainment options and want to take this opportunity to let you know that Skylite, our rooftop lounge reopened on 15 September. As the weather is cooling down, movie nights in our Palm Garden will commence shortly and Rush, the only nightclub in the world built over a F1 racetrack, will continue to open Thursday – Monday from 10pm-3.30am.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Yas Viceroy.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed at the Yas for a stopover on-route to Sydney. As a keen F1 fan, I treated myself and was not disappointed.
The room was huge, with a wonderful bathroom with sliding glass doors you can play with for ages! The room overlooked the F1 track and as it was positioned behind the colour changing exterior grid, the view was a little dull.
The hotel is huge, and you can spend quite some time wondering the corridors looking for something to do and somewhere to go, but as I went in April and just after a dust storm, the place was deserted.
Good experience though but wouldn't repeat it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear oldbarbie 1,

I was pleased to read that that your recent stay was an enjoyable one, and as an F1 fan, you were not disappointed.
Whilst I am delighted that you found our guestrooms to be wonderfully appointed, I am sorry that your location under the LED grid shell impeded your view. If you ever change your mind and wish to visit us again, be sure to request a room with a view of the adjoining Yas Marina or Palm Garden.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from Abu Dhabi and stayed at the Yas hotel. We flew into Dubai airport which we chose for the flight convenience times. The journey took one and a half hours, had we flown into Abu Dhabi airport this trip would have taken ten minutes ( will know for next time ). On approach to the hotel, it is truly breath taking, we were ushered into the reception area and met by the Reception staff, who were friendly, efficient and extremely helpful with all our requests. We were shown to our room and all the gadgets were explained to my husband.
The rooms are huge , ultra modern and beautifully equipped with everything you would need.
The bathrooms have a great deal of glass, which may not be to everyone's taste. The restaurants have an excellent selection of different foods and all tasted amazing .All soft drinks are complimentary. We would recommend the Yas waterworld and Ferrari World, courtesy buses are supplied every 38 minutes. Tickets can be purchased within the hotel, if you plan to do the two , buy the discounted ticket, it will save you around 200 DHS. There are two swimming pools, both of which are quite small, but safe for the little ones and an adult pool on the 8th floor which overlooks the track. The poolside food was fantastic and extremely reasonable. For the quality of the hotel this is excellent value for money and would highly recommend this outstanding hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main hotel overlook the race track, Rooms situated over the bridge, face the marina. Th...