“good place” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
abu dhabi
“good place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

the place and decor is nice specially if you like indian food
i went with friends and we sat in small room so we feel private which is good
you cab buy gift from there

Visited October 2012

79% Recommend
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Tried it. Liked it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

One day, I was just browsing restaurants in search of where to eat for dinner when I chanced upon India Palace. I remember that hubby and I used to pass by their Salam branch—and with our taste for good Indian fare—we'd always say we'd try the place out. Finally, we did last week.

It was a quiet Sunday night when we arrived. We entered a massive wooden door and were whisked to our table right away (without prior reservation). We passed by a rack of Indian-made accessories where a vendor was quietly waiting for anyone to notice him and his wares. It's actually a nice touch inside a restaurant environment.

We ordered what we knew and decided to start off with two appetizers: Indian Spiced Crab Cake (Samundri Tikki) and Chicken Satay dipped in curry sauce (Murg Tinka). I was excited with the crab cake but when it arrived, I was disappointed. The cake had this very dry and weird texture. I'm used to the smooth, soft and moist crab cake versions. The Chicken Satay was also dry and just, well, plain for lack of any other adjectives to describe it. It didn't have the rich curry flavor that I was expecting.

After the not so great starters, we were still hopeful that the restaurant has some hidden gems. After all, I found good reviews of the restaurant on the Net. When it came to our mains, hubby asked for recommendations. We both love biryani and the waiter told us that their Dum Murgh Biryani was a winner (chicken), so he went for it. Mine was Murg Tikka Masala or barbequed chicken cooked with onions and pepper, simmered in rich tomato sauce. (I missed the ultra-spicy masala we used to have in Saudi). His biryani was nice, but not extraordinary. He loved it though so no complaints there. My masala was also very good, rich and tasty. But we wish it had more spice for that extra kick. My Naan bread was superb—it was hot, fresh, soft and buttery. Oh, and their complimentary pappadams were so delicious (we requested for a refill). They were crispy and spicy—a great combo! I ordered another favorite of mine: the mint cooler. But it was really sour. The delicious sweet, sour and refreshing balance was just not there.

Some notes:
• The waiters need to improve their English-speaking skills. We were trying to converse with them to know more about their food but they couldn't articulate well enough for us to talk.
• Staff was generally attentive but sometimes it would take a few minutes for someone to respond to you.
• Some of their décor and furniture need to be updated because they're looking old and tired.
• I love that you can hold a decent conversation while dining there because the volume of their music is well balanced unlike in most restaurants.
• You can take family and friends to dine here. They have a lot of space for big groups.

My verdict: We will definitely come back and try their other viands. Price is average. Our bill for two was around AED 160, and we had some food to take-away at that. I recommend it to people who like Indian food or willing to try something new.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good biriyani”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Very good biriyani but a bit oily and I couldnt get to sleep after. Good value for money - I paid around AED54 for biriyani, garlic naan and a lassi.

Visited November 2012
Sydney, Canada
“Best Indian Food in Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The atmosphere in this place is worth going, even if you don't love Indian food. The whole place is beautiful. The walls are wood carvings, the chairs are gorgeous, the sculptures are nice, and there is a man there that will make a custom bracelet for you. The service is great. They are very timely and friendly. The food is REALLY good too. It really is the best Indian food in town. If you don't enjoy traditional food, they have other options for you and will be very accommodating.

Visited September 2012
“Great authentic Indian food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Was looking for a Indian after a long time from being in Abu dhabi. Decided to check out the restaurant as it was close to my hotel. Restaurant has had a lot of effort and attention to detail to the place. Service is top notch and very warm welcoming staff. Food tasted just like how you would expect in a good quality Indian restaurant. Well cooked food full of flavour would definitely revisit next time.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere