TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“The best in Damascus” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beit Al Mamlouka

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Beit Al Mamlouka

One of the best hotel in Damascus . The hotel provide a
complimentary high speed internet connections . The staff are
incredibly friendly and professional . Our room was very
beautiful , large and clean . The hotel is central located in
the old city within walking distance of the main attraction . I
would recommend Beit Almamlouka without hesitation to anyone
considering a visit to Damascus.

Room Tip: Suite on the first floor
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

An old damascan house converted into a hotel with all the necessary amenities for a very comfortable stay.
The taxi dropped me at BAB Touma, and I was met by the Bellman who helped me with my luggage, the hotel is a 5 minutes walk. One enters through a small wooden door from a small alley, into a small hallway that leads to a gorgeous courtyard with a pleasant fountain, and a nice seating around it.
I was welcomed by a warm and charming receptionist, Shaza, who offered me mint tea while she checked me into a room that overlooks the courtyard.
The room was their best. Despite a small door, the room was quite large. Under a 4.5 meter beautifully painted ceiling, I found a marble fountain, and old Damascan chairs around it; at the other end, the king size bed sits elevated, and up two stairs from the sitting area. The bed and the linen is of superb quality. The bathroom is at the back of the room, modernly fitted, fully marbled. A five start quality.
The hotel does not offer meals, but with many good and authentic restaurants around, that was not an inconvenience. The hotel offers average breakfast if you chose continental items, I liked though the local items, especially the rich choice of exotic jams. I was lucky to have been served by George, a theology graduate, who enriched me with almost one hour of history of the city, its quarters, and it's ethnic diversity.
I highly recommend the stay, the old city of damascus is one of the few places in the world that remains loyal to it's history, and Al Mamlouka takes you back in history without compromising modern comfort.

• Stayed July 2011
Guatape, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Mamlouka for 3 days. We were in the "Suleimen the magnificent" room for a night and then to "Ibn sina" suite upstairs for two nights.

Suleimen the magnificent room is really magnificent. It's the most beautiful room I'd ever checked into. The details to each piece of furniture, the high painted ceiling, toiletries etc are all to perfection. You can just stare at the room a few hours and couldn't believe it's a hotel room instead of a museum.

Ibn Sina on the second floor was nice but not as spectaular. However, the little sitting area was so cool that I was reading my book overlooking the alley way outside of the hotel.

Service was awesome in Mamlouka. All staffs were so attentive. Tony was so helpful providing us traveling advises in Syria. Roula was also very helpful with providing us Syria news (recent problems in Hama). Night shift George is a great man. He helped us to get a brand new bank note from the bank for souvenir and spent so much time talking with us during our 3 nights stay in Mamlouka. Like previous comments, you do feel like a big family in Mamlouka.

Hotel is greatly situated in the Christian quarter in Bab Touma. There are some good restaurants nearby. It's good distance from straight street and the souqs. While you are there, don't forget to go to the schwarmer place and the fruit juice stand beside it! I had schwarmer and strawberry juice for lunch for 3 days.

I have to say that we are both lucky and unlucky. We were very lucky to have stayed at Beit Al Mamlouka only because the discount we got from Tony due to slow tourist business lately. Since my husband and I are traveling for 6 months, we can really only afford midrange hotels at the most. On the unlucky side, due to Recent problem in Homs and Hama, we couldn't travel up to Aleppo for more beautiful historical sites.

Thanks all at Mamlouka for the most memorable experience. When we go back to Mamlouka next time, we are surely going back to Beit or Dal Al Mamlouka.

• Stayed August 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Staying at Beit Al Mamlouka was one of the most important experiences in my life. The staff was very welcoming and helpful; they always do an extra step to make your stay enjoyable. Rooms are decorated in a very beautiful way with lovely traditional furniture. The service was extremely perfect; everything is clean in the room. The hotel is located in the center of the old city and it is close to many good restaurants and sights of old Damascus. I highly recommend Beit Al Mamlouka Hotel when you visit Syria.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Al Mamlouka is my home when I visit Damascus, every year towards the end of Ramadan I visit Damascus and stay here, with group of friends from different parts of the world, Being from Damascus myself, Al Mamlouka make me proud to every year show different friends my beautiful and beloved city
Tony, and all Al Mamlouka team, thank you

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

We were unable to stay at this hotel due to Australia's official travel advisory warning against non-essential travel to Damascus at this time following the recent political unrest, which has yet to be fully resolved.
It turns out that you need to cancel more than 15 days before arrival, lest you be charged for 1 night's accommodation. (The full amouint if within 2 days - it being usual for only one night's accom to be charged in this instance.) At around 250 USD seemed a high price to pay to cancel for these reasons a week ahead of arrival.
Particularly at this time when such unrest in this region can flare up in a matter of days if not hours, it may be best to avoid booking hotels that have such a stringent policy strictly applied.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My gf and I stayed here for three nights earlier in March. The rooms are well appointed and clean, the breakfast tasty and the location nice. The only thing I'd take points away from would be the service. You can get things done but you have to look for it as nobody is really outwardly helpful.

I'll admit, I'm comparing this to several riads that we stayed in while in Morocco in 2009. Those were some of the best places we ever stayed so it was going to be tough to match up to it no matter what.

One other gripe I have is about the laundry. In the hotel binder in every room there is a page with four services. One of those is laundry. The other three services were clearly complimentary and there was no sheet anywhere in the room regarding price for laundry so I figured it was also complimentary. That might seem like an odd assumption, but again, we had complimentary laundry done for us in Morocco and the context with which it is written in their binder I don't think it was a huge leap to come to that conclusion. Anyway, it ended up being $30. Had I known that I would have found elsewhere to do it.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Beit Al Mamlouka? Share your experiences!