TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Very dated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Damascus Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Sheraton Damascus Hotel
You added Sheraton Damascus Hotel to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Omayad Square, Damascus, Syria   |
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in Damascus
New Delhi, India
“Very dated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

Having worked previously in hotels, I have had a different expectation of a Sheraton and was in for a surprise. From dated bathrooms to dated bedrooms.... It was almost a B&B
I remember the breakfat which I missed coz I was Late by a couple of minutes and the Lebanese room service I ordered which was decent
Overall - a hotel to stay with a clean bathroom and a decent bed...don't know why one will travel otherwise to Damascus. the patisserie and the pool side is busy with the local expats working with UNTSO
Seems ok should you have no other place to live.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear our valued Guest,

First of all thanks a lot for your feedback which we really appreciate even with its negativity, our Hotel is dated to 30 years and this will explain your surprise about the bathrooms and bedrooms furniture but we always try to make up this by our tip top service and treatment towards our guests.
However, your remarks were taken into consideration, and we do promise you to feel the difference in your future stays.

Alia Asadiah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Turkish first
Astoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

The rooms are large and very comfortable and clean. Some rooms face the swimming pool (which can be noisy if there is a party) and some rooms face the mountains, which are beautiful. The service is excellent. The iftar dinner buffet was spectacular. There are about a half dozen computers in the lobby with high speed internet for guests to enjoy.

Some of the businesses in the lobby are a little over priced. And the walls are a little thin so a noisy neighbor above or beside you is very noticeable. But generally this is a very good and comfortable option.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to GM at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2011
Dear our Valued Guest,

First of all and on behalf of Sheraton Damascus Team, I would like to thank you for your expensive time spent in writing us your feedback.
It is our utmost happiness that your stay was beyond your expectations, and that you enjoyed each and every details in our premises.
Your other comments will be considered to be resolved in the near future.
We do thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you again at the Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Admin Assistant to General Manager of Sheraton Damascus Hotel
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

i've been staying at the sheraton almost once/month, the service is good, hotel is a bit outdated, certainly needs some renovation soon, but there is nothing missing, i tend to look at the electrical infrastructure in the hotel am staying in ( my kind of thing ), and in Sheraton Damascus it is NOT good, some really tired sockets in there, and very few as well, if you have multiple devices that need recharging like i do, keep a power strip at hand's reach ( my permanent travel companion ).

The food is average, i've tried almost all kinds of food in the restaurant ( Mehbaj ) and i had the feeling all the dishes taste the same, they can work on that i suppose, the presentation is ok, but the taste is just not there!!!!

Breakfast is good, the staff is over friendly, a bit nosy at times, specially since my native language is arabic, they are interested in maintaining long conversations with me for some reason.

Internet is a downside, but i suppose this is the case in all of Syria and not specific to the hotel, 1 hour is for 4$, but most VOIP services will not work, and many websites are not guaranteed to open, and the speed is low.

All in All, probably one of the best in Damascus, there are newer options like Dedeman or Four seasons Damascus, but for a short business visit, Sheraton is a good choice, no major downsides that you would avoid by going somewhere else.

Room Tip: Non-smoking rooms in the third floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
Dear our valued Guest,

on behalf of our entire Team, i really appreciate all your comments, and we are so proud to have a repeat Guest like you in our premises, knowing that we will take a good care of your mentioned details and we promise to improve the all very soon.

we look forward to welcome you again and again in Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Admin Assistant to GM
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

When we checked in, they gave us two rooms in the 3rd floor. In these rooms, carpet was dirty and rotten and the furniture were looking very bad and there was no view. When we were leaving the hotel we asked for a change. They gave us other rooms in the fifth floors. It seemed the room conditions were better and the rooms were refurbished. The hotel amenities were acceptable with good restaurants. The hotel windows are awfully needing cleaning. Due to new Syria situation, the hotel seems a little empty. The hotel location is very good. I believe after after slight refurbishment, the hotel will be again one of the best in Damascus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all thanks alot for your feedback, your comments are highly appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
Regarding the outdated rooms, it is my pleasure to inform that our Renovation project is approaching and you will see the difference in your future stays.

again we thank you for your trust in Sheraton and we look forward to welcome you gain at our premises

Administrative Assistant to General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed there for a few days with my family. Bottom line, great hotel, great food, great staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2011
Dear our Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for your nice comments about our Hotel , Service and Staff which are really a high credit for us and we do appreciate.

we remain always at your service

and we look forward to welcome you again and again at the Sheraton Damascus Hotel
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

One of the reasons I stay at chain hotels when I travel is because there is a certain standard to expect from them, this hotel really is no different. Despite the rather out of place location, it makes up well for it in service.
Having missed my flight to Tokyo I asked my driver to recommend a place for me to stay, he recommended this hotel (I think it was because he was an out of towner and this was the first name that came to his mind).
The building itself is quite old, it's been renovated many times and it shows, nothing really unpleasant though. You have to pass through a checkpoint to get in but it isn't much of an inconvenience if you look like a business traveller. Checkin is quite interesting as they don't have a counter to check people in but rather a line of desks where you can check in and sit down while they are sorting you out. I got a nice upgrade to a suite but it was quite old and that's the only reason I'm giving the rooms a 3 star rating. I was quite tired but it was interesting to get a call from their service manager who came to visit me and see if there was anything they can do to make my stay better. I explained to him about my missed flight and he took it upon himself to call QR and reschedule me... unfortunately the next three flights were full so I was sort of stranded in Damascus.
This is where service does make a difference, as he called me back to let me know this and when I voiced my frustration at the matter I got a lovely basket of fruit... (it wasn't their fault but the gesture was much appreciated). I flopped down to sleep (it was REALLY hot outside) and when I woke up decided to order room service...
Take your time to get to know the local culture if you ever visit Damascus. It is very colorful and the cuisine is no exception. I ordered one item meant as a "traditional dinner" and got a 7 course meal on 3 carts... WOW was I impressed. Their prices aren't that bad either... But... much to my annoyance, there was no internet so I couldn't write ahead without going to the business center.
I ended up staying at this hotel for 3 more nights, the people are friendly, tips are much appreciated, and it's easy to forget you're sitting in the oldest city in the world...
A great experience and highly recommended...

Room Tip: Away from the exits, the doors bang loudly
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant to General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear our valued Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your precious time spent in writing us your detailed feedback, which we really appreciate.

It was our pleasure that you chose us when you missed your flight which gave us the opportunity to indulge you with our services, and as you said, Damascus is truly the oldest city in the world, but in our Hotel we always try to convey the mixed gesture between modernity and antiquity.

Regarding your remark about the internet, we do promise to let you feel more comfortable while using this service in your next stay.

We remain at your disposal should you need any further assistance

Administrative Assistant to GM of Sheraton Damascus Hotel
Winter Park, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

The hotel personnel were mostly pleasant and helpful. They provided needed assistance when I learned - shockingly - that the US government would not allow me, as a US citizen, to withdraw money from any ATM. The room was comfortable. The public areas were "dowdy" but serviceable. I stayed two nights, the second at the Club level, a very pleasant experience.. The lounge decor was especially attractive, and the host was very gracious and welcoming. The best part of my visit to Syria was my driver, Jawad (www.driverjawadinsyria.com), who sent a driver to get us at the Dead Sea, then drove us himself to Palmyra, Aleppo, and back to Damascus. He was an excellent driver, but so much more. He found us wonderful food at reasonable prices, helped us plan our itinerary before we got there, found a fine guide at Krak des Chevaliers, gave us advice on spending our free time. We are so glad we added an independent extension to Syria on to our group tour of Jordan.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
sheratondamas, Administrative Assistant To General Manager at Sheraton Damascus Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

First of all let me thank you for your precious time dedicated to write us your feedback. It is our pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay in our warm cozy Hotel, and that you were indulged by our nice staff & services.
moreover we are extremely happy that even your outside Hotel Tour was enjoyable for you.

We always remain at your kind disposal & we look forward to welcome you again at Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Warm regards

Alia Asadiah
Administrative Assistant To GM
Sheraton Damascus Hotel

Been to Sheraton Damascus Hotel? Share your experiences!