TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“Overpriced!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Al Rabie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Damascus
Al Rabie
You added Al Rabie to your Saves list
Sharia Bahsa | Souq Saroujah, Damascus, Syria   |
Ranked #11 of 30 Damascus B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“Overpriced!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

We took a 4-bed room just next to the courtyard. Very noisy at night. Toilet is clean but didn't supply anything e.g. tower, soap even issues. I asked a reception staff to call to reconfirm hotel in Aleppo and he asked me to repay him the telephone charge. It's fair. He took me SP50 but later I found that he paid only SP25.
There are many budget hotels around the corner and no need to take this one at all.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Families
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

I traveled Syria with my brother recently and had made a reservation with Al Rabie 6 weeks prior to our arrival. My brother arrived before me and the morning of, I notified them he would be showing up before me and to let him into our room. I recieved a "no problem" email from them. When I showed up at 11pm, they explained that my brother was in a dorm room, and i should sleep in the rooftop dorm this evening and tomorrow we'd get the double room we had requested. After much arguing, I got my way. The gentleman was rather rude and did not want to give up the room, despite it being their mistake. It seems no matter what, you cannot count on reservations at this hotel. We did return at the end of our trip in syria before we left, and they did have our reservation. We only returned because the water was nice and hot, and the included breakfast was great. Not sure Id return though, due to the uncertainty of reservation status.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I made a reservation via e-mail with this hotel and got a confirmation twice! The price was 2200 SP for a double with private bathroom. When we showed up the receptionist didn't even look at us and said with an arrogant voice that they were full despite our reservation. They redirected us to a collegue hotel Al Saada. The room was horrible there and we didn't take it.

I read the comments here on tripadvisor and was warned. So I already booked a second hotel via booking.com. This hotel, Al Majed, is cheaper ,1500 SP, and much beter.

My advise: don't go. Al Rabie is using it's good report in Lonely lanet but they aren't worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

We arrived at the hotel after long bus ride to find that my email correspondence with the owner confirming my double room amounted to nothing and that there was no room available.

The owner pointed out that in his reply to me he had said "don't arrive late" (it was a tick before 3.30pm) I simply had to laugh. He seemed to work on the basis that the louder he mocked us for being ignorant of how hotel booking worked the less sense he was required to make. I'd pay good money to show my friends a video.

Avoid or take a video camera if arriving after midday.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

We booked with this hostel based on the write up in Lonely Planet and, based on our experience and other's reviews, it appears this hostel is now coasting on reputation rather than reality.

Despite having a printed copy of our email confirmation, they said we did not have a reservation and we were confused. We challenged this, evidence in hand, and they just became rude, not even offering us any options. Avoid till they start improving their game.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We spent two nights there at the start of our trip. We were lucky enough to get a room without booking, but two tiny single beds with no bathroom.. There are some nicer rooms but it seems you have to book months in advance to stand a chance.

When we left for more Syrian adventures, we asked the manager to keep us a room for a night ten days later..We hassled him with emails but never got any answer and when we arrived, he said he had nothing. So don't expect the management to take huge care of you..

The best part with this hotel is the price and the beautiful inside courtyard. They know they are unbeatable in Damascus for accommodation in that price range. If you want a place relatively cheap go there but don't expect huge comfort, it's far from luxurious!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We made a booking at Al Rabie about 3 weeks ahead of our arrival date (encouraged by the glowing Lonely Planet write-up), despite receiving two emails confirming our double ensuite room we arrived to be told we actually had a room at their "sister hotel" Al Saada. This hotel was terrible and not of an equal standard, the communal area had no character, the young staff were the only rude people we came across in Syria and the communal toilets & one shower were never clean. A very disappointing experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Rabie? Share your experiences!