TRAVEL ALERT: SECURITY CONCERNS More info

“A little gem in Damascus - shame about the management” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Antique Khan Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Damascus
Antique Khan Hotel
You added Antique Khan Hotel to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ameen Street, Damascus, Syria   |
Ranked #28 of 75 Hotels in Damascus
London, United Kingdom
“A little gem in Damascus - shame about the management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

Our extended family stayed at the Antique Khan on two several occasions while travelling around Syria last month. On both times we were very disappointed with the management. The guy at the front desk is a nervous fellow who seems to be under a lot of pressure to make this new hotel a success, but goes about it the wrong way. We were insistently asked to leave reviews on Facebook and Tripadvisor ("but if you don't enjoy your stay don't leave a review!" he tells us!), the taxi he arranged for us charged us (we later learnt) a silly amount of money for a very short ride (and he knew that's what we would be charged, why did he not tell us the price was unfair), and we ended up having a big argument over the pricing of the rooms (he had agreed to charge less for the quadruple as we would be leaving in the early hours of the morning - but it turned out that he had simply shifted the charge to one of the other rooms, with the excuse that we needed to pay for the baby cot). We even got charged for two Turkish coffees which were offered to us by the breakfast waiter after we had finished breakfast and left him a nice tip.
Don't get me wrong: although some of its rooms are very small (ask for the ones on the top floor), they are very nicely decorated. The inner courtyard, where a very good breakfast is served, is adorned by a fountain and a big tree with lots of beautiful details all around.
The Antique Khan is definitely a little gem, but there are many gems in Damascus and I would choose to stay somewhere else. We had the fortune of also staying at the Talisman and loved it. Damascus is a charming place, don't let it get spoilt by unprofessional hotel management.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

North Cyprus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

Staff had welcoming manner but not attentive and slovenly.eg smoking whilst serving breakfast. Rooms quaintly decorated but tired looking. Internet failed to connect and manager not willing to give much attention to solving the problem. Some rooms for our party were cramped and the bed inconveniently at mezanine level away from bathroom which one could not swing a cat in. Breakfast boring. Recommend staff training and room champhering. Our group staying here was 12. Location good for sites. We were spoild last time (May 2008) because we stayed at The hotel Talisman 5* superb but obviously more expensive but worth it. Need at least three days in Damascus.
End of review.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

We spent very nice vication in one of syrian boutique hotel which is name Antique Khan Hotel which is collect between the heratige style , location & modern servics the staff are friendly helpfull the cleaness is perfect & nice damacine oreintal breakfast

• Stayed February 2010
Abu Dhabi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I think we were the only residents here (mid-Jan '10). The rooms were ok (maybe a little tight, but it's what you would expect from an old traditional house). Easy access to the main sights as it is in the Old City. The service was fine, if not a little slow (well, we were the only ones there). All in all, I would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
berlin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

it been a long time seans i been in damascus but i travell a lot sorry for my bad english i stayed at the hotel or about 5 dayes in the beganing of march first when i enterd i did not like every thing i was gust been moved from another hotel and i was tierd when i got thear i stood and looked inside i sayed ok anything but after i get some rest i awaked to finde some nice breakfast some marmled hommes etc simple but good the rooms did not have an out side window but it had to inside looking to the courtyrad at the small fountains the staff whear really helpful even they don't know every thing but they helped greatly after all it really a nice hotel the room is clean and it have that intimat felling it get you close to those you love

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Cheshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

I'm surprised there are no reviews already of this place although it is pretty small and the only reason I found it was the manager of another place I wandered into which was full obviously knew about it and called to check if they had rooms. They did and so they sent a guy over who got us a cab and took me over there. I was initially a bit wary as it seemed a long way away from the heart of the Old City but in fact it is almost right next to the souk just off Straight St in a great location.
It's in an old Damascene house and as usual rooms look onto a peaceful central courtyard with a fountain and a massive tree growing inside where breakfast (olives, hommous etc) is taken. I had a very comfortable clean room with a qurky but stylish bathroom on the first floor. Only four or five of the 18 rooms they have were occupied which was surprising considering I had checked about five other hotels only to find all were full. Hence it was very quiet and peaceful. I didn't visit the Old Vine or Al Mamluka but it looks (from internet photos) very similar in style to both these places albeit perhaps not quite as luxurious. I paid $150 a night which I thought was plenty but seems to be a lot less than both of these other boutique hotels. I grew to like it's calm lanquid somewhat bohemian style and was certainly glad I'd found it rather than staying in one of the bigger places in the Old City with their noisy Italian tour groups shouting in the courtyard. My sense from dealings with the staff - particularly the breakfast waiter - was that they would be very gay friendly.
Overall a real find and a worthwhile choice for those wanting to stay in a traditional Damascene house but not wanting to pay top dollar. I suspect their rates will rise once it becomes better known.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
cape town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

hotel had nice clean rooms and lovely damascene furniture, I did not book in advance but called about 3 days prior to arriving to enquire about a room, was qouted around 130us dollars, took my chances did not make a booking and negotiated a better price on arrival, hotel was relatively quiet so asked to see the rooms before settling on one,

the courtyard was nice after tramping around sights of old city, reception staff spoke english and were eager to help however they lack knowledge about certain tourist information so having a good guide book will help,

also make sure and confirm if the rate quoted is inclusive of all taxes and that no extra charge will be levied if you use your credit card, one snag tne night receptionist told me local telephone calls were free while the receptionist on duty during day wanted to charge for them so check, in my case i pointed out what i had been told about no charge and then he good naturedly said ok then he wont charge me for it,

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Antique Khan Hotel? Share your experiences!