“When good service can almost be too much” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Millennium Hotel Doha

You added Millennium Hotel Doha to your Saves list
Millennium Hotel Doha
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jawaan Street, Al Sadd | PO Box 24249, Doha 24020, Qatar   |
Ranked #38 of 119 Hotels in Doha
Beirut
“When good service can almost be too much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

The Millennium Hotel is located in the busy Al-Sadd area, one of the major arteries of Doha city and only 10 minutes away (at most) from the airport. There are shopping centers around and a number of coffee shops and restaurants, in addition to several international banks.

The room I stayed in was incredibly luxurious and impeccably clean. Every single time I left my room (even for 10 minuets), housekeeping would come in, replace the water bottles (even those only barely touched), replace the towels (even if used only once and neatly hung) and fold my clothes (even jackets laid on chairs!!) In addition, should I happen to be in the room during their rounds, housekeeping would knock to ask if I needed linen, water, towels, etc. to the point where I felt my privacy was constantly invaded and I was being pampered like a rich spoiled brat! This hotel is defnitely for the upper class and not for the working class like me (my stay was covered by my company for the duration of a seminar).

The entire staff I had the pleasure of dealing with were all unconditionally polite, helpful and friendly - all of them, without exception, had great communications skills.

While the breakfast buffet seemed poor in variety and quantity (I couldn't get any milk!), I didn't get the chance to sample the restaurant's food so I have no opinion on the subject.

Personally, I thought the black marble decor and gold finishing were a little bawdy for my taste and gave the hotel a dim atmosphere (although anyone can tell it is all done at huge expenses). A word to the wise: the lobby has an open smoking area.

If you are used to being waited upon all the time and don't mind the expense, this is a great choice for you. If not, stay clear.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Like most reviewers, this hotel does some very good and some very bad things:

Good:

Rooms are nice and spacious
Comfortable beds
Good showers
Good food
Gym

Bad:

Service. It's appalling and not what you would expect from a three star hotel, forget a five star hotel. I needed to order a taxi for the following morning at 0700 and was told that this couldn't be done as they couldn't get any taxis. I logged onto the Internet, found a local taxi service and lo and behold I booked a taxi. This is what a basic concierge should be able to do

Internet service is ridiculously expensive

My client paid for me to be at this hotel. Do not stay at this hotel if you are paying yourself.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This hotel has been open about four years now, and is still suffering from the teething problems that were described by the first reviewers on here. I agree with almost every one of the comments posted by the last reviewer, which was already several months ago.

GOOD: The rooms are nice, fresh fruit is supplied (most days, liek the water, it's erratic), the lobby is nice, the breakfast can be great (although the staff allow the milk to run out, the toast to catch fire and food to get cold -- and they never top up your tea or coffee without a right to-do). The gym is good, the pool is small and crescent shaped (don't make my mistake of doing backstroke - you'll keep smashing your skull!) and unsupervised, and the door staff are friendly.

MIXED: The room service menu offers almost nothing for vegetarians but what there is is outstanding, albeit very expensive.

BAD: Reception staff are cool and unfriendly, the car service is appalling and expensive, the laundry service fails to deliver (but staff still loiter expecting a tip, despite being days late and only coming to deliver when they're called) and the internet fee is extortionate.

And I want to add one major gripe of my own.

Muzak plays loudly throughout reception, the lobby and the atrium cafe - the only open public area for relaxing (as there is no bar and the restaurant serves only a buffet). It is a loop of nauseating, mind-numbing tinkly piano versions of popular music tracks: Bridge Over Troubled Water, Michelle, Fur Elise, As Long As He Needs Me. There are no more than eight tracks. I've been here three weeks and I am losing my mind. A letter to the manager asking him to buy more music has gone unanswered.

If I was paying I would have checked out a long time ago. Fellow travellers and locals strongly recommend the Ramada, and that is where I shall ask to be sent next time. (And not because of the bars; unlike many on here, I haven't minded the hotel being dry.)

Today I received a hotel newsletter in my room signed by the same manager who has apologised a number of times on this site for his hotel's failings (and in my opinion, not the major ones).

I do wonder why he and his company company are not spending their time instead addressing the issues that have been clearly spelled out on here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Galaxy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

The good
Front desk staff very friendly, courteous, helpful and efficient
Nice rooms, certain attention to detail in the way the hotel is constructed
Fruit baskets in the room every day
Breakfast in Cosmo restaurant
Wired Internet speeds were about 512Kbps and reliable
Wireless internet in club lounge
The health club staff were very polite and attentive.
Four treadmills in good shape - did not have to wait to use the equipment

The bad
Rooms had very small windows
I had to call on many occasions for laundry to be picked up
There were no laundry bags / order forms - I had to call for these on many occasions
Coffee sachets were missing for most of May and June!
Each day at least five different people knocked on your rooms for providing service - housekeeping, laundry pickup, laundry delivery, fruit basket delivery and evening turndown!
The service was inconsistent - they forgot to provide water bottles or fruits or the coffee making stuff every other day!
Breakfast in the club lounge was awful on a few days - cold or dried food
Avoid using the toiletry provided, felt these were of very poor quality - the hand cream was runny not creamy!

What some people may miss
Bar - in my opinion it is not a major negative - the local culture is against alcohol consumption - - I guess we should respect that

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Paphos
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

The Millenium Hotel is listed as a 5 star but it is NOT. The staff are not knowledgeable, the Reception staff give you wrong information, the food is not that great, the room walls are thin so you can hear everything going on next door. Rooms are not cleaned before lunchtime, the water pipes clang when someone next door uses the shower or toilet. There is a business class lounge but it only serves soft drinks (although the food here is nice) and the hotel is totally DRY - no alcohol at all which really puts off business travellers who need a drink after a hard day at work. If you book a taxi through reception the charges are 3 times the rate of normal taxi's. The Atrium Cafe in the lobby is nice and there is a pianist at night who is good but that is about the only thing that recommends this hotel. Unfortunately I had no choice in chosing this hotel as it was done through an agent. If you have to come to Doha on business - go to the Ramada - that is great.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

I visited this hotel in November 2009 for 3 nights on business.

All I was looking for was a pleasant hotel with a good service to have breakfast in attend meeting throughout the day and sleep in.

Unfortuately the Millennium did not allow me to do this easily.

Food was ok. The Rooms are nice enough. The Wi Fi is ok but not cheap. The service was terrible.

All I wanted the staff to do was assist me with getting a taxi from the hotel to my first meeting each morning. I did not believe this would be so hard for a top quality hotel. I had just come from Abu Dhabi and Dubai where this was a relatively simple process.

Instead every morning I was directed to the Hotels limousine service which I later worked out was at least 3 -4 times more expensive than the standard taxis in the city. Each morning I refused this service due to cost and asked if they could ring me a taxi. Each morning I was told this was not possible and I would have to walk around to the shopping centre at the back of the hotel. At the shopping centre I could wait anywhere between 15 minutes to 45 minutes to get a taxi. This was extremely frustrating when I had meeting arranged at set times throughout the day.

The final straw came on my last night when I noticed the hotel advertising a FREE shuttle service to and from the airport for your flight. When I enquired about this for my departure the next morning at the desk, I was told this was not the case. After complaining about them advertising this service and not delivering it, they told me that it was a service they offered but was subject to availability (which was a bare face lie). I was then directed back to the good old limousine service. Which I again refused to pay over the odds for. I then asked if they could ring a local taxi firm to arrange my pick up for the morning. After one phone call, I was told the firm was busy. I explained to the hotel that I would miss my flight if they could not arrange something for me. I was not going to gamble on getting a taxi by 6am at the Shopping Centre which had proved unreliable to say the least throughout the week. I was told they would call me later to let me no what they could do. Surprise, NO CALL! I could have been stranded that morning and it was not their problem.

In the end I went onto the internet from my room, found a local taxi number and called it. Surprisingly they had an available taxi which I booked. Going to sleep that night I was more than a bit worried this taxi was not going to arrive after my previous experiences throughout the week.

Luckily I was picked up on time and made my flight (No thanks to the Millennium Hotel staff), however this whole experience left a very sour taste in my mouth. It is not the type of experience you expect from such a well known brand of hotel.

As a bit of constructive advice; I went to several meetings at the Ramada Hotel and this hotel was far better. It had its own taxi rank and was in a far better location. I don't know how much extra cost this would be but I would guarantee it would be worthwhile for the amount of hassle you will have staying at the Millennium.

This hotel is also a 'Dry' hotel for those of you that like a drink.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Madrid
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

I ordered a spicy chicken sandwich in the atrium lounge in the hotel lobby. You need a magnifying glass to see the chicken and it was not spicy at all.
If you are going to call it a spicy chicken sandwich, then please provide a reasonable portion of chicken and make it spicy!

Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Been to Millennium Hotel Doha? Share your experiences!