“Diner on December 6” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Spiga by Papermoon

La Spiga by Papermoon
W Doha Hotel & Residences, Westbay, Doha 19573, Qatar (Formerly La Spiga by Papermoon, W Hotel)
4453 5135
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Doha, Qatar
“Diner on December 6”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Excellent Food and Service. We truly enjoyed all dishes and the Service was very friendly and Attentive. Only comment is that Music was Rather Loud and dominant which made conversations difficult.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
WDohaHotelResidences, E-Insider at La Spiga by Papermoon, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Hello Marjo K,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of La Spiga, we were happy to hear that you enjoyed your overall experience at our restaurant! With regards to the music level, we have taken your feedback and will manage it accordingly.

Hope to welcome you back again soon!

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
“Finally a good consistent Italian: finalmente!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I hope it'll stay like this. Because that's the main problem with Italian restaurants here in Doha, they don't keep up with quality; Italian chefs resigns, no original Italian product. Please keep it like this.
Otherwise I always have to stick to my Italian kitchen. Sometimes I want other Italians to cook for me something new.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Hello basbusa,

Thank you very much for your kind words about La Spiga by Paper Moon, we were glad to hear that you enjoyed our authentic Italian dishes! We will do our up most best at all times to ensure that you consistently enjoy your experience at our restaurant!

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Doha, Qatar
“Cross the lobby to Market instead”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

After my last trip to La Spiga and subsequent average review, I promised myself to give it a 2nd chance. I ended up wishing I'd crossed the lobby of the W and ate at the fabulous Market restaurant instead. Eating at La Spiga is like dating the ugly sister of a supermodel when the model is beckoning you from the next table. This time we tried the business lunch, which is good value, but limited choice, especially if you're a non-meat eater like my wife, who had practically no choice and had to settle for penne arabiatta. The eggplant starter was poor when compared to the superior version on offer at Le Vesuvio in Katara. My pasta with dried beef had only crumbs of beef. The cheesecake was just OK but not a patch on the one on offer next door. We sat through the entire meal dreaming about instead enjoying the shrimp salad, salmon with truffle mash, and desserts on offer in Market. We don't be making that mistake again. La Spiga is the third-best restaurant in the W and way behind other Italians in Doha. The only good thing I can say about it is the service and the decor.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
WDohaHotelResidences, Restaurant Manager at La Spiga by Papermoon, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Hello Scott97,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Spiga by Paper Moon once again. I was disappointed to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations with regards to our food selection. Although we do not serve cheesecake in our menu, we have taken your feedback regarding the other dishes, and rest assured we will look into how we manage those.

Hope to welcome you back again in the future where we can offer you the quality and service which we pride ourselves upon. Thank you once again for your feedback, we certainly appreciate it.

Mirjana Grujik
La Spiga Assistant Manager
Doha
“Buonissimo!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I'm a desperate italian girl in Doha and tonight i have finally found after 2 years the "ragu" like at home... Like my mother's one.
I found a real simple but true taste of my Italy!
The atmosphere, service, light... Nothing to say but "perfect"
Also quite romantic and cosy even if the space is big.
I would defintely recomend the rigatoni al ragu, gnocchi sorrentina (freshly home made) and we also shared a pizza, very good and tasty.
The wine selection is also typical and very interesting.
LOVED it!
My new italian #1 in Doha

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
WDohaHotelResidences, E-Insider at La Spiga by Papermoon, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hello Bluebrushdoha,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of La Spiga by Paper Moon! We were thrilled to hear that we could make you feel like at home at our restaurant[; it is such a pleasure to know that we could bring you the true taste of Italy!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to try they rest of our menu!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“This is what happens when you eat Italian in the Middle East...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Tried this after some positive feedback from a friend plus I frequent the W hotel. I love Spice Market and Wahm is ok too.

The service here from the get go was excellent. Very nice ambiance and a cool disco ball/pizza oven!

I've been to Italy and love Italian food. The problem is, is that Italian food has a lot of wine and or pork in their ingredients. Being Doha, that's a big issue. Heck, Montreal has a great Italian reso that blows this place away and it's cheaper, but I digress :)

We ordered the lobster bisque with spaghetti. Every time I've ordered a lobster bisque it's been a soup, but here they've combined the broth of the soup with the pasta. The meal was just ok and certainly didn't blow me. It was very BLAND!

The manager who was great, asked how the meal was and I told him our thoughts. He took our dishes away and gave us another pasta dish with shrimp. Unfortunately, again the dish was very bland and tastes exactly like the lobster dish before it. On top of that, there were like 5 small pieces of shrimp. Poor chef accompanied the dish and we felt obligated to tell him the dish was great! Oh well.

You'd think to compensate for their shortcomings, they would have tried to blow us away with the follow up dish, but it was just meh!

Finally, I tried the gnocchi and it was very good.

I had a cab sauv by the glass and that was fine.

If you're expecting authentic Italian dish, I suggest that you keep your expectations low.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
WDohaHotelResidences, E-Insider at La Spiga by Papermoon, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Hello whileitravel,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Spiga by Paper Moon. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed the ambiance and the service of our restaurant, however disappointed to hear that you did not fully enjoy our dishes. We appreciate and value all kinds of feedback and certainly appreciate your honest opinion; rest assured, we have taken your comments and will act accordingly.

Hope to welcome you back to La Spiga in order to turn your experience around!