“Most improved” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Doha, Qatar
“Most improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had been here for dinner a couple of times just after it first opened and was underwhelmed. I put this down to teething problems.

But I have, over time, changed my view. I have recently been for the brunch, which in terms of concept and food is very unique in a city that loves to brunch.

The Friday brunch is a la carte. On offer is a menu featuring breakfast items like eggs benedict and croque madame; starters including saltwater prawns on toast, mains including pastas and fish and finally desserts.

If that all sounds too much, the servings are small, enough for a few bites. And you can order as many items as you want at any time.

Recent favorites have been a flatbread with puree of carrot, stilton and blue cheese, sea bass with lemon and capers and a sinful french toast.

The menu changes every couple of weeks and offered plenty of variety. All dishes are prepared with care and the service is excellent.

For QR375 you can get a package including a selection of first rate wines and prosecco.

Well worth a a lazy Friday afternoon with friends.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
scafati
“Amazing chef, awesome food and fantastic welcome !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Arriving at Opal in the St. Regis hotel is amazing in itself. Then dining at Opal in beautiful surroundings , eating awesome food prepared by Gill completes a truly memorable evening. I would recommend Opal to everyone.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mossel Bay, South Africa
“Excellent Food but ....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Food was great no excellent, best steak I have had in many a year, only problem was that we waited 60 minutes for thme to nprepare bill at end of meal !

Visited January 2013
Doha, Qatar
“Ok, good service, but not exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We took some friends there for dinner whilst they were on a stopover in Doha. Hotel is lovely, however to start with'Opal' had lost our reservation, no big deal, after a shuffle around of chairs we were soon seated and perusing the menu.

Having read great things, I'm sorry to say we all found it rather average! The atmosphere was almost non existent, which I'm sure had a lot to do with our impression of the food. On a positive note the staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient (which are words you don't often hear in Qatar)!

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Doha
“Nothing but "Gordon Ramsay" standard”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Been there for lunch ...
we were offered a very interesting new lunch menu and the A la carte menu. I have to say what a good menu when you can taste the Opal Burger on lunch time with a very decent price.The burger is served in a Brioche bread with a homemade ketchup ...... The lady manager suggested me to try the Fattouch salad which was quiet interesting with the french baguette but still with Gordon Ramsay standard. Smart idea as we can't deny Doha is in the Middle east and Arabic food get high demand. It was really good.
For desset I had the pineapple carpaccio, as it was suggested that it has pineapple good for digestion after the burger. Fresh green color from the coriander sorbet.wow
Overall very good. Absolutely I will be back as I want to try the Shawarma Pizza.

• Visited January 2013