“Fantastic Food” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was taken here by business colleagues I was meeting in Doha. We had the tasting menu. The food itself was fantastic, especially the mushroom dish and pumpkin soup. I don't eat seafood and the chef was very accommodating in creating a new dish for me to have when the others had lobster.

The atmosphere is relaxed which makes a change from what can be quite a stuffy dining atmosphere in some of these top class restaurants. I had on lace up shoes (not black leather shoes) and a casual jacket which I took off without complaint (I've been told at restaurants in London a jacket must stay on to dine which I find very formal and stuffy.

The only downside and why I give 4 rather than 5 stars is the lift type music being played in the dining room itself. Very "shopping mall lift" esque.

Otherwise, the St Regis offers an incredible location for what is a great meal.

Highly recommended

Visited November 2012

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
“Good ambience, good food service very slow!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Had a lovely meal in the outdoor area, however took ages for someone to come over and once they did they asked if we were here for dinner or just sitting there, explained we were there for dinner and took them ages to come over with menu, a couple came in after us and were seen to and orders taken before we were given our menu! Main were served and they were delicious however we were then given a desert menu but no one came to ask if we wanted any, so we then just asked for the bill!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good food average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Took my parents in law here as a farewell meal, the food was excellent, but the service needs a little work, i.e. explaining what offers were on that day.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great expectations...disappointing results!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The restaurant is located in St Regis hotel and it is a looker. We had the valet take care of our car. Nice.

We arrived a few minutes late, I was more bothered about it then the staff!

We were seated and then greeted by Christopher our server who did a excellent job.

We started off with the seveche for the appetizer. My friend ordered the white bass, while I opted for the spaghetti seafood dish with a red sauce

The seveche arrived and it was practically tasteless. The first time I tried seveche which has to be over ten years ago, it was at a nice restaurant in Makati. They served it with large chunks of fish, the dish was lemony, zesty and some hot peppers which really gave it some kick. Just delicious'! Unfortunately for us, non of these characters existed in our dish. Boring is the best way to describe it.

Our mains arrived and while the pasta was perfectly cooked, the dish itself left much to be desired. I had a very similar dish in Montreal in July and that dish was zesty, tangy and had little morsels of mussels blended into the sauce. It had just the right kick to it and it was awesome. Plus a massive shrimp on top was fresh and excellent. The sauce in this dish left my taste buds trying to decipher whether it really was a tomato based sauce. Very bland. The two measly shrimps were good, but were too few.

My friend's dish while nicely cooked and well presented didn't include any sides. The green beans, tomatoes needed a lot more punch to it. Again. Bland or boring.

We washed it down with a decent Chianti.

The evening's manager came by the table and asked about our experience. I told her we arrived here with lofty expectations and while service was very good and the hotel/resto is beautiful, the food was bland. I was dipping my finger into my pasta dish and tasting it and doing the same to the bass dish. Bland and bland, er, boring.

She apologized for our disappointment ordered us a complimentary carpaccio of pineapple and green tea ice cream ( I think that's what it was). It was delicious.

Maybe it's b/c it caters to the locals and as my experience of dining in the Middle East, some don't appreciate spiciness to their dishes. I dunno, but we walked out of here feeling let down.

While I don't expect to be blown away, I do expect a little party in my mouth from the food I eat when dining in such a well respected establishment as this.

Bill tallied to $ 239 Canadian. Not exhorbitant, but definitely not a bargain and not great value.

Won't be back. Lukewarm recommendations to friends who must go.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Doha, Qatar
“Great Pizza for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We entered the casual dinning section and was pleasantly surprised by the use of space and the nice view from the large windows.
We decieded to order a pizza for a light lunch, and it was the perfect choise. The pizza was excellent. Followed by a great latte and enjoyed with great company.

The only unfortunate thing about my experience here. After residing in Doha for a significant amount of time you get tired of hearing complains from people about the living and working conditions here. Yes yes .. we al know and was surprised that the staff would freely express their dislike to patrons, assuming that we are as new to this experience as they were.

Other than that little bit it was great and the staff were genuinely helpful and professional in their duties.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere