“Lovely food and great service, if a little pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European, Pizza, International
Good for: Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
New Romney, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and great service, if a little pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We ate here when we were staying in the St Regis Doha. The quality of the service from the waiters and the manager, Julian was spot on and the food was gorgeous - I guess you pay for quality as it was more pricey than we would normally afford for dinner out but it was a very special weekend and I very much enjoyed it.

The steak that I ordered was amazingly well cooked. I like my steak 'blue' and it is not often that I find a restaurant that is so good at getting this right. The wine was lovely and decanted for us at our table.

The atmosphere was buzzing but not overly noisy so that you had to raise your voice to be heard.

The views during the day out over the pool and sea are also beautiful. Well worth a visit in my opinion.

Visited June 2012

• Polish first
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“Very good; great service, inconsistent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Opal was very nice, a very elegant restaurant as would be expected. The service was impeccable and very friendly, but not cloying.

Our entrees (starters) were very nice, but the pastry on the bottom of my delicious, elegant goats cheese and beetroot tart was so hard I found it very hard to cut. Both mains were excellent. But our deserts were very, very disappointing. My wife's run-of-the-mill panna cotta was served with absolutely no embellishments, in a cocktail glass! A la cheap bar food. My so-called salted caramel ice cream with my desert was grainy and the flavour completely unidentifiable. And where was the honeycomb promised in the description? Oh, there; 8 or 9 couscous-sized crumbles!

The wine list was very good, but I always get annoyed at outrageous, unjustifiable wine prices. A well known wine from Australia costs AU$25 (bottle shop) in Oz, but at Opal it was 7X this. There is no justification for that.

Would we recommend it? Yes, but don't set your hopes too high.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great Resturant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I loved opal .. It has great atmosphere , servis & food that's priced reasonably & tastes great , I went there twice with my friends for lunch .. The first time I had the hamburger & the apple soup ,, it was excellent , the second time I had the row hammure as an appetizer and one of the pizzas as a main it was also great , I recommend trying the smoked drinks its amazing ... One of my friends keeps complaining that the food is too salty & she returned one dish and was about to returne the second but I thought it was fine and just salty enough , will definitely go back again.
I was a great fan of maze at the pearl & was so disappointed when it closed, but thanks gorden ramzi for compensating with not just one but tow restaurants , can't wait to try gorden ramzi Resturant next .

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Doha, Qatar
“Very Enjoyable, Nice Atmosphere, Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

In the past, we have enjoyed going to Gordon Ramsey's Maze that used to be at the Pearl in Doha. It has now closed. Some of the staff has moved over to this restaurant so it was nice to see familiar faces (not that we went to Maze often. It was a tad expensive, though excellent). So, when we heard about Opal opening up, we were eager to try it for lunch. It was very enjoyable experience overall.

The staff were warm and friendly in a very genuine way. The food was quite good, really. My wife had Hamour (fish) in citric sauce. Apparently the acid from the citrus "cooks" the fish. Who knew?? Well, she did. That's why she ordered it. I had an Arabic pizza. It was very nice, with a thin crust, halloum cheese, and nice bits of chicken. It was nice and light. We ordered a "molecular" cocktail. My wife ordered a bubble tea with little passionfruit "caviar" which she enjoyed. Then, the waiter came and gave us a complimentary beverage, which was a cranberry juice served in a beautiful shaped "vase". It had a small bit of smoldering wood placed inside which gave off a lovely smoke smell, and added a smoky taste to the cranberry juice. It was interesting. We met the "mixologist" and he was a really nice gentleman who has been working on molecular cocktails since 2008. He told us about some of his other creations and they sounded quite amazing, really.

The restaurant itself is beautiful, comfortable, with a lovely view over the Persian/Arabian Gulf. It was quite relaxed and warm. It was quite full when we were there, but it wasn't loud or confining...just comfortable, and enjoyable.

The price was really quite decent. We have spent the same amount of money in places that were far less appealing. So, really, overall, this was a great place to go. We thoroughly enjoyed it. And it is located in the St. Regis Hotel which is an absolutely beautiful hotel. I do highly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Doha, Qatar
“One of the best resturants in Doha!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

I have visited Opal during both lunch and dinner. Both times i had a great and different atmosphere.The food is simply amazing, this is what you get when you are dinning at a Gorden Ramsey resturant. Each dish is uniquely made and had a strange mixture of elements that really bring out the flavour. For example, who would think of combining octopus salad with pinapple? A strange yet successful combination in many dishes presented. The pepper squid was so tasty, crunchy and fresh and for the main course i ordered the burger. It was light, not too filling and the meat wasn't over cooked. The size of the burger was perfect.
For drinks, we ordered the smoky, non-alchoholic 'virgin mule' and indeed, it was truely 'smoky'. We could taste and see the smoke puring out of our dink which was elegantly presented, poured right at our table. I have never seen this drink anywhere before!
The service was excellent. We were greeted with smiles and welcomes right before we entered the resturant and until we left, by the staff, as well as the kind and friendly manager himself! Even the chef came over and introduced himself to us politely, which made us feel more welcome.
As i have mentioned, the atmosphere was great. It was a completely different experience during both times of the day. During lunch it was quieter, more relaxing as you can clearly see the sea. The resturant had a great view. During dinner, the atmosphere was busier, louder and more active.
The main negative points i would say is: smoking. It gets too smelly and i think it is unfair for non-smokers to suffer while trying to enjoy their meal. Even though smokers are given tables on the far side of the resturant, it doesn't really make a difference were they sit, the smell gets everywhere and personally i think it is awfull. The second negative point: the prices. Although the prices are a little high, personally when comparing it to other 5-star resturants in Doha, they are quite similar, maybe Opal being a little more expensive. However having the resturant in a grand and luxurious Hotel such as St.Regis, i find the prices to be reasonable because of its location. Nontheless, if i was asked if i would recomend this resturant, i would certainly say YES, and I will difinitely visit again!!

• Visited May 2012