“Good bar but oh the prices” 2 of 5 stars

Moevenpick Hotel Doha
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corniche Road | P.O. Box 24220, Doha, Qatar   |
Ranked #26 of 119 hotels in Doha
West Sussex
“Good bar but oh the prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Forget what the downstairs bar is called but it in terms of décor and ambiance it isn't the greates although it has a big screen and every now and again it has some decent musicians (if you can see them for the columns. More memorably however the price for beer is comfortably the most I ever paid in Doha.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Mövenpick D, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Doha, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

I have received your feedback and i thank you so much for the same.

It is your feedback that helps us to improve our operation, you are a patron and your business is important to us.

Do let me know in case i can be of any further assistance to you in future.

224 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Turkish first
ipoh, malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

stayed in end december 2013. i guess this is the only time when the reviews in trip advisor was not what i expected . originally book for 2 nights but we check -out the next morning. our deluxe room looked shabby and the bathroom was worst . small and certainly not clean at all with broken tiles and moldy shower wall. we arrived very early in the morning 2.00 am and found out that was no in-room slippers , so we had to request it . lighting was really bad at the writing table . ear plugs are provided as the rumbling noise from airplane taking off can be heard in the room ..

Of all the travels, the room had to be in top 5 worst hotel . we left after 1 night and check in to a boutique hotel which was way(x100) much better . even though we had to pay another 400 qatar riyal but it was worth it .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. Lee,

Greetings from Movenpick Hotel Doha

I have received your feedback and I am truly disappointed that I have to write to you under such circumstances. It has always been our endeavor to provide our guests with the highest level of service but we have failed to provide you a positive experience.

I apologize for the inconvenience which was caused to you; we have taken your comments very seriously and have taken steps to ensure that this does not get repeated ever again.

I thank you so much for your feedback as it is feedback such as yours that helps us to improve our operation. You are indeed a patron and your business is important to us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back and do let me know in case I can be of any further assistance to you in future.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Service, Room, Location,....everything worked in this hotel: pickup at the aiport, concierge service, meals, etc. Hotel´s team was very efficient and nice throught my stay.

I have nothing bad to say about it. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mövenpick D, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Doha, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Mr. Miguel,

Greetings from Movenpick Hotel Doha

I have received your feedback and I am truly delighted that we were able to provide you with the highest levels of service and a positive experience.

I thank you so much for your feedback and you are indeed a patron and your business is important to us.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel with good service and functional Health Club.
But very annoying that smoking was allowed in the quite small lobby and the smell was intolerable in the bar, C'mon, this is 2014 and Qatar is a warm country where people easily can go out for a smoke !

• Stayed January 2014
Mövenpick D, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Doha, responded to this review, January 13, 2014

Greetings from Movenpick Hotel Doha

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you with respect to the smoking in the lobby. We are taking this comment seriously and shall consider accordingly.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I went to this hotel as part of my settling-into-Qatar package. The bed was very firm and I slept well. The wi-fi was excellent and there was absolutely no drop out at anytime - day nor night.

The breakfast buffet was excellent with fresh veggies and various entrees and types of fruit.

Coffee service was fast and attentive. Check out was fast and efficient. VERY pleasant staff :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Mövenpick D, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Doha, responded to this review, January 11, 2014

Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

This hotel is located very close to the Museum of Islamic Art and the Souq Waqif, the two major sights of Doha which are both within walking distance. The noise level at this place is almost unbearable, a major highway passes directly at the back side of the hotel, the front faces a massive construction site that is worked 24 hours and airplanes are landing and starting at the close-by airport every ten minutes. The rooms are nice but in extreme need of renovation, the pool is tiny and the water is cold and dirty. A big plus however is the staff which was very charming and incredibly helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Mövenpick D, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Doha, responded to this review, January 8, 2014

Greetings from Movenpick Hotel Doha

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you with respect to the noise due to hotels close proximity to the airport and the construction around the hotel building. We are also working on the project of heating the swimming pool this year.

Liverpool, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is one of the older hotels in Doha, and I've no doubt that all sorts of extras, glitz, glam and bling are on offer at newer places. If that's what you're after, then fine, off you toddle to some seven-star joint, but if you're looking for a comfortable, informal, homely sort of place with very nice junior suites and *amazing* customer service, then this is the accommodation for you. It's also very well situated to walk to the Al-Riwaq museum, to the Museum of Islamic Art, and to the Souq (well, in winter, at least; I guess that walking wouldn't be possible in summer because of the heat, but taxis pass behind the hotel on a regular basis and can be flagged down, and reception will always call a cab for guests).

My room was a junior suite (as a result of a free upgrade from the superior room that I had reserved), and it was large, comfortable, and contained absolutely every conceivable amenity. Views of the sea are now somewhat obstructed from some parts of the hotel due to the number of other edifices that have been constructed around the Movenpick.

The buffet dinner, which my party and I ate on our night of arrival as we were very tired, was absolutely fine, and breakfast was very nice, and included plenty of fresh fruit, as well as Arabic and international breakfast items.

The very particular joy of this hotel, however, is the customer service received. One of the hotel drivers was waiting at the airport for me and my party, and took us quickly and smoothly in a very large Lexus towards the hotel, having first offered us cold water to drink and chilled towels to clean ourselves! The receptionists were charming and helpful, and as I had emailed ahead to advise that one of my party would be having a birthday on that very day, the receptionist said Happy Birthday! This guest found a birthday card from hotel staff and chocolates waiting in the room! When we went down for the dinner buffet, after the main course, the chef, the maitre and the waiters all appeared at the table to sing Happy Birthday, and brought with them a birthday cake for the guest! This is truly amazing customer service. Throughout our short stay we wanted to know about museums and other sights in the city, and the staff went to extraordinary lengths to make calls to find out about opening times, etc. Staff throughout the hotel were always on hand to offer assistance, and they were pleasant and friendly.

It is true that this is one of Doha's older hotels; it's true that it's not glitzy and blingy; it's true that it has ended up in the middle of a bit of a no-man's-land between the Corniche and a mosque and a road and some other buildings (!), but it is an incredibly pleasant, relaxed, comfortable place to stay, and the staff are truly to be commended on the excellent customer service that they offer the guest. I would recommend this hotel any time.

Room Tip: It's probably worth going for a junior suite as this is a large room.