“Excellent facilities, noisy rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Al Corniche Street | P.O. Box 6000, Doha, Qatar   |
Ranked #29 of 119 hotels in Doha
Markham, Canada
“Excellent facilities, noisy rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Sheraton is located on the beach, but far away from anything else if you like walking around shops/attractions etc. So if you are there for the beach, its great, otherwise if you are there for business you need to hire an expensive car from the hotel, or wait for the rare taxi. if you like walking around, there is the beach. There are no shops or local streets nearby where you can feel the vibe of the city. The gym has excellent facilities including Squash and tennis courts, and is located in a separate building. The signage is pretty bad so ask for directions. The rooms are comfy and have all the conveniences, except iron/ironing boards - but the biggest issue is that the rooms are not sound proof. you can hear planes at all hours of the day. Checkout and checkin takes a while, so be patient - its not like North America where you get your keys in less than 5 mins. Rooms facing the beach have great views !

Room Tip: beach facing !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDohaManager, General Manager at Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Naeemsiddiqi,

thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to learn that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel even so you felt disturbed by the noise of airplanes. Depending on the wind conditions, we at times experience aircrafts landing in Doha to fly closer to the hotel than normal, however, this is an extremely rare occurrence and with the opening of the new Doha Inernational Airport in a few weeks, this issue will be no longer be a problem. I have also taken note of your comment with regard to the proximity of shopping areas and must disagree with your statement that there are no shops nearby – infact, two of the major shopping centres and the majority of the corporate offices of Doha are located a meere ten minutes walk from the hotel. I do share your opinion that there are still an insufficient number of taxis available in in Doha and while the government is making progress in getting more taxis on the road, this will take a bit more time. However, the hotel can always arrange for a taxi and we also have a private limousine company available at the hotel so that trasportation from the hotel is never an issue. We do recommend, however, that you make prior transportation arrangements for your return trip to the hotel as you might not be able to get a taxi from the loaction you are at, which can be rather upsetting. I am sorry if you check-out experience was not as convenient as you are used to and I will review this matter with the team at our Front Desk to ensure that incidents of this nature will not recur again in te future.

I look very much forward to welcome you back again to the Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel and if there is anything I can assist you with in the meantime, please do let me know.

Yours sincerely,

J. Thomas C. van Opstal

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Have been coming to this hotel since 2003... it's not so much that the standards of Sheraton have dropped but more a case of other new hotels who have stepped up their gear. Still Sheraton is very nice - rooms are clean, spacious, well maintained. Staff are also very helpful.

Beach area is very nice. Gym is very well equipped.

I still love this hotel and chooses it every time i'm back in Doha, despite the glitz of the newer hotels.

Hotel location is at one end of the corniche, opposite end to where the airport is. So not really in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: If you like rooms with the sea view, take the ones ending with 20-30 something.. Since digit rooms a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Han_Ching,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor! I was very happy to note that you decided to return back to our hotel again and that you found our hotel, the facilities and the service up to your expectations. I agree with you that our hotel might not be a glitzy as some of the newer hotels in Doha, however I believe that our service and the facilities make up for that. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon and if possible, please look me up the next time you are in Doha – having lived for many years in Penang and Kuala Lumpur, I particularly look forward to meeting you personally. Kind regards and of course also Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Yours sincerely,

J. Thomas C. van Opstal

thomasvan.opstal@sheraton.com
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent 3 nights on business there. You could tell that in its day the place must have been amazing but time has past it by, like seeing an old ford probe car on the mtorway. You thought they were great back in the day but now looks a little past it.

As I was there on business I did not have time the sample the full hotel facilities but I have no complaints. Perhaps if I was paying myself I would stay elsewhere.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I spent 6 nights at the Sheraton Doha in January 2013. It was adequate for the purpose of the visit but has been exceeded in all respects by newer hotel competitors in Doha. Rooms are spacious, with nice terraces facing the bay or the pool. Valet service is pleasant and the concierge was helpful during the stay, calling ahead to a local restaurant to confirm a reservation; she even recognized me by name at one point during my stay which was a nice touch. My complaints - housekeeping was sluggish, and one day by 5pm my room remained uncleaned, so I had to go to the front desk to request housekeeping. Also, I was twice locked out of my room by the electronic keycard, which meant I had to go to the front desk and wait in line to get my access restored. The latter time I was made to wait behind the valet team who were clearing their invoices for the night with the front desk team.

Muscat, Oman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

4th stay. Beautiful structure, something different than other hotels. Rooms are large and clean. But to my surprise, one night I found a bed bug!!!!!!! Called the staff who promptly changed the entire bed and the sheets. The staff are not good. No smile at all. They work mechanically as if they are not bothered whether you come back again or not. No vegetarian stuff, but the salads were good. The bar on the 2 nd floor is very congested with lot of smoke. They should keep separate smoking room for smokers. It was nauseating.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
SheratonDohaManager, Manager at Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Prashanth P,

We regret to read of your experience during your recent stay with us.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for bringing this matter to our attention.

It is clear from your Tripadvisor Profile that you have visited many hotels around the world and we do value your feedback about our hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty and strive to recognize that loyalty whenever possible. I do apologize for the experience you encountered in the guest room and other issues during your stay with us.

Since you have mentioned a number of these in your review, I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in more detail to learn how you feel we could improve our overall services for future stays.

Please feel free to reach me at sheraton.doha@sheraton.com so I can investigate this further, as I would appreciate the chance to prevent similar events from occurring.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

A. Siessy
Hotel Manager
ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights only and we enjoyed the Sheraton. We have stayed at many 5 star hotels throughout the Middle East and the Sheraton in Doha is as good as any we stayed at. Excellent breakfast. We played indoor tennis at the adjoining sports facility which is a very nice facility indeed. The gardens and pool area at the rear of the hotel are very nice and really suited to families. We also enjoyed the atmosphere and music in the Irish Harp Bar each night. Our primary reason for travelling to Doha was to see the Qatar Tennis Open which was only a 10 minute taxi ride from the Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Have to say after reading some reviews we thought about switching hotels but I'm glad we didn't in the end

Some reviewers mentioned about extra charges but when we came to check out our bill was in perfect order , the (free) airport transfers were indeed free and we weren't charged for any extra bedding in the rooms for the children

There is a smell of smoke as you walk in the lobby but I don't believe you will avoid that anywhere in Doha and to be honest I thought the fans did a good job of removing it , it was certainly not a problem during our stay ... I didn't notice any drain type aromas that others have mentioned at all during our stay

Pool area was clean and looked after , a few loose tiles here and there but there are plans to renovate it and insert a slide and move the child pool as I understood it

Rooms were fine , again I didn't see any evidence of them being old , other than intentionally as that is the look / style the hotel are going for , the room certainly have more character than something like a modern and sterile Hilton ... you need a few hours or an 8 year old child to work out how to use the light switches though :-)

The sea was murky due to it mainly being mud on the sea floor ..and the bay contained very few fish , but we went out to the inland sea where the water was crystal clear ..and still didn't see any fish so if you want snorkelling maybe head to the Maldives instead :-) ... with the current building plans for Qatar (250+ 5 star hotels and 7 , 7 Star hotels ) there is a lot of building work going on 24 x 7 but it wasn't loud enough to keep anyone awake or disturb you by the pool ... the planes do sometimes come over the hotel at 2am but I think you'd get that at any hotel at that end of town until they open the new airport

Amusingly we all got locked out of our rooms after the New Year party had finished due to a computer glitch , but even that didn't spoil the night and the kids had great fun showing off to the other people waiting on the floor

Club rooms would be my recommendation , Happy hour between 18:00 and 20:00 means free alcohol (it's about £8 a beer in the hotel ) , but they also have nibbles and soft drinks all through the day , to the point that some days we didn't need to bother going out to eat ... we had 2 rooms and 951 was far bigger than the other room we had , so try and request it when checking in if you can :-)

We'd go back , for me Qatar has more charm than Dubai ( though that may change once they have built the aforementioned hotels ) and as a tourist the fact you are left along to wander about the place is a godsend , even in the Souk you are left alone ...

The Corniche is just around the corner from the hotel and you can go for a pleasant night time walk with the children and play in the playground ..or the city Mall is a 10 - 15 walk away

Taxi's we never got one to put the meter on , there is a sign in the back that says your journey is free if it isn't active but good luck with that one .... I'd say anything around 20 to 25 riyal to go the Souk is about average ... I think on the meter someone told me it would be around 15 - 16 so they aren't ripping you off by huge amounts

Room Tip: Looking at the fire plan , room 951 was largest room on that floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel? Share your experiences!