“Very Good Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 119 Hotels in Doha
Los Angeles
“Very Good Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in a club room for a short layover trip on the way to Europe. Some points about the hotel:

Location - It is in an excellent location on the water and in downtown Doha. Because it is centrally located, I could walk down the Corniche or into downtown. It is about a 10 minute taxi ride to the souq and Islamic museum, and about 15-20 minutes to the airport depending on traffic. Overall I think it is one of the best centrally located hotels in Doha.

Rooms - Rooms were very comfortable and maintained. No issues.

Staff and Service - All were very friendly and accommodating.

Ambiance - As other reviews stated, this is an older hotel and the property shows its age. It is kind of like stepping back in time 10-20 years and experiencing what used to be the premier hotel in Doha. While the hotel is dated, it has been maintained well. While I think the hotel could probably be gutted and refurbished from top to bottom, it was still comfortable. I liked the fact that there was a good amount of public spaces and outdoor spaces to include a large pool and beach area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I've stayed at Sheraton Doha this December. The hotel has good services and good room facilities. The room was clean and quiet although outside on the town side there was a big construction parking site.
The hotel is from the first generation of hotels in Doha and you can smell it each time when you enter into the hotel. After a while, you got used to the smell and cannot detect it unless you are very sensitive.
It has, however, a nice beach, which is good when you want to combine business with pleasure. The spa is poor, it has an old smelly sauna and old unfunctionable showers.
I would not recommend Doha itself as a tourist vacation destination.

Room Tip: Beach view, otherwise excavation park view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I assume during its years this hotel is a revered landmark of the Doha skyline. This pyramid like structure stands solitary against the backdrop of recently built modern skyscrapers, which actually ages the Sheraton somewhat. The hotel is not bad, I have been in better Sheratons, but this is not to say Sheraton Doha is bad either. It is shall I say an acquired taste. For me it fulfilled its purpose. The rooms are cosy, though I found the steps from my bed to the workdesk and verandah a tad hazardous, there were occasions I had to recover from being wrong footed. A disappointment is the lack of a dedicated wireless coverage. Any need for the internet is satisfied going to the ground lobby to get a signal. In terms of architectural design, the sense of being in a pyramid with indoor verandahs is a nice change. I particularly liked the see through elevators. Location wise, the hotel is not in the proximity of shopping centres but a big plus is it's along the beautiful Doha waterfront. Fresh seabreeze air early in the morning, followed by a good selection of breakfast offerings. Overall, it is a Sheraton experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had booked from November 1 to 6, knowing that we would arrive with an early morning flight on November 2. Check-in went relatively smooth and we were suddenly given our room, including an upgrade to a club floor room. The rooms are not new, but in good shape, so no problem about this one.
Getting a taxi is a nightmare. Actually they try to sell their hotel cars which cost three times the fare of a "normal" taxi. If you ask the bellhop to call a taxi, you will get a hotel car. Full stop. They will not call a normal taxi for you. You have two chances: in times of high guest turnover, wait for the next taxi in arrival and contact the driver directly. Or you go for the short walk down to the Corniche road and stop a taxi there. From a safety point of view, crossing the Corniche road is a nightmare (no pedestrian bridge, subway or traffic lights). Therefore unfortunately it is advisable to use taxis instead of walking even for short distances.
The hotel's biggest asset - being the oldest one in town - is their garden: with grown-up trees giving shadow, palm trees and the most amazing concert of birds. However, the equipment of their beach club dates back to the 1970's and is in desparate need of replacement: old shabby pool restaurant (if you enjoy Greek salad with Thousand Island sauce - then it is for you!), sun loungers in beginning state of decomposition, practically inexistent beach service (you have to ask for umbrellas!)... really a pity.
At check-out, we were charged an additional night due to our "early check-in" as well as the breakfast for the two of us on the first day, even though our reservation had started the evening before! This is far from correct and professional, because most charges are hidden between abbreviations on the invoice and you can hardly trace them. It took us lots of discussions to get that right and the correction took ages. I think this is the tactic behind - they hope for people that are in a hurry to rush to the airport and that will not discuss about these charges! Also, the clerk at check-in gave us a room without even telling us that this might lead to further charges... So reception service is definitely a no-go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The love story between me and the sheraton starts when I was a small child for many many reasons, first of all we were born together on 1982, also because my father took us there randomly, playing on the small red bricks on the entrance, going to the top by these great panorama left which was the first in Qatar and the best till now, we were looking to the amazing views from the top pointing to the red carpet on the round stairs where we chased and played, then looking to the place where we had our delicious lunch under the beautiful dome, laughing on the people in the lobby while they are getting small and small and small. my brother, my 3 sisters and me thought that this is the paradise and it's our home. I thought that Sheraton Doha Hotel is the best hotel all over the world and all Sheraton Hotel should be in the same pyramid shape and the same spacious lobby. On our 30th birthday Sheraton Doha Hotel and me, I got one night free by winning there competition on twitter, I got my voucher from The manager and I book that night on the sweet 15th of November 2012 to celebrate my wife's birthday. after that I do realize that it is really that Sheraton Doha Hotel is the best, not only because of the Wonderful places superb view from the leisur rooms and the hotel location, also for the kind of the staff everywhere, calling my name just like they knew me since I was born. I felt like they all celebrating our lovely occasion sending flowers to the room, complimentary birthday cake with a custom card to Miss Barghouti. My mother slept really deeply after a long days of insomnia on the Sheraton comfort bed, we had the same great breakfast like when I was small, my pretty wife walked on the sandy beach, run on the red round carpet stairs, play in the swing in the green garden. Finally still I feel Home, I am very very very happy being there just like my Mother, my Wife and my Mother in law.

Room Tip: Sea & Pool view Room is great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
williamsburg, virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was scheduled to stay here on business for three weeks in early September. My company uses this hotel regularly. But after only one evening, I decided to move to another, newer hotel. Although staff here are excellent and very accommodating, my allergies to tobacco, mold and dust made it impossible to stay any longer. Rooms are nicely furnished and clean for the most part but the extreme humidity, given it is located directly on the water, and age of the hotel, exacerbates the problem with mold and stale tobacco odors in rooms and common areas. No matter where I went in the hotel, the mildew and tobacco odors were evident. So, if you are sensitive to such factors in the environment, I recommend the newer Renaissance Hotel at City Centre. Again, I want to emphasize that all of the staff I dealt with at the Sheraton were outstanding and did everything they could to try to assist.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed at the Sheraton several years in a row now and it's quite a feature of the skyline - it was the first luxury resort in the city. It's very comfortable, and the Club level rooms looking out onto the water are really very nice. The health club is good and free to guests. La Veranda restaurant is where we usually have business dinners, and some of the dishes there are very good although you need to choose carefully. In several years though, the amenities and (more important) the menus have not changed significantly. While I feel affectionately about the place that doesn't change, I think there are now many many more and newer options. It also seems quite expensive, but I think that's part of the deal in Doha.

Room Tip: Club rooms, view over the water
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Doha Resort & Convention Hotel? Share your experiences!