“Past Aroma” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 119 Hotels in Doha
Oman
“Past Aroma”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Since this is first trip for me to Qatar I had difficulties to choose hotel. Also I am visited Qatar for part inspection in workshop that located 90kms from Doha center which ha allowing me to select any hotels regardless of its location. I have been noticed quite late to make hotel arrangement. Anyhow as usual I have checked in website for quick reference. And I found one hotel that been rated very high and it was located near souq waqif which is traditional market. I know about Souq Waqif and I like traditional market thus I have selected this hotel accordingly

Due to unforeseen problem air plan was cancelled then I was forced to book in early flight at about 4:00am I have reached hotel where I found reservation made ready and it took several minutes to check in. I was extremely exhausted and I had to wake up early for inspection. Unfortunately room was allocated nearby main street and windows were not insulated and I have difficulties to sleep. I have requested Reception to change room but they could not find any room available in this hotel nor near hotel ( same series). I was completely pest off because I went through hassle that day and I could not find quiet place to sleep. I was extremely disappointed to select this hotel and I was not aware of this noise issue. Anyhow I was offered next day with very nice big room.

Apart of above issue Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel ( 5 Star ) is excellent hotel Unfortunately I was so busy that I could not say much longer in hotel during my visit to Doha . Staff was so welcomed and warm. Although checking in was very easy. I stayed in Hotel for 2 night I should stayed for three nights.

Reception or entrance was so charming and frankly was showing as 5 stars hotel. I was so impressed with entrance decoration and traditional decor

New Room size was big enough for two person . it has setting room with big sofas but its view was not good at all. Two TV screens were very big and nice. Bed was king size and very comfortable. Also bath was very big and stylish and clean. All necessary bath Accessories ( Amoug) were available it is my favor perfume . I like so much carpet it was very beautiful

Breakfast was normal and acceptable but it was very limited menu. It was not attractive at all. In general breakfast was not up to 5 stars hotel standard even for omelet for extra charge!!!!

This hotel was really located in almost main area of Doha and it is heart of most famous traditional big market SOUQ WAQIF . It is very close and airport. It is very near public transportation. It is also close to several fast food restaurant and inside SOUQ Waqif several excellent restaurant. In general every things nearby to this hotel.

In conclusion this is excellent hotel for tourist cares about tradition and will like to live true middle east historical era and go back to Past Aroma

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SWBH, Manager at Al Mirqab - Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MohammedOman,

Firstly, let us thank you for choosing our Hotel as we know that you had choice of various accommodations in the city. We are so pleased that you chose and enjoyed your stay with us.

We are so pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us especially your compliments on our traditional surroundings of Souq Waqif. We are also glad that you have enjoyed our spacious, pleasant and comfortable rooms.

We also appreciate your honest feedback regarding your breakfast experience and we do apologize for any inconvenience caused from Souq's bustling. Your valuable feedback will assist us to strive harder and improve further in these areas.

Once again, thank you very much and we look forward to welcome you back on future trip to Doha.

Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I wanted to stay away from the "big name" hotels and was looking for a more authentic chic experience. The website promised this experience, the actual experience - however - was even better. Everything inside the hotel is very beautiful and tastefully decorated The service was impeccable. The rooms are very comfortable and staff attends to every whim (we forgot our UK plugs..). The big surprise is how much "inside" the Souq Waqif you really are and how fun the experience is to "live" within it for the few days we had in Doha. We did all the other things too (Katara, Modern Art and Islamic Art Museum which is walking distance) but taxis are so cheap and it is so easy to get from one place to another, that nothing is more fun than to be "where it is happening" and live in "olden times" in total luxury. The Souq is such a lively place at night and during the day. With the absence of crime, you also feel completely safe to walk around and enjoy the various restaurants and music. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SWBH, Manager at Al Mirqab - Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Antifragility Travel,

Thank you for taking out time to convey your feedback on your recent stay at Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel. First let us thank you for choosing our Hotel; we know that you had choice of various accommodations in the city and we are pleased that you chose and enjoyed your stay with us.

It has always been our goal to maintain high standards of hospitality and deliver outstanding personalized service to our esteemed guest like you. And we are grateful that our efforts are well-appreciated. This is why a wonderful review like yours is our own success story.

We look forward with pleasure to welcome you back on your future visits to Qatar.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed for 3 days and it is expensive since this hotel is a 5 star hotel. Location is good coz the hotel is located at the heart of Doha. The food for the breakfast is fine but not good enough for a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk not to put you on the side of the shisha area coz it is noisy as the people are h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rafael D,

Thank you so much for your recent stay and review at Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel.

We are so glad to read your comments about our hotel location particularly in the heart of Doha i.e., Souq Waqif, which is one of our great asset.

Please accept our sincerest apology for the breakfast that did not live up to your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class excellence. We have documented your feedback and have already starting working on improvising breakfast options and service in East restaurant. I appreciate your comments as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we hope that you give us a chance in the to serve you again with our promise to provide high standards of service to valuable guests like you.

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Souq Waqif is your doorstep and the sounds and smells of the restaurants and cafe's hang in the air, all pleasant and adding to the feeling you have left modern sterile Doha behind. The hotel is deceptive, it frontage looks small but the interior seems to go on an on with basement level meeting rooms and exhibition space, a ground floor that houses a theatre and an atrium that lifts 3 levels above that. The second floor poor is small but adequate with views out over the older souq buildings to the West Bay. The greeting by the front office (and the departure) were all very pleasant. The room we had on the third floor (302) was finished to a very high standard and the decor on the way to the room and internally reflects the Arabic culture in various motifs. I like the fretwork and geometry of the Arabic design and so I found this pleasing and familiar. The room was, as said, well decorated, the screens for the windows were unusual but functioned as they should. The AC setting at 19C was too cold and needs to be preset around 22C (think of the saved energy) and the lights switches are not the best design for simplicity. The bed was very comfortable as were all the furnishings. The only negative is the view from this rooms window, out over the old rooftops, old discoloured water tanks and mass of piping and AC units to the West Bay. However I did not spend lots of time in the room looking out the window but a view is important. I would rate this hotel as very good in all it amenities from spas to pool and decor, the continental breakfast is not adventurous or filling so may need to be addressed with some variety but the restaurant area itself and the service is excellent. Eating out in the souq must be one of the plus points here and you need to walk around and take in the sights too. If asked would I stay here again or recommend this hotel, my answer would be yes, with no reservations at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the souq.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SWBH, Manager at Al Mirqab - Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear John R M,

Thank you for taking a few minutes of your valuable time in writing review about your experience at Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel, Souq Waqif,

We are pleased to read your positive comments about the location of our hotel as well as the services provided by our team members.

We have well noted your comments about temperature control and breakfast variety. Thank you for these valuable comments as we are able to find out things that we can improve to make your stay more enjoyable and in order to meet your expectations. We also appreciate your honest feedback regarding view from your room as we were able to know that we still have to strive harder and improve further in this area.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

If there is anywhere you would like to stay in in Doha, that would be definitly Souq Waqif: one of the very few old-new developpments in the Gulf with a real authentic feel. The souq is full of charm, fabuloulsy lacks luxury and bling bling, and this is exactly what we need in a Souq (think opposite of the Madinat Jumeirah, which is magnificent for sure, but grandiose).
Al Mirqab, is labelled boutique hotel, but it is not indeed. It is just a medium size hotel fitted inside souq waqif, and is part pf a group of 5 hotels that makes the group of "souq waqif hotels"
Al mirqab is completely themed arabian, with nice wood works. The standard room is fair in size, has a good relaxing feel with warm colors and nice fabrics. The pool is small, means cosy. The service is excellent, the food is good but not really 5 stars, maybe on purpose to match this "boutique" standard.
I give it 4 points because it is really so conveniant. Walking out through the lobby puts us immediately inside souq waqif, and having a Shisha (water pipe) on the ground floor is a true nice experience for those who like this unhealthy practice.
I love the place, and would be interrested in trying the other Souq waqif hotels, specially the Al-Najjada which seems absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: Take a room with a view on the souq, a bit more noisy but worth the charm
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SWBH, Manager at Al Mirqab - Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Wissopower,

Let me thank you for choosing Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel for your recent stay and for your valuable feedback.

We are so pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels was founded on an enduring connection between the history and tradition of Souq Waqif and the need for the provision of personalized, tailor made, boutique hotel services. We are extremely delighted to read your description about our hotel and services. We will do our best to keep up the standard to always meet with your expectations. We're also glad that you have chosen us where you have enjoyed and recommended our pleasant and comfortable rooms with Souq view.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcome you back to one of our 5 hotels in Souq Waqif which are all unique in its design, architecture and the atmosphere that it presents.

Beijing
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

this hotel is one of closet to Airport. and Part of renew old city heritage of Arabian area.
Hotel is 5 star and prefect for overnight in Doha. if you want too go back old times. just outdoor is old market( Souk Wajaif) no cars allowed. and you can have different restaurants or coffee shops options. nice swimming pool for late afternoon.

even kids have some nice games around. Adults can shop or walk to Islamic museum of Doha

Room Tip: try get toward market view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SWBH, General Manager at Al Mirqab - Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear "q8engrchina"

Thank you for your very kind words. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Al Mirqab and I truly look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

With Kind Regards

Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Spent one night here on a stopover in Doha. I received a phone call in Australia the day before my stay asking my arrival time & if I ad any special requests. I stated that I arrived into Doha early in the morning. When I arrived at the hotel at 8am, I was greeted by name as soon as I walked in, received a drink and was promptly shown to my room. I greatly appreciated the ealy check in after a long overnight flight.
The room was beautiful, with a great view of the Souq. I had a problem with the tv and someone was sent to the room very promptly to fix it. All staff that I encountered were extremely polite, friendly & eager to help.
The hotel seemed very empty but that could be due to the time of the year, it was unbearable hot so everyone else, like me, could have been relaxing in their rooms. At the right time of the year it would be a great hotel in prime position for exploring the souq. I did venture out later in the day & it only took 5minutes to reach the corniche.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear "Jeninaus"

With Kind Regards

Al Mirqab Boutique Hotel
Management

Been to Al Mirqab - Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels? Share your experiences!