“A grand hotel but needs a a great deal of improvements” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Doha West Bay Area, Doha 14435, Qatar   |
Ranked #14 of 124 Hotels in Doha
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore
“A grand hotel but needs a a great deal of improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed for 5 days at the St Regis Doha. With the St Regis branding, you would and should expect a certain level of service, excellence in facilities and that "X or wow factor". Sadly, this hotel is lacking in most of these attributes and I'll tell you why.

Firstly the pros and where the hotel does indeed excel. Huge, grand, and lavish lobby, spotlessly clean and well maintained common areas. The ground floor was clearly designed to impress even the most discerning traveller, and of course sufficiently ostentatious to even impress the many Arab royalties who do frequent this address. The hotel boasts about 6 restaurants, though not all are open all day or for all meals. The two Gordon Ramsey restaurants within the hotel were certainly not as impressive as I hoped for. The Chinese inspired restaurant - Hakkasan was much better and more lively in atmosphere. Breakfast in the hotel main restaurant (Vine) was just average, with a rather limited selection of local and international food.

The gym was huge by most hotel standards with all the latest modern equipment you would need and the pool is magnificent - just about Olympic size! There is also a private but very small beach front area and the hotel does have some stunning views of the city skyline and of the new development called "The Pearl".

Now to the cons and where vast improvements need to be made. Firstly, the facility itself. For a relatively new hotel, I was surprised to see so much wear and tear already quite apparent. In my room for eg (room 206), parts of the walls were discoloured from leakages I believe, and the floor carpet was not well maintained. The room design looked a bit dated. Even though the hotel opened officially in May 2012, you get the feeling that its "been around" much longer. I anticipate this to worsen and hence I think the management needs to pay greater attention to the standard of maintenance and housekeeping.

Location wise, this hotel is really "in the middle of nowhere". Perhaps in a few years time, when the new developments have been done up, this hotel might be considered one that is well located. You need to take a 30 minute or so taxi ride to the city centre and to all the tourist attractions.

Within the room, the bed was too soft and the water pressure in the shower could be much better. Housekeeping was generally ok, but I think the real challenge is to deal with the poor quality of the materials, furnishings and finishings.

Service was inconsistent. While the concierge was generally responsive and alright, it was often very difficult to reach them on the phone. The "ground staff" at the lobby all looked a bit confused, especially when the crowds increased. Some of them looked rather "lost", not knowing what to do or how to respond to queries by hotel guests.

Another horrible practice is that the hotel still allows smoking within the lobby lounge. When I was at the W Hotel in Doha (for a lovely meal at the Market by Jean Georges), I noticed a staff who politely but firmly told a couple of Arab women that smoking within the premises is not permitted. I applauded the staff for doing so.

Overall, while the St Regis looks superficially grand in design and ambition, you just get the feeling that it has not reached that level of professionalism and competency that one would expect of a truly luxury 5* hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

It is always great to receive constructive feedback so that we can constantly improve our standards and services.

Whilst I was delighted to know that you appreciated our hotel’s facilities, the cleanliness, design and decoration, I was disappointed to find out that the services we provide did not meet your expectations in certain areas.

We have taken on board all your observations regarding the maintanance, service inconsistencies and assistance throughout the hotel and would like to assure you that we are taking immediate actions to improve this.

Thank you once again for taking the time and effort to share your impressions with us, we do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and i would like to invite you to contact me directly on your next visit so i can personally assist you with the arrangements.

With kind regards,

Tareq Derbas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Arabic first
Dawsonville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed at the St Regis for a week and can not say enough about this great hotel. All services are 5 star. The food, the rooms, the view...what a great hotel. I stayed there for 5 days last week and was treated like royalty. From the minute I arrived to the time I left they were great. The view is great, the beach, the jazz club was excellent, the wine bar with a piano player and singer..excellent! Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good. Great design
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback.

It was a pleasure to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us, the services we provide, the food, the comfort of our rooms and particularly the Jazz Club and the atmosphere throughout the hotel.

We are much looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Doha, Qatar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I visited St. Regis doha when was just oppend and I got shocked from the cheap finishing specialy the interior decoration and the wood skirting is one of the restaurants.
the service is so bad specialy at the lobby cafe and valet parking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking to time to share your feedback with us.

While I was pleased to know that you appreciated the design of our hotel, it was disappointing to know that the decoration was not up to your expectations in certain areas.

Your remarks will be integrated into our ongoing quality management program.

Thank you very much once again and we do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The St Regis Doha in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my first visit to Doha so I can't offer comparisons with other hotels. I was more than happy staying here, with a comfortable and spacious room and excellent amenities in the way of restaurants, bars, and relaxation areas. Service and attentiveness of employees is excellent. It is great to see this level of management attention and employee training. Internet speeds could be a lot better in this day and age, as could reliability. The 'free' option is deliberately limited in download speed which again is a petty feature. The hotel location is a little remote, although that means it has its own private sand beach and it is only a kilometre from Katara Cultural Village, an area of seafront and restaurants. All in all, I would be more than happy to return to the property on future visits.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for a great feedback.

I was truly delighted to know how much you appreciated your experience with us, the facilities and services we provide, the variety of restaurants, the design, decoration and atmosphere of the hotel and particularly the professionalism of our teams.

It is always gratifying for us to receive such positive feedback as this gives us the opportunity to show our associates that their efforts are truly appreciated by our guests.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share with us your impressions. We are much looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

i stayed 3 days in st regis Doha is a marvelous hotel and the staff is excellent in all ways.it is expensive but otherwise very good experience.the weather was nice.the only problem was that it is little away of the city center..

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions with us and for the kind and constructive feedback.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I had a great time in my last Business trip to Doha, my stay in St, Regis was a great experience, the staff were so friendly and helpful, especially n the Vintage Bar, Kris the bar tender, AJ and the all the rest.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for a great feedback.

It was pleasing to know how much you enjoyed your experience with us and the overall friendliness of our associates particularly our Vintage team.

Looking forward to your next visit,

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I had a fantastic experience at SaraB Lounge Cafe. The atmosphere was very relaxing with a nice music. It was Christmas Season and the hotel had a huge Christmas tree and a delicious Gingerbread house. The waiter (Janyla Mamasheva) was so kind and attentive, she told me about the program of festivities in the hotel. The tea and caked were absolutely delicious. All the stuff was very polite and very responsive, I felt like they were my friends. I felt very welcome at this hotel and enjoyed my evening a lot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
TareqDerbas, General Manager at The St. Regis Doha, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the wonderful feedback.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the warm atmosphere and decoration at The St Regis Doha and particularly the Tea Ritual and the professionalism of our associates.

Wishing you Happy Holidays and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Tareq Derbas

Been to The St. Regis Doha? Share your experiences!