“Nothing Special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of New York Steakhouse

New York Steakhouse
West Bay City Center, Al Wahda Street, West Bay, PO Box 25500 | Marriott Marquis City Center Doha Hotel, Doha 25500, Qatar
+974 4419 6100
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #26 of 461 Restaurants in Doha
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Be stunned by this restaurant’s Doha, Qatar setting and traditional steakhouse feel. A truly memorable dining experience embodying the rich tradition of fine American steakhouses. Closed on Saturdays.
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Nothing Special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Nothing wrong, but for the price you pay I expected something a bit more to be honest.
Service was ok, apart from the fact my colleague didn't get a chance to eat his starter before it was whisked away.
The choice of food is good, but the descriptions on the menu really needs to be more detailed. Four of us ordered Bourbon mash, not expecting it to have melted marshmallow on the top. We all left it as it was too sweet. Maybe our fault?

Ok, but quite pricey.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Robert C, Director of Beverage & Food at New York Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hello Chris

I would like to thank you for visiting us in the New York Steakhouse and for taking time to give feedback on your visit. It is disappointing to see that you have not received the meal experience that the New York team strives to achieve. I would value an opportunity to discuss your visit further and if you could contact me on robert.catlin@renaissancehotels.com so that we can arrange a suitable time. Thank you once again for your comments and I hope to hear from you soon.

Heinsberg, Germany
“The best steaks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Although pricy, this place outperforms the normal high dollar chains in the US. Opt for the Wagyu and you will not be disappointed, but be prepared for a thinner than usual cut. Service was on par. Definitely worth a visit if you can stomach the prices.

Visited August 2012
Robert C, Director of Beverage & Food at New York Steakhouse, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Good Day “dsr0222”

Thank you for visiting us at the New York Steak House and for your time taken to share your experience with us.

It is always fantastic to be compared to great steakhouses around the world and the New York team will be motivated by such praise.

Thank you once again for your comments about our New York Steakhouse and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Doha.

Doha, Qatar
“Good steak in Doha”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The wafting aroma of steak is pretty enticing on the 2nd floor of this hotel and much nicer than the odd smell down the other end of the floor (often smells like rubbish or waste). The interior is very nice and in keeping with other steak houses around town in that leathery gentleman club style. We were greeted by a lovely maître d' who was a regular Western guy, who you chat to in English no problem, thank heavens! Real service is starting appear in Doha, more substance and less "yes sir, thank-you mam". Lovely tables, nice setting, ambient lighting, would make a good power business dinner or romantic evening for two. We were there on the former and thank heavens the prices were a little jaw dropping, alas the beloved Tomahawk steak at 800QAR will be eaten when I win the Airport Millionaires Draw! Having eaten at great steak houses around the world I was still fairly surprised at just how expensive this place was for a steak, but I guess it’s aimed at expense account people not regular people like me! The amuse bouche was very tasty, but what's not to love about truffle and cauliflower, match made in heaven. I've never really eaten yorkie puddings, so not expert, they certainly look spectacular, I liked the flecks of herbs in the batter and touch of Parmesan on top. The entrees were tasty as they were dramatic, the onion ring stacks, prawn cocktail and beef tartare a feast for the eyes and tummy, great modern plating design. I think the steak menu could’ve done with explaining the cuts better, but I did like how it was divided into country. When I looked in the fridge on the way in, it was easy to see the US meat was leaner so that's what I went with. I know Wagyu/Kobe and all that is in vogue, but I really find it just too fatty and rich, a mouthful and I'm over it. It’s so rich in taste and texture, that in my opinion it suits more subtle and smaller preparations, not a 600 gram plate filler! Give me a lean rare steak which tastes of beef please (the farm girl in me coming out)! I ordered the US Kansas Steak (280QAR) which when it came out looked like a porterhouse/sirloin if you are from OZ like me, but I didn't know that! and I shouldn't have ordered it blue, while I love my steak super rare it just didn’t suit the cut (or this piece) at all, far too sinewy/stringy. My bad, but a good waitress when taking an order in steakhouse would have known this and mentioned the inappropriate cut to cooking temp. I’ve actually been “adjusted” in other steakhouses in Australia and Europe and they were always right. But it does come down to genuine staff knowledge and understanding. I ordered the Roquefort & Port Sauce which was a rich dark brown demi glaze, tasty but not what I was expecting, I favour a little more blue cheese :-) So I gave up on the steak (even my Laguiole knife had given up) and headed for the side dish. The sides were great looking, I had the baked potato, the size of a baby’s head! Smothered in whipped cream and oven baked garlic…mmmm. When steaks were served a large platter of 8 or so condiments were put down but nothing was explained so I didn’t try any of it, not sure really what is was, maybe fancy salts or something? Now let’s put this in context, you love a posh steak, you live in Doha, you are really rich, you are dining on other people's money or your job has a great expense account. Where are you going to go? I’d say go here! This is a great option, convenient location, cosy, dependable, all sorted. Me, I love posh steak, I live in Doha but I’m not rich or have an expense account, so I’ll go to Megamart spend 60QAR on the best possible thick US steak I can find, fire up the grill pan, throw on some Portobello mushrooms, steak 2 minutes first side, quarter turn 1 minute, flip, 2 minutes, quarter turn. Serve with a bottle of Shiraz.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hello “sumo_trades”

Thank you for your review of your recent visits to our New York Steak House, your comments are much appreciated.

Great comments and we do value the very detailed nature of your reviews. It is with such feedback that we continually endeavor to improve our menu, service and dining experience for all our guests.

I would value an opportunity to meet with you and if you could contact me on robert.catlin@renaissancehotels.com to arrange a suitable time or do ask for me the next time you pass by.

Thank you once again for your comments

Doha, Qatar
“Nice but extremely overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We decided to celebrate a birthday in a style. The service is excellent. The decor is very appealing. The food was very good. The desert was not as expected. The bill was crazily expensive. Good for special occasions.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hello “wh0208674”

Belated Birthday wishes to you.

Thank you for visiting us in the New York Steakhouse and for taking time to give feedback on your visit.

Whilst it seems that we have delivered in most areas, it is disappointing to see that we have fallen short of your expectations in regard to your meal experience.

Thank you once again for your comments and I hope to hear from you soon.

Doha, Qa
“Nice Steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We went there to try it. and were surprised how good was it. It has the special american atmosphere serving some nice stakes.

Visited June 2012
Good Day “Ammn11”

I would like to thank you for taking time to give your feedback in regard to your visit to our New York Steakhouse and I do agree with you about the steaks that we have on offer, they are fantastic!

Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.