“Well run hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 119 hotels in Doha
london
“Well run hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in Diplomatic suite, which is huge, but does have few lighting issues (very dark) club lounge is excellent must rank one of the best for intercontinental, staff and service all very good for a newly opened hotel, pool area is very small and not ideal but for business traveller is a very well organised and well run hotel, yes it does have few issues which will slowly be ironed out lifts are bit of a pain, as with high rise buildings,some sewage smells in building at various times, once these teething problems are sorted this could become a excellent hotel to stay if you have business in Doha

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Dubaiman,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for giving us such a great comment “ranked one of the best for InterContinental ” .We really look forward to your next stay with us.

Best regards

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This stay was by far the most disappointing for an InterContinental hotel. My recommendation, find another hotel. First and foremost, the hotel was not designed or built by InterContinental. There are so many design flaws I cannot list them all here and offer just a few: floor to ceiling windows in the bathroom, glass between the bathroom and bedroom (the hotel put up black plastic but it stills allows light in), air conditioning problems, poor room lighting, and staff lifts out in the open.

A problem with the air conditioning resulted in me falling ill. I set the thermostat to 23 (73) and awoke to a cold room with a temperature of 13 (55). I called for maintenance at 08:00 and they arrived after 11:30 when I called for them again. Additionally, I experienced problems with routine items such as directions within the buildings, a non-existent business centre, delayed laundry service, uncaring staff, and calls for service.

The hotel is in an excellent location and I did enjoy the hotel restaurants. The rooms are spacious with new furnishings.

Room Tip: Select a room that is not on a corner of the building. Staff advised me the units in the middle of...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Sabtraveler

Happy New year to you. Thank you for your positive comments on our hotel restaurants and spacious rooms. Please accept our sincerely apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay with us. I do believe my colleague, our Front Office Manager met you and had a detailed discussion with you in order to rectify and improve on the quality of your stay. We have taken into consideration all the different aspects you mentioned and rest assured that they are being appropriately handled.

Best regards,
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I got a complimentary voucher to stay in this hotel for 1 night.. Me and my friend stayed in the Deluxe Room... The moment we check in we have felt the genuine hospitality of the staffs especially the filipina girl who checked us in.. think her name is Roxanne... she offered us a late check out of 3 pm... awesome! and then we were treated with a tour of the hotel c/o the Bell Captain, Ruel, he is awesome... it's an added perks for us... and helped us a lot in terms of getting around the hotel... he is very helpful... he made sure that we are well taken care of.. and even upgraded our check out again this time until 6 pm... double awesome! our overall experience was great! the hotel was fantastic... we are already dreaming of coming back... maybe soon... ;)

Room Tip: we were in the 42nd floor and the view from our room was great... =)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Dear Maria24Doha_Qatar

Thanks for the fantastic review. We are very pleased to hear from you, especially being a Doha residence. I will be sure to pass the comments to Roxanne and Ruel. I hope you had a chance to enjoy some of our dining experiences, if not you are more than welcome to come and try it at anytime.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We came for the Doha Book Fair and stayed for two weeks. Our Royal Ambassador status was well respected with an upgrade to a suite that was really big. In terms of size of room this is one of the better places you see. I have seen a good number of Interconti hotels, and Doha The City is definitely in the upper band in terms of room size. As it is a brand new hotel, everything is clean and nice and new. The bathrooms are awesome with a fantastic view. The Club Lounge is big and very nice. It also has a terrace for smokers with a nice view down on the other high-rises.
I had read several reviews from Ambassador members saying the status was not well respected and they did not get all what they wanted to. Let me say this: We had to ask and we asked a few times and we asked the right people. But once all the discussions were settled we cannot complain. Now when you look at the rate and the size of style of the room, and the benefits for an Ambassador in the chain, this is one of the best deals you can make in Doha, no question. I would come here again any time.
The location could not have been better for us. Walking distance from a big mall where you get everything you need, and five minutes drive from the convention center. 15 min to the airport when traffic is low.

Dear tgoeldenitz

Thank you for this fantastic review. It was such a pleasure reading it. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and yes the bathrooms have a great view! We are also very proud of our club lounge. We strive to do everyone possible to deliver the best experience to our ambassadors and I am very glad to hear that you were happy with the end results.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

8 months after my first stay at this hotel, when they first opened, still amazed by the attentiveness of the staff and the warm welcome i had. As soon as stepped into the reception, i was welcomed back, how nice to be remembered.
I was given a club room on the 42nd floor overlooking the city, with amazing view during both, night and day. It was so spacious, lounge area with exceptional fruit amenities. Large desk where you can easily use your laptop and very well lit as well.
The bathroom even more spacious including a shower room, my favourite. The shower head is a rectangular of 20x30cm, that showers you with high pressure of water. Most importantly the temperature of the water was stable and no fluctuation.
There are beautiful lounges and restaurants which i had the chance to try the Strata, on the 56th floor. It is on 2 levels, restaurant on one level and the lounge is on the mezzanine level. I had the smoked lobster, which was smoked freshly using a smoking gun, it is out of this world. As well they smoke drinks. Just wow.
This place is my favourite hotel s far in Doha

Room Tip: Use club rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
General Manager G, General Manager at InterContinental Doha The City, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear AlfredM82
Thank you for this great review! What a pleasure to read this. I am glad you enjoyed the shower and the water temperature.
My favourite part of this review is ‘I had the smoked lobster, which was smoked freshly using a smoking gun, it is out of this world. As well they smoke drinks. Just wow.
This place is my favourite hotel far in Doha’
You are more than welcome and we really look forward to having you back in Doha at our property!
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have used this hotel for business trips since it opened last year.

Convenient central location, spacious and comfortable rooms, good bar and restaurant, well equipped gym and adequate pool. The only thing it misses is an outside pool terrace.

Of course, the most important factor is the friendliness and efficiency of the staff who are first class.

Dear JandJWestSussex

Thank you for your great comments about our ‘first class staff’. It is lovely to hear this. Yes we do pride ourselves in being a great business hotel and this is thanks to loyal customers such as yourselve.
We look forward to your next visit.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had a 23-hour layover in Doha on our way back from India to the US, so we decided to spend a day in Doha (which turned out to be a GREAT idea) and we stayed at this hotel. It is within a 5 minute walk to the City Center Mall, and overall very centrally located. Parts of the hotel are still under construction, but we didn't find it bothersome. The whole area around the hotel is like that, in fact but again, it didn't bother me much. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms comfortable and modern. The bathroom was HUGE. Our room faced the back of Doha (towards the Aspire tower) so although it was a great view, I'm sure it wasn't as cool as facing towards the city. We had room service and it was delicious. The staff was also really helpful with helping us with cabs etc. I would definitely come back to Doha and stay again at this hotel. Great job!

Room Tip: I'm sure there's no bad view at this hotel, but I'd ask for a high floor and facing the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GP110174

It is great that you got to spend time at our hotel during your short layover. Yes our hotel has a great location and that is one of our key selling points. Thank you for all your positive comments and we hope you get to stay with us for a longer time on your next trip.

Renzo M. Cavagliotti

Been to InterContinental Doha The City? Share your experiences!