“Relaxing!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 119 Hotels in Doha
St. John's, Canada
“Relaxing!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here for one month 2011. The room was very large and well stocked with juice, soda, water. The staff very friendly and prompt response with any request. Breakfast was normal buffet style, quite good. There is a lounge in this hotel, found men to be quite forward, while speaking with staff at reception desk - men throw there phone numbers down from the lounge which is open
concept directly above reception desk. Swimming pool very nice, however, it is located between two buildings thereby blocking out the beautiful Doha sun....move to the end of the pool for sunshine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I would definitely rate this as a 4 star hotel. To say the double room we were given was "massive" is an understatement! The bed was a super size king sized bed and fitted with a 40" LG LCD and plug in internet access (no charge).

In terms of appearance the entrance and reception area are your normal bog standard polished marble. There is a center piece chandelier and the reception is over looked by the mezzanine. However it must be noted that some parts of the hotel are dated and even though the room was very big the carpet had a ripple in it which was a testimony to its age.

Both Souq Waqif and the Islamic Museum are within walking distance 10 mins at a brisk pace.

However before concluding this review I need to mention the extraordinary customer service we received. After checking out and flying our of Doha my partner had realised she had left her ring in the hotel room. I sent an email three days later and they had found the ring and registered it against our names and was kept in storage. 4 months later when I was back in Doha I was able to collect the ring. Amazing!

Room Tip: Didn't take the taxi from the hotel to the airport. Stepped outside and hailed a "private u...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I am writing this review from the Swiss-Belhotel Doha- we are currently staying here for a few weeks while we are waiting on our Qatari residency visa's to come through.

First of all, on a positive note- the rooms is exceptionally large, which is great given that we are here for an extended length of time and unlike a normal 'holiday', we are spending a considerable amount of time in the room.

The staff, buying large are very friendly and helpful.

I felt compelled to write this review as I have been having significant issues with the wifi in this hotel. As a couple who are working a lot from the hotel during our time here, good internet is very important to us.

Between the wifi cutting out sporadically when trying to send work emails, or cutting out while trying to stay in touch with friends and family on Skype, I am finding the whole thing very frustrating.

The front desk dont appear to be able to do anything about it, however they did say 'we have trouble with Apple products connecting to the internet here'. I can assure you that I gave up trying to get online via my iphone and ipad weeks ago, however my Toshiba laptop still wont connect properly/consistently.

I've tried various locations around the hotel (our room just wont work at all- 8th floor) I've tried the reception area, the lobby, outside the bar, the only place it seems to work well is the business centre, which makes sense, however any time I go down there the door to the boardroom seems to be wide open with people inside it (the boardroom & business centre are connected) Needless to say chatting on Skype with a whole load of delegates looking at you isnt ideal. Perhaps the issue could be solved by just closing the door.

I think it's important that people are aware of this problem, particularly if like us, you are heavily reliant on internet for the duration of your stay and would like to be able to get online freely in the comfort of your own room.

Room Tip: Request a room as far away from the mosque as possible, and also ask if they have rooms that have st...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stay at the Swiss bel as a stopover. It was very clean and the room was very large. We chose the hotel as it was a very good price and i felt we got what we paid for. The only bad point was the pool area. It is located between two large buildings which block the sun out and channel the wind which can make it feel quite cold at times.

It was fine for a stopover but i wouldn’t want to spend a long time at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights.
If you are looking for a 5 star hotel this is not your best choice in Doha (at most a 4 start). The rooms are not very spacious. The restaurant is not well managed as well as the rest of the facilities.
I cannot recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a 5 min walk from the souq waquif and the staff friendly. My room was huge and the aircon worked a treat. The breakfast was superb with a good choice and the buffet at night well worth the money . Only downside were the lifts which seemed to have a mind of thier own, but all in all quite good.

• Stayed June 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

A third or fourth visit to the Swiss-Belhotel in Doha and still impressed. The public areas are not as grand or spacious as some of the others in the region but are pleasant and functional and the staff working in these areas are attentive, friendly and helpful. The rooms make up for the entrance areas in terms of size. They are among the largest I have stayed in, in a hotel of the Swiss Belhotel's rating, they are spacious, well equipped and modern, with an equally impressive en-suit which is liberally stocked with toiletries and boasts fluffy,adult sized towels. Restaurant food is good without being spectacular and again the staff deserve a quick mention.
I mentioned at reception that the TV in me room had a very poor picture. 10 minutes later, there was a pleasant little man flicking my channels and telling me that the TV was faulty and that they would replace the set, which they did about 10 minutes later.

Downsides? The pool gets about 5 minutes direct sun a day, well maybe a bit more than that but you get my drift! and it acts as a bit of a wind tunnel if it's a bit breezy out. The plumbing is a bit on the noisy side with the sounds of running water and flushing toilets competing with the mussac in the hallway to be the main background entertainment. I wise investment for the hotel might be coat-hangers - I got 1 in the otherwise good-sized wardrobes.

$64,000 question - would I use the hotel again - I just did and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Swiss-Belhotel Doha? Share your experiences!