“Not bad, but not good enough for us to return to” 3 of 5 stars

Swiss-Belhotel Doha
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jabr Bin Mohamed Street Old slala, Doha, Qatar   |
Ranked #63 of 124 Hotels in Doha
Houston
“Not bad, but not good enough for us to return to”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

The good:
- The room was huge and cozy enough. We always appreciate having a spacious hotel room, and this was definitely a large room and had a spacious bathroom. For that amount of space, it would have been nice if the toilet could be closed off from the rest of the bathroom areas.
- We didn't eat at the restaurant, but we did order room service. We were pleasantly surprised by how delicious our entrees were. It was expensive, but typical hotel room service prices. We enjoyed a ribeye steak and pasta dish. My steak was a little overcooked but was good and tasty.
- The location of the hotel was good for us. The main things (Museum of Islamic Arts and Waqif Souks) we wanted to visited were both about 1km away, both walking distance.

The bad:
- Unfortunately our first impression of the hotel was not good. The road in front of the hotel is very small and parts like gravel. What really ruined the check in experience for me is that we were behind a man that was smoking freely while checking in. I have never been to a hotel that allows smoking at the reception counter or main lobby. Even if he was not smoking there, you cannot avoid the smoke in the lobby because the restaurant/cafe is on the next level and is open and overlooks the lobby. So each time we had to come in or leave the hotel, we were surrounded by the smell of smoke. Not a problem for smoking business men, but definitely not an environment for families with little ones. I tried to sit as far away as possible with my son while my husband checked us in. We made sure to ask for a non-smoking room. We were astounded to find an ash tray on the coffee table in our room. Luckily, it didn't smell like anyone ever smoked there. Cannot understand why there is an ash tray in a non-smoking room.
- We didn't have a rental car so we relied on taxis to get around. Most of the time, we had to walk down the street to get to the main road to hail a taxi.

We had an overall good experience, but the smell of smoke in the lobby is enough to keep me from coming back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Dear Valuable guest,

Thank you for taking your time by sharing with us your experience. I am glad that you liked our spacious rooms.

I fully agree with you regarding the hotel's entrance. There are lots of cars parking left and right near it, we just requested from the municipality to block these lots in order to have a better first impression like you mentioned.

As for the smoke smell, we are going soon to close the upper area in order to avoid such a smell coming to the lobby from the bar.

I am sure that on your next visit you will not encounter the same drawbacks and will have a better experience.

looknig forward to welcome you again, till then

I remain

Sincerely yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I went to Doha on a short business trip in October 2010. My travel team booked me into Swiss Bell and it started from there.
The marvelous experience started from Airport since a representative from hotel came to receive me. This guy was smartly dressed and can be a competition to any business professional. He was holding the placard with my name written on it. It was not just a piece of paper but more so it was a aluminium frame with glass and printed paper inside it. It was by any rate was best amongst the placard giving competion to Hyatt.
The guy spoke fluent english/ Hindi/ Urdu/Arabic / Bangla with equal ease. The car was Pajero and was really a comfort ride for next 12 minutes to hotel.

The hotel is located in somewhere middle of the city so you will not find lavish porch and parking. infact the entry into hotel would appear like a entering into a small retail store. Once into the hotel you will find a small loby with most of the area taken up by Reception desk.

The reception will treat you with wide smile and trust me you will not be able to make out whether it is original by sheer push of their job profile or inherent to their family traditions. Net net would be average experience over the reception desk with welcome drink which would be an orange/ sweet lime juice. You will be handed over your card key and directed towards your room in just 3-5 minutes since the team at hotel understands that you need some time to relax.

Open the room door and you will be surprised to see the size of the room since you need to walk atleast 12-15 feet to reach king size bed. In my travel experience for last 3-4 years, I have never witnessed such a huge room till date.

The buttler will sign off after arranging your stuff and he will not show any signs for TIP which will make you think to give some.

The washroom is equally good with sizeable space and cleaniness. You will find the most modern amenities installed in this small area.

The hotel also posses a well equipped Gym, SPA, steam bath, Sona Bath area all inclusive in your room price. Really really amazing.

The food served at breakfast is amazing with cusines across world to cater different cultures and taste buds.

The room is equipped with internet connectivity which is wired and that is a pain point since most of business travlers carry ipads etc needs Wi-fi. The provision for Wi-fi is in Lobby area which is not the best place to sit in hotel.

On a personal note, I would highly recomment this hotel sheer on its service, clealiness, ambience and amenities.

Post my travel in October, whenever I visit Doha I make sure to stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask them to give you room on 4th or baove floor since this will give a city view and no noice of tra...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Dear Valuable guest,

it with great pleasure to see that you had a wonderful stay at Swiss belhotel Doha a year ago and you still remember your experience!

Please note that we did not stop enhancing the services; all our rooms and public areas are now wireless free. Never the less, we added new menus in Maxill restaurant and opened a cozy bar lounge in the Mezannine floor.

We will be opening soon a sushi and tepanyaki Japanese restaurant "Yuzu"up in the roof top along with a big lounge pub with live entertainment!

I hope to welcome you again

Till then I remain

Sincerely yours
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

The service at the hotel was outstanding - from check-in to check-out. Perhaps it was because we were there during the slowest time (summer) so I think that made the service much more personal. Despite the fact our flight arrival time was delayed from 12am unitl 2am we still found our hotel transport waiting there for us. Nice clean car and the drive was at a pleasant speed, Close proximately to airport (only 5min).

The staff were friendly and helpful - several times we requested additional water because we were fasting and they prompty responded.

Internet was fast, free and reliable.

No alcoholic beverages inside the room, but certainly during Ramadan more water needs to be available in the room.

Spacious bathroom with not only a bath but 2 showers, Bidet was a bonus - a contraption that I learnt to enjoy to use.

Food presentation (room service) was simple but elegant, However, we only recieved the arranged sahoor on the first night and then it was not brought the following nights even though we had organised it at check-in.

The size of the room was generous and spacious with a good view although the windows needed to be cleaned. We noticed a connecting door to another room which would be great for a large family - but the noise from the other room was too loud, not only hearing the Television but someone snoring!

Good location with a mosque near by. Close proximity to the Islamic Museum and Fanaar Islamic Centre as well as the famous soq and corniniche.

The hotel smell was very pleasant, Arabian ouud - no lingering cigarette smells that we had become accustom to in other hotels

Traditional majlis in the reception area, professional gym and swimming pool - opening hours could be modified -10am being a late start.

Overall a pleasant expereince and we would return to the Swiss-Belhotel in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
Dear Valuable guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time and share with us your experience.

I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay.

On the other hand, allow me to apologize for the inconvenience occured by not delivering your daily souhour to your room at the requested time as expected.

I hope to welcome you again on your next visit

I remain

Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Overall good value and huge rooms. A little noisy but it is in the middle of a city. If you appreciate space you wont go wrong here. Downside - limited FnB for a 4*.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Valuable Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us,

Please note that we are enhancing all our menus and we are about to open soon a Japanese Restaurant and a lounge bar.

I hope the new varieties and the new outlets will satisfy your needs on your next visit.

till then, I remain

Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We came to Doha, not knowing what to expect, but our stay in Swiss bel Hotel simplified it all, the friendliness and service of the staff were outstanding!
Very clean, comfortable hotel, very well centered as well! Near the corniche and close to the city :)
Keep it up!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear Mrs. Chamassico,

Allow me to say that I was very delighted when I read your feedback. The team and I would like to thank you for your nice words, it brings us a joy to see that our services have met your expectations.

I hope to welcome you again

Lebanon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

It was a great experience with a very nice welcoming, friendly staff, clean room , nice and adequate gym. Being on business trip , i felt very safe and will surely come back ..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking your time by sharing your experience at Swiss-BelHotel Doha.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and and felt secure. The most important as a business women when traveling to have a home a like feeling.

Rest assure that you will always feel Swiss-BelHotel Doha as your home away from home.

My team and I hope to welcome you again on your next trip to Doha.

Till Then I remain,

Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I was expecting at least a 4-star quality (they served alcohol) but was dissapointed. The staff were friendly enough but no one stood out. Smiles were few and far between, except perhaps for Layla at the reception and Nia at the restaurant. They always had a sunny atmosphere about them, which was the saving grace for the property in my view.

The room was big but there wasn't enough lighting. I checked in at 6:00 and the curtains were drawn and when the lights went on, I felt like I was in medieval castle. Just wasn't cheery enough for my taste, in fact it was gloomy. Wanted to take a cold shower (it was after all pushing 100 degrees outside) and viola, there was ONLY hot water even if I had the tap at cold full on! Not very refreshing after being out in the heat for the whole day. Kinda like taking a cold shower in Ottawa during winter! In and out, that's it!

There's only one restaurant and the choices were limited and the food was average at best. Stay away from the burger and stick to the Arabic dishes which are ok enough. The Indian ones looked good but never did get to try it. Stick to tea, the coffee is highly acidic and leaves a sour after taste.

They did have free internet though all over the place but it slows down really bad when your floor is full.

Location was convenient enough, but considering the lack of public transporation in Doha, it wasn't much of an advantage anyway.

I'm rating my experience as average, albeit grudgingly.

Room Tip: Big room but gloomy atmosphere, funny smell too
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
GMSBDH, General Manager at Swiss-Belhotel Doha, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Valuable guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for sharing your experience with us.

We are sorry you did not like the lighting of our rooms, note that we can provide extra lighting in the room once our guest does not like the cozy atmosphere. Note that most of our guests love our spacious rooms. I kindly ask you for your next visit to inform us previously that you need additional lighting in your room and we will fulfill your need swiftly.

I apologize for the inconvenience occured regarding the hot/cold water. Note that this issue will be fixed within a week. this issue is one of our atmost priority for the time being.

Please note that all our menus will be changed starting first of September, we have added new and exciting dishes to our "à la carte" and room service menu. Our exsisting "wagyu Burger" is one of our top seller item. Would you please send me an email to share your experience so we can understand your feedback better.

We have recently changed the coffee beans from pure dark beans to dark and brown ones. I hope in your next stay you will enjoy it more.

The last but not the least, we usually have a high speed wireless internet in all our rooms and outlets. We might have encounter a small technical problem and it happened during your stay, rest assure that this issue was a very short temporary one and it is solved long time back.

Allow me to thank you again and hoping to welcome you back on your next visit to Doha.

Till then I remain,

Sincerely yours,

Been to Swiss-Belhotel Doha? Share your experiences!