“What a disappointment!” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
brighton Uk
“What a disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Arriving at 1.00am,tired and exhausted after a long flight,I was shown courteously to my 'marvelous'room on the tenth floor. It appeared to be enormous and like a set from a 1960 Bond movie! No instructions how the lighting worked, a giant tv screen in the bedroom was not working and I needed to catch up with world news. No instructions by the telephone,ie reception housekereper etc.By trial and error an engineer arrived, could not fix it and I suggested he returned in the morning. I could not sleep as he had left the set making loud bleeping sounds.Once more I tried to telephone and again did not get through. I dressed, took my key and found a telephone in the corridor.On returning to my room,the key did not work! and I found myself in the reception area at 4.00am in the morning.asking for a working key.
After waking early and finding the means to open the automatic(?) curtains which enveloped the circular bedroom...not a view of the sea!! but building sites all round! I had responded to the W emails a few days earlier asking for my wishes " a good nights sleep, an early morning swim and a light breakfast thank you". The pool was closed for repairs!! (for some days???) and it was built in the shadow of the high rise buildings around it. The numerous dark suited staff ,only distinguishable from guests by a W on their lapel....but no name and status offered a comlimentary breakfast(already included in my tariff!)....and finally arranged transport to the Sheridan a few minutes away where I enjoyed the relaxation,good swimming in the beautiful pool and sea and a partial recovery from the series of disasters! Checking out their were additions to my account. Breakfast,..had to be removed!! Phone calls also removed and a chocolate bar! I do not eat chocolate!! Considered these extras were maybe a 'try on' as most of the guests were checking out on business accounts but I was not alone on finding discrepencies on the bill. Chaotic management trying to do their best..

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
WDohaManager, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Well Hello There Sidonie

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and comments.

From the descriptions, I can certainly understand your frustrations and the reasons why we did not meet your expectations. I'm truly sorry that after a long flight you found such difficulties to relax upon arrival in your room due to lack of instructions and the challenges with your TV. The talent who accompanied you should have navigated you through our room facilities which should all be perfectly working and it’s unacceptable that this defect was not immediately rectified. I would like to particularly and sincerely apologize for a less than pleasant night of sleep as well as the embarrassing and awkward situation of finding yourself locked out of your room at 4am. This has been severely addressed and actions taken to avoid it to happen again.

Technical and maintenance problems do happen over time and we honestly try our best to remedy the issues as soon as possible. It’s unfortunate that we had our Wet area closed at the time. I’m glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the alternative solution at our sister property however regret to hear that you encountered some billing discrepancies afterwards. I can fully relate to your frustration however I can guarantee that this was another unfortunate confusion rather than a “try on”. I’m truly sorry if that was the impression given.

We take our guest feedback seriously and I can assure you that we are looking into the issues you kindly brought to our attention below. I can guarantee that your experience was not a reflection of the levels of service we pride ourselves of and I hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity in the future to Wow you with our Whatever Whenever promise. I’m absolutely positive you will not be disappointed.

Thank you again for voicing your concerns as feedback that bring such issues to our attention allow us to better make changes that ultimately help exceed guest expectations.

Please contact us directly if you want to discuss your experience any further.

The W Doha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

Stayed in the hotel for three nights on business. Five stars hotel. Trendy. Great room. Spacious. I had the spectacular room. Bathroom is amazing. The tub and the shower. Lovely touches by house keeping each time you walk in the room.

Location is ok. 5 minutes walk to a shopping center. Other than that nothing is around. Just buildings. Nothing much in Doha anyway. But they do have a lovely sea in Doha.

Room service was good. And the setup at the lobby, although not very spacious, was good.

When you first time enter the hotel lobby you will get the feeling you get when you enter a night club! Even cleaning staff is dressed up in a cool fashionable outfit.

Swimming pool was under repair.

Having seen any families with kids at the hotel.

Went to the night club at M level. Was crowded with good atmosphere . Most of the people at the club were from outside the hotel and they appeared to be regulars. Dress up nicely if you planning to go. The dudes at the club entrance were a bit on the not welcoming side. I think because we were two single bachelors and they probably forgot that they are working in a hotel.
Smoking is allowed almost every where at the hotel. Pets are allowed too. I didn't notice any smell or hair though.

• Stayed November 2010
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

Traveling in the Middle East ....spent the night at W.....great room.......very trendy.......this place is a winner....great restaurant.....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

My days at W Doha Like he told me its all about love and how told me this he is Mohamed and he work in W , This is for all to know abut my experience at W Doha it was really amazing stay in this lovely hotel I spend must of my life in hotels around the world and I can say that W Doha so nice hotel to stay in, new modern life new since of hospitality with the Wooster Mohamed the Wooster is the Butler service in W hotels and it was so nice to meet the first Wooster in W hotels how really treat me all the time as professional and he is really this man he love his profession love to help, he told me that he is really looking all the time to exceed his guest expectations and you can really feel this from him all the time and I can tell him now” well done Mohamed.
And why a I say amazing stay in W Doha it’s because of him when he find that I am coming to Doha for charity to the children in Congo and I know that I was not ready for this he really helps me a lot, organization, meeting preparation and more than I was expected from any one in my life not only hotel, so I mad a painting for W Doha and I call it W Doha colors of the World because they have in the hotel many nationality from all over the world, and now I will med soon for him a song for the Wooster and you will find it soon in my channel on YouTube and I will send it to you Mohamed.

Micoo
The voce of the voice of children’s in the world

Wooster life Wooster Love

Words of love wondering in my world
While spending my night at W hotel
Wind was blowing in the air, within joy in my soul
Who is the Wooster who brought the light in my night!
Wish Wooster who soothe my Holiday in Doha
Blazing in the sky, every dream I hade he made it possible
Whatever place you go, whatever road you take
Remember that the best Wooster in the world is in W Hotel in Doha
Mr. Mohammed Kassem he shine like the sun of Qatar
He moves within simplicity and professionally he is the best.

I dedicate this song to the best Wooster in the world
Soon you will have this song recorded with French musicians from Paris
Miss you Mohamed and if I will come back to Doha I Will come to meet you.

For my friend JPW 2010W Doha.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Booked this hotel as it seemed from the trip advisor reviews to be the place to stay in Doha. When checking in the guy at the reception spent about 5 minutes looking through my passport for some reason . The hotel is as described by various other reviews and its location is close to the shopping centre.
When I was finally checked in the chap at reception happilly told be about the breakfast which he cheerfully explained was "WIP beakfast " there term for VIP breakfast . I was told where it was as was really looking forward to my WIP breakfast. Next morning it turned out to be in what probably doubled up as small bar ion the evening and maining constisted of bread rools, nothing hot. The hard boiled eggs were runny and the waiters had to be asked for me to get a coffee.

The room was large and of a good standard . Upon leaving it wasmy intention to get a taxi . I had no sooner checked out when I was hijacked by one of the staff who aggressively asked if I wanted a limosine . I explained I wanted a taxi to be asked if a mercades was ok. My further cries that a normal taxi were igored and before I could blink my luggage was being loaded into what I imagine to be the hotels limosine.On the way to airport the driver asked me on 3 occasions whether he should drop me off at the first class drop off. On 3 occasions I had to tell him no I was travelling economy.
This is a first rate hotel for business travel but I would reccommend for anyone not on business.

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
WDoha, Manager at W Doha Hotel & Residences, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Well hello there Paul,

W-oops! Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your recent experience, I was also disappointed to hear that we did not deliver on your expectations.

In regards to the points you addressed, the reason our Welcome Desk Agent required your passport is that per the local laws, we are required to take a scan of your passport and entry stamp...unfortunately with some of our well travelled guests, it can be a little difficult trying to locate the entry stamp! However this should have been explained by our talent.

I have passed your comments on to our chef regarding our WIP Lounge, so expect to see an improvement on the breakfast items.

My apologies for the confusion with your request for a taxi, the hotel does operate a third party car service, as do all the Five Star hotels, the reason for this is the reliability of the service, often our guests requests for a taxi can be difficult to deliver on as the taxi's will often no show. That said, this should have been explained clearly and at the end of the day, our talent will often run to City Centre to retrieve a taxi for our guests. I have spoken to the talent and I can assure you that this issue has been addressed.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback, as it is only with this sort of feedback from our guests that enables us to improve and really deliver on our "Whatever Whenever" service commitment.

I would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter in person, should you wish to do so, please just let me know a convenient time that I can contact you.

St. Paul's Bay, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

This is our second extended stay with this hotel and as expected it has been above par. The hotel is very beautiful and chic in its own right but the small things really add to your stay.

The location is good as its about a 10 minute walk to the City Center Mall that also has a large grocery store inside and about a 30 minute walk to the start of the seawall.

The one-bedroom Witty makes for a great ‘home’.

First of all, let me praise them for their beds. Anyone who has traveled anywhere in the Middle East knows how BAD the beds always are, like sleeping on a slab of stone…. Not at the W. The beds are fantastic! (Thank you). The room is also equipped with a TV and DVD player, reading lights, a nice closet area (although a little small for two if you are staying more than a couple of weeks), and beautiful blue lighting that runs along the floor if you desire this neat lighting affect.

The windows in both rooms are great (for me). They are floor to ceiling and offer a nice sheer drape as well as a heavy curtain for maximum privacy.
The living room has a very comfortable couch, offers a DVD player and ipod dock. There is also an adjacent dining area (room for 4) with a pass thru to the kitchen. The lighting is nice and versatile; capable of pleasing all eyes.

The kitchen is sleek and comes with all the dishes, pots and glassware and small appliances you would need for a short stay. There is a microwave and a small fridge (but no freezer- con) The sink is a little small but you get a dishwasher! I will complain here about the stovetop: with all the counter space available, sadly you only get, an awkwardly positioned, 2 hob stovetop. This makes cooking a more difficult than it should be.

The bathroom is glorious! It is large and spacious with a nice vanity with extra storage in the mirror and in shelving above the toilet, a really great soaking tub (with plenty of room on the edge for a glass of wine and some candles), a large stand up shower with a rain shower head and extra detachable wand, a huge full length mirror and two lovely robes and a daily supply of really nice toiletries. This room is also blessed with really great, versatile lighting. (The first room we ever stayed was completely lined with travertine tiles, this last room only had some surfaces coated in travertine, and the rest were white subway tiles. It still looked nice but wasn’t nearly as rich as the travertine)

As an added bonus is a small closet sized room with a washing machine, iron and board. What was lacking was a drying rack, I survived and I’m sure if I had called one would have been provided.

The W also has many amenities:
There are two popular clubs and 3 dining outlets, a full spa and a very small gym. The swimming pool is very nice with its black tiles, waterfalls and an elevated lap pool. Besides just the standard issued lounge chairs there are also a handful of nicely appointed cabanas. Oh, did I mention the poolside bar?! ☺

The Cons – nobody is perfect:

*Cable TV – The channel selections is poor and the system is… odd.
*Light switches – The light switched are complicated and confusing
*Lifts – If you are staying in the residence section of the hotel (floors 14-28 I believe) there are only two elevators that can take you there. This causes some long wait times in the hallways.
*No Freezer – maybe most people don’t cook as much as I do but a freezer would have been very helpful during our ‘extended’ stay.
*Stovetop – too small and is turned vertically instead of horizontally which would make it much more user friendly.
*Gym – for such a great hotel the gym is lacking. The equipment is nice but the entire space is about a third of the size of our room – pity
*Location – because the W is new and in the up and coming West Bay area you are surrounded by construction. Some weeks are better than others but you can almost always hear (and see) the faint sound of a developing area.

All in all one of my favorites to stay – really nice place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Well hello there Jakulin,

WOW! Thanks for the recent review, we were so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us again. I love the Witty rooms, they are a great space with so much light, they make a great place to just chill.

In regards to the points you raised, we are currently reviewing our channel line up to see if we can add some more channels. We are also in the process of re-programming the lifts, to ensure they run a little "smarter".

Let us know when you'll be staying with us again, as we can organsie a freezer for you, however please make sure you call us, as we'd love to try some of your cooking!

Thanks again for the review, we certainly appreciate the time taken and we can't wait to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

This hotel rocks!!! You feel how hip and trendy it is from the moment you set foot in the lobby. Service throughout the hotel is fantastic, very friendly and with a positive, can-do attitude. Awesome cocktails in both Waham and Spice Market, too. Had dinner in Spice Market, really great. The hotel location is very convenient, especially being so close to the Doha City Center. All-in-all, a definite must-stay for first-timers, and a definite must-return for those who've enjoyed the W Doha experience before!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Well hello there,

WOW, what can we say but we Wuv your review!

We're so pleased you had a great experience with us and we can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

Wock on!

The W Doha

Been to W Doha Hotel & Residences? Share your experiences!