“Terrible!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 74 Hotels in Muscat Governorate
london
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I stayed in this hotel for two nights and it was one of the worst hotels I have every been to. The hotel was terrible, the room stunck, the toilet was dirty (toilet seat had all sorts of unremovable stains in it), the toilet flush hardly worked and the shower hardly worked. Besides, they have a night club everyday from 9pm to 3am and the noise is so high that I can hear it from the sixth floor. The staff were not that friendly as well. If you want your stay in Muscat to be a nightmare then stay at this hotel, otherwise avoid it!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sharjah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times over the last 2 years the most recent january 2009.
The new hotel in the front is great but the old one is just as good.
The staff are frienly and even remembered me from my previous stay with them.
Location is good and its easy to get about to and from the hotel.
I will definatly stay there again on my next trip to Muscat!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

This hotel was extremely good value for Muscat through Booking. com (OMR 30 per room per night). Most previous reviews are misleading because they refer to the old building. Our room in the new building was spacious and comfortably furnished. Location is not very central, but it is easy to get a public bus or private minibus (fare inexpensive) from just outside the hotel to Ruwi bus station for the centre of town and connections to elsewhere. Breakfast was basic but acceptable for the price we paid.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Tunis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

A very good surprise, it was completely renewed and so different from what we expect. We move from Holiday inn because of nose, price and place (industrial zone) but we was afraid from what we read as other travelers review in Trip Adviser about Golden Oasis. The rooms was renewed, very clean and quite, spacious and the hotel was in a very good place, close to the Muscat city center. The breakfast was very basic but with 70 Euro it's a good ratio quality/price. Totally we was there 3 nights, we regret to not reserve for all 5 nights.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dubai
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed at this Hotel for a weekend. It is old and tired but the room was very clean and the staff are friendly and courteous. The thing that totally killed it for me was the nightclub on the ground floor that pounded away each night until 3am, not to mention the 'boy racers' roaring up and down squealing their brakes outside. I was on the 5th Floor and it was still way too noisy for me.
When the nightclub finally closed there was then a terrible racket as 'people' - who I am not convinced were actually paying guests came to the rooms, slamming doors, yelling, screaching, laughing etc the hallway floors are tiled and very echoey and the walls are paper thin. The food was also very very average and the only 'Restaurant' that seemed to be open was a very grotty smokey bar and I felt a bit stranded as it is not walking distance to anywhere and each time I tried to get a Taxi there were none to be found outside and when I asked reception to get me one I always ended up with their 'in house' driver which felt like a bit of a scam. I wouldn't stay here again unless I was totally desperate.

Stayed March 2008
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

Beds were uncomfortably hard, service was terrible, and there was no running water for 3 full days. Food was pretty good but didn't make up for not being able to shower, and not being provided with towels even when the water eventually dribbled back on.

Also surrounded by construction sites so very noisy.

• Liked — Good Indian Food
  • Disliked — No water
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

Ok yes this was the cheapest option for Muscat but still it cost about $80 US Plus before the 17% tax charge and so I would expect something better than what I had.
I had booked the hotel for myself and daughter but had to ask for more than one towel and hand towel. We did not get two beds but had to share the king sized bed with the stiffest mattress I have ever slept on.
The aircondition was very loud and you would have to put the TV up load to hear it over the noise of the airconditioning.
Although the rate included breakfast there was not a breakfast made up for anyone when Ramadan was on. You could get one but you had to order which was not really an issue unless you were on a tight schedule. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms.
They also do not tell you that you have to put on the switch so that you will have hot water for your shower. That certainly should be addressed.
Probably the most annoying thing is that only on one occasion did we get the room made up even though we had a sign on the door requesting the room to be made up.
One other suggestion would be that you should make sure that you have two copies of your payment for the hotel. I was told that I had to pay some 80 Oman Rials when I was checking out. I asked them to show me what I had spent and that came to 22 Rials, there were all sorts of suggestions as to why I should pay the extra such as " we had a bathroom", perhaps it was for another bed for my daughter etc etc but after getting somewhat annoyed with all this and after over half an hour of negotiation and showing the copy saying the room was for two people I paid what the signed stubs came to and that was the 22 Rials.
On the plus side I have to say that I did enjoy the food at the hotel as I ordered in most days. It was either Arabic food or Indian food and very reasonably priced and very tasty. The service attendants were very helpful too.
The hotel is clean if spartan, it is in an out of the way area and there are no shops around. There is an internet area available but not until after 4PM - it is however very cheap.
Would I stay there again......no I would not. I would pay the extra for some sort of service and comfort.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — no value for money
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Golden Oasis Hotel? Share your experiences!