“Curious changes...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Oman Dive Center Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Muscat Governorate
Oman Dive Center Resort
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   P.O. Box 199 | Postal Code 115, Medinat Sultan Qaboos, Oman   |
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Curious changes...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

As usual, I went for another short trip to relax and dive in Oman Dive Center.
By so many visits in the last couple of years, I always found an oasis of relaxion, good food and nice diving. To be honest, this time ( 8 visits since 2007) I was that disappointed and felt treated that bad, so I decided to criticise, as the (new!) hotel manager rudely dismissed my complaints on site.
Normally, I am always quite patient and by the good memories of the last visits I first wanted to talk to the manager. I told him about the desolate kitchen and unpolite service and last but not least about the unsatisfying situation, that for one week they were not able to run any reasonable diving operation. I always found good service and nice food for a reasonable price and normally as well some smiling staff and helping hands. Those days, not even the manager -as the final authority- was willing to help, but just rudely telling me that there has been structural changes in the last month, as for him they were necessary?!
I NEVER seen such an unpolite and unqualified reaction to answer the complaint of a repeating guest and its making me even more angry as I just wanted to help...!
According to the staff and some other repeaters, it seems to be the new way of handling staff and guests of the new management...curious changes and if this is "necessary" to change all into bad by beeing obviously totally overwhelmed with themselves, I don't think that its necessary to go there again as long as they don't know anymore how to run a simple hotel and diving operation...!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

145 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We visited the ODC a few weeks ago, in brief, the location is quite stunning but the restaurant and the cleanliness of the beach let this place down. The standard of food is poor and over priced. I ordered the fish and chips, which I sent back as the it was raw in the middle. The beach was covered in cigarette ends and there was some litter too. Not nice if you are taking young children who play in the sand, like we did.
It is probably worth a visit if you dive/snorkle but perhaps eat somewhere else first.

Room Tip: Eat before you go...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My partner's parents shouted us all a night out at the Oman Dive Centre, so I can't really comment on cost. The location was lovely and the huts quite nice. When we arrived (a couple of hours before checkin), we were told one room was ready but the other wasn't...though they would let us know as soon as it was. My partner's parents took the room that was ready whilst my partner and I awaited our room, using his parents' in the mean time. When checkout time for existing guests came and went, our room (which was next door) was still occupied, with no indication of being vacated any time soon. After another half an hour or so, one of the cleaners knocked on the door but the people using the room had gone off swimming. A while later he came back again but still they were out. By this stage my partner and I had gone swimming ourselves and hoped that when we returned, our room would be ready (post checkin time of 2pm). This was not the case. We asked again at reception and though the receptionist apologised and said they would drop the key at my partner's parents' hut, this did not happen despite the hut having been cleaned and being ready. A few hours after 2pm we finally got the key to our room...but the thing none of us could understand was that the night we were staying there, many of the huts were empty! We're not sure why they just didn't give us another hut??

That, and my partner and I not really being the type to hang out by the pool / beach, aside, we enjoyed our time there. Despite alcohol being essentially forbidden in Oman, there was a beach bar with comfy couches and beanbags to sit in to watch the world go by. The restaurant on the decking had equally nice views and the meal I had for lunch (camel burger) was lovely. Our evening meal was a buffet for 'Omani Night' which was mostly good - certainly filling!

I must say the swimming was lovely and though we didn't go diving or anything, many fish could be seen just from swimming or walking up the jetty and we even spotted a stingray. Though I doubt I would go again (largely as I cant see myself being in Oman again in the near future), it was a nice experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

In the past I have enjoyed taking friends out to the Dive Center for lunch as the ambience is quite different from anywhere else in Muscat. It is a few miles away from the hustle and bustle of Muscat city, and sits in a little bay surrounded by pastel colored mountains. The view and ambience are special, but that's where it stops. One can overlook little faults if the overall experience is good, but to be honest, I have experienced I huge drop in quality of service, food and overall customer service, which has lead me to decide this place is now off my list of places to visit. Firstly, the waiter service at the restaurant is slow and uninterested in the customers. Secondly, many of the dishes advertised on the menu are actually not offered, and the ones that are, are presented badly and taste even worse! Thirdly, after your meal you are told to take your entry tickets to the reception desk for stamping to verify that you ate there, but when the three of us did this, we were told by a very rude and unpleasant manageress that we were now being charged OR4. per person for driving our car into the complex and using the parking lot. No, I did not say, OR4 per car, but OR4 per person IN THE CAR! We explained we had only come to enjoy lunch and had paid a hefty food bill at the restaurant, but she couldn't have cared less. She firmly reiterated that if people drive into the complex, they must pay this fee even if they are eating in the restaurant, and even if they are not using the beach for the day. So, to sum it all up, this place is a rip-off and extremely customer unfriendly, and not worth the location.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

It was not perfect, but we would go again.
It would have been exactly what we expected if only the sea water didn't have 'stuff' in it.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the cluster of bungalows and found it nice and private.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I went there with no expectations but was completely blown away when I arrived! The beach huts were fantastic!! I loved it. Such a different experience to the usual 5 star hotel... It was such a different experience and I really enjoyed it. Beach huts are so cute, with sand on your doorstep! It's so relaxing, I really recommend this place!

The food is great, a different choice every night (buffet).

Cool outdoor bathroom as well. The only thing I would suggest they change is the Air con... it is a bit loud. If you go in the months of Dec Jan, you don't even need it.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room that is on the front of the beach, rather than the back, better views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Utrecht
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Oman Dive Center was our most 'honeymoonish' destination during our Oman trip and it definitely lived up to our expectations.

It's a great place to just relax, enjoy the food and the beach. It's a very European place though, a spot to get away from Oman culture for a bit, rather than explore it.

The restaurant gets quite busy during lunch and they didn't have much of what was on the menu. The breakfast and dinner buffets were very good.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oman Dive Center Resort? Share your experiences!