TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hamra Street | Hamra, Beirut, Lebanon   |
Ranked #44 of 115 Hotels in Beirut
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Five Stars are not Enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

Five Stars are not Enough! I had an amazing stay I had at this hotel. It truly EXCEEDED my expectations and I will recommend anyone coming to Beirut to stay here. The price for the hotel was so reasonable, that I was afraid it might be too good to be true. But it wasn’t. The hotel staff were always friendly and attentive. I really got the impression that they wanted to help me and give me any information that I needed. The rooms were clean (I believe the maid service is on site until 8pm). I even asked to see all of the different room sizes/options and I found all of them to be well laid out and comfortable.
The Hamra location was perfect for those who wish to do shopping, eat out and enjoy an urban environment. I was able to enjoy both high end cuisine at some of the nearby restaurants as well as found some budget food options steps from the hotel. The hotel has a café in the ground floor (Lina’s) which I enjoyed a few times, but later started walking down the street to get my morning espresso and man'oushe. There is a grocery store less than a block from the hotel and there are fresh fruit vendors around the corner.
In less than a five minute walk from the hotel I was able to see the Mediterranean and the Roache Rocks and stroll along the Corniche. I even enjoyed a longer walk to the downtown (centreville) area. Although many of the locals might tell you otherwise, I had no problem catching a shared taxi (serveez) and driving to the other side of the city (Gemayzee/Monot) for less then 2$. Or the hotel can arrange for private taxis at your request.
I read some of the negative points in other reviews about this hotel, but I find that their complaints were not the fault of the hotel. For example the Internet in Beirut in general is slow; it is a city wide problem and not specific to the hotel or power cuts generally happen in all of Beirut but the hotel has a generator which kicked on almost instantaneously.
Negatives: The view is not stellar. The hotel is situated in an urban environment, so from the room you can see rooftops of other houses, the street, or an apt building across the street. I could not hear the noise of the city with the windows closed.
I would recommend an electric kettle for guests to be able to make coffee/tea and a safe (lockbox)in the room.
This was my first trip to Beirut. I work as an architect in hotel redevelopment in the region and went to take a holiday for a week. I will definitely return and will definitely stay at the Plaza Hotel again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Pakistan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

My wife and kids stayed for 5 nights at the PLaza Hotel. For starters it can not be called a 4 star hotel from any way!
Lets start with the pros: The hotel is well located in the heart of Hamra and is quite close to the Crown PLaza hotel. There are lots of shops and a supermarket on walking distance. Taxis are available at the entrance of the hotel. The staff is extremely polite and helpful and will guide you on how to spend your time in Beirut. The bell boys always come forward to help with the strollers. The rooms are ok, not to big.

The cons: The first night we discovered a dead cockroach on our bed. After our complain the reception made sure that the room was adeqautely cleaned everyday. The bathroom needs some renovation with the showers leaking and other issues. At any time suddenly the hot water would turn into very cold or vice cersa. The elevator is next to the reception but has a short flight of steps which made it very inconvenient for us as we had to lift the stroller up and down everytime we went out. (see picture). The hotel lobby is shabby, needs maintenance. There is no breakfast included in the deal, and there are only 2 restaurants in the hotel. Another one is opening shortly.

If you are on a tight budget and want to live in the heart of Hamra, this hotel is ok, otherwise try Mayflower or some other place. Certainly not 4 star, i would say 3 stars to the max. there is no pool and no view from the hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Got a good deal from Octopus travel.com
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dubai
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Hotel Plaza is in the heart of Hamra meaning you can walk to downtown, walk to the corniche and enjoy the local restaurants with ease, but it's not a hotel you want to spend a lot of time in. It's ok, it's clean-ish and the beds are comfortable, polite staff etc... but the prevailing smell of stale smoke, pokey bathrooms (my husband and I had to take turns to get in there!) and terrible breakfast offering means I would not recommend it for anyone with high standards/expectations. It's quite cheap tho - so a good option if you are on a budget.
Just be careful not to pay too much for taxis - the hotel transfer is over-priced and the cars they offer are the worst - so dirty and one was even held together with sellotape - you can get the transfer for $15 (hotel made us pay $25), just negotiate before you get in - always agree a price up front.
If you stay in Hamra visit Cafe Hamra, which has a great garden out back and lovely food/drinks, and definitely go for the chocolate orange fondant at Le Rouge - the best we have ever tasted - we went back for more! Visit Bay Rock or Le Petit Cafe at Pigeon Rocks too and walk the corniche - and visit Byblos and Harrissa for the cable car. Beirut is both beautiful and grim - a photographers dream.
Just remember to take a mosquito blaster plug in - I got a lot of bites as we needed to sleep with the window open due to the stinky smokey aircon...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Antalya, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

I was in hotel 06.04 - 08.04.2011.this is for bussines travel. And i was needed taxsi for visit my partner agencies. Mr. Heysem (receptionist) is help me and rent for me private taxi whith driver for per day 110 $... And i make my trip and i pay 110$ and returned to hotel. After this i check taxsi rates for per day and i atrophy... 60-70$.....
Mr. Heysem and my ex driver is brother and it to cook up...

Room Tip: normal hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Bilal34, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Guests( who wrote this review and to the readers)
i would like to say thank you for the writer of this review because your review add the awareness of our front desk agent to explain to our visitors that there are 2 kinds of taxis: 1- Private taxi with a private company the hotel dealing with it.
2- Public Taxis.
the rate should be deferent between the 2 kinds because the private company should offer: Security, comfortability, clean cars, professional drivers and the responsibility on the company management.
the client was asking about the security more than the price and he asked the receptionist about trusted driver.
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I stayed at the hotel plaza during the 2nd week of September..I found the room clean, the staff very nice to me and helpful during my stay to direct me to close ATM and soem of the restaurants...the only minor issue I had was paying for internet access, and it was onbly a couple of dollars per hour... The was an internet cafe on Hamra street that was close by, too. I would stay there again if I have the chance to return. It was a bit noisy from traffic noises but those quiet down un the late evening. and I expect that in any city.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Minsk, Belarus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

the hotel is situated in a great location . has all the facilities for 4*hotel. I ve never seen such an increadible staff in my entire life-super proffessionals! whatever I asked to do or to fix was done immediately! the breakfast is really poor. but for this money"its best ever choice in Beirut. rooms are ok, I ve been to 5 stars in Beirut and I do prefer Plaza hotel/

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I was traveling with a couple friends in Jordan and Syria when we decided to add a Beirut stop to our itinerary. Expedia had a great deal for the Plaza--about $100/night per room--and we booked it immediately. I was a bit concerned afterwards when I pulled up the Trip Advisor reviews for the hotel, but the concerns were totally unfounded. From the welcoming people at the front desk to the incredible location (on the corner of Hamra Street, close to the waterfront, right next to the University, and surrounded by shops and restaurants) to the spacious rooms, we were extremely pleased.

I was traveling with a couple and when we requested a double bed, they were first offered a room with two twin beds but the front desk immediately changed it. The rooms were huge, had a safe, bathrooms had good water pressure...in short, no complaints at all. I'm really puzzled as to why people would suggest this is a two star property and not four stars.

I I had any complaints, it would be that there was a slight smoke smell in one of the nonsmoking rooms--but extremely faint (and I'm super-sensitive to cigarette smoke).

In short, this hotel is a find and a steal if you can get the same $100-115 rate, especially given the location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!