We chose the Habtoor after enjoying an outstanding stay at the neighbouring Metropolitan Palace in 2010. We had understood the Habtoor to occupy a level higher than the Metropolitan Palace, and were therefore greatly looking forward to our visit. Unfortunately there were numerous issues that we would not have expected to encounter in a hotel with the Habtoor’s reputation. We outlined the issues below in a letter to the Manager before we left, but so far have received no reply, which itself tells you a lot.
First, on our arrival we were placed in a small, dark room (722). From anywhere other than the desk the only view was of a grey dividing screen on the balcony. What was truly unbearable, though, was the traffic noise from the major roundabout that we overlooked. We moved room to a 'mountain view' room, which was certainly an improvement, but we were not warned that it overlooked a building site, also noisy.
Some unwelcome surprises regarding both rooms:
• Rooms do not provide a full-length mirror, clock, ironing board, ice bucket, or facilities to make tea or coffee. You can use room service of course, and ice and hot water were free.
• The minibar is not contained in a functioning fridge. We had expected such a facility to keep items fresh for our daughter, such as milk. The minibar prices were scandalous, even for a 5* hotel: does anyone really pay $US40 for a quarter bottle of warm champagne??!
• There is no wi-fi in the rooms. There is free but relatively slow wired connection, and costly faster options.
In addition we found:
• The showers in both rooms yielded only lukewarm water.
• The balconies and balcony furniture were covered in dirt and dust, and not cleaned during our stay (see photograph).
• Only once were dirty glasses and plates replaced.
the wake up call we requested for our early departure came 20 minutes late.
Other disappointments in respect of the hotel in general:
• Breakfast was adequate, but some foods were over-cooked or allowed to go stale. The breakfast room itself a very unappealing place: dark and claustrophobic, lacking in atmosphere. We would have liked the chance to take breakfast in the Metropolitan Palace, at least once, to enjoy the wonderful light-filled atrium and to have the chance to see the excellent staff there, who did much to make our last visit so enjoyable. However, we were told that we would have to pay for an additional breakfast to do so. This seems utterly ridiculous given that the hotels are twinned and the breakfast selection is identical.
• Sitting in the lobby one evening for almost an hour we were surprised to find full ashtrays at almost every table, and none were replaced during the time we spent there.
• The spa changing rooms are rather cramped, offering inadequate space to change.
On the upside, we should add that we enjoyed the spa facilities themselves, and most members of staff were professional and pleasant in their dealings with us. The complaints that we raised were dealt with immediately and satisfactorily. It is the sheer number of unsatisfactory issues that led to disappointment at what we hoped would be a special week. Staying in a hotel of this calibre ought to be a pleasure, and one should look forward to spending time in the building. Unfortunately this has not been the case, and we are unlikely to return to the Habtoor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of the Lebanese capital and located only 15 minutes away from Beirut International Airport, Hilton Beirut Habtoor Grand delivers a range of business and leisure facilities with an outstanding level of service. It offers stylish accommodation, personalized service and advanced facilities to guarantee a memorable stay. Hilton Hotels Beirut is the ideal base to explore the fascinating capital city of Lebanon. Visit attractions including the Mohammad Al-Amine Mosque and the National Museum, or stroll round the famous Beirut Souks. Enjoy a swim at nearby Mediterranean beaches or visit the ski slopes of Faraya, less than an hour away. Jeita Grotto and many historical sites are also within easy reach. Enjoy our free shuttle bus service which goes twice a day to Beirut City Center, Hamra steet and Zaytuna Bay in only ten minutes. A pedestrian bridge connects to Hilton Beirut Metropolitan Palace, allowing guests convenient access to both hotels. Our next-door mall hosts a variety of international shops with signature brands, cafés, restaurants and entertainment zones where guests can enjoy the finest shopping experience at only few steps from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Agoda, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your Hilton Beirut Habtoor Grand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.