TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kuwait
“Not the best Japanese place to go to in Beirut”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Rather disappointing experience for the 3rd time in a row... The location of the restaurant (inside the Holiday Inn hotel and the Dunes center) is very nice, and the atmosphere would be also very nice if it wasn't for the air conditioning issue. The place is rather hot and the AC tends to shut down often. The food was of course the major problem as, although the fish was fresh, the seasoning (basically mayonnaise) tended to overpower the rest of the ingredient and the verdict of the four persons that were present at that dinner was: "they all taste the same" (we had ordered 7-8 different types of Maki). The service was however efficient and performed in a timely manner. The restaurant has also a Chinese menu but we did not try any items. Maybe it would be better than the Japanese menu?

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Beirut, Lebanon
“One of the good sushi restaurants in Beirut”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great experience and atmosphere. Sushi is great, they have an excellent crab salad, and the variety is quiet good, they also have Chinese menu, prices are a bit on the high side, went to the one in Dunes Holiday Inn hotel, Verdun

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“Expectations Exceeded & the Food Was Fabulous Too”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I arrived in Beirut for my first-ever visit. It was a bit late at night (9:00pm) and I was hungry. I found this place by accident and what a happy accident. As I usually do, I'll place the concise bullets below with a further description below the jump.

-Fresh, tasty and well-prepared sushi/sashimi
-Timely service on a busy night with personal touches.
-Rescued me from a lost credit card
-Staff was positive and seemed to take pride in the food & setting.

I flew in to Beirut for a wedding but had built in a few days to "knock around" beforehand. I had gotten settled in my hotel and was poking around for some likely food before meeting friends out and about when I happened upon the Shogun Lounge. Through the glass door I saw a sushi bar and a busy, bustling restaurant at 9:00pm on a Friday night.

In I went!

I sat at the sushi bar. I ordered a sashimi assortment and a Sapporo beer. To my left, I could see a dining area with no empty tables. To my right, a constant stream of servers came and went with drink and food orders. Having placed my order, I settled in and expected a long wait as they were VERY busy and the three sushi chefs before me were in a constant, flurried state of motion.

A few minutes after my order was placed, I received a delicious dish of spiced salmon with seaweed and dried shrimp. "A small taste for you, on the house."

Thinking I was going to have to wait a bit for my main dish, I snacked away. No sooner had I scooped up the last bit of spicy salmon (which was fresh & VERY delicious) then a beautiful arrangement of sashimi was placed before me along with a fresh Sapporo. Tuna, salmon, Spanish mackerel, shrimp, octopus and a delicious fish I couldn't identify. The dividers and decorations were all artfully carved cucumber (the small, flavorful ones found over in the Middle East). Everything on my plate was cleverly (and tastily) edible.

The sashimi was delicious: firm, fresh and beautifully presented. If you're a sushi/sashimi lover, there needs be little more said than that.

While I ate, the manager carved out moments between sorting out bar bills and order changes to chat with me (I was sitting near his normal work area). The wait staff were all elegantly dressed in the Japanese style though they spoke Tagalog amongst themselves. To a one, the entire wait staff I encountered were smooth, responsive and seemed to be proud of their restaurant.

My meal was delicious and entertaining. As a solo diner, I came prepared. I had an excellent book with me but the charm of the staff and the obvious efficiency on a busy night kept me entertained beyond the distraction of the good food.

I would come back again. I would DEFINITELY bring friends.

Prologue: Later, when with friends at another venue, I went to my pocket for my credit card only to find it absent. A quick mental inventory led me to think I had either left it at the restaurant or lost it in my many intervening taxi exchanges.

The Shogun lounge was in the same building as my hotel and one floor up. I returned to my hotel at the end of my evening (well into the morning, really) and was greeted by the concierge handing me my credit card. Clearly someone had sent down to the hotel to see if I was there.

Losing a credit card as an expat is a horrible thing. I will be ever thankful to the staff of the Shogun Lounge for saving me from that.

Plus, the food was REALLY good!

• Visited November 2012