TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #8 of 113 hotels in Beirut
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Ritzy Glitzy Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Service at check in was ordinary for a 5 star hotel, however following a complaint we got upgraded to a suite. Stylish rooms, amazing food, great buffet and choice of restaurants in house. Wok Wok is a must to try for sushi. Very close to Al Hamra and Downtown Beirut.
Worth the splurge

Room Tip: All standard suites face rear of building. If you want sea views you need to upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Chadanagachoochoo,
Thank you for your recent stay at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut, and for your feedback. We are glad that the issue you encountered was corrected on the spot and your experience directly shifted into a better one.
We have shared your great feedback with our colleagues and with the team at Wok Wok. We are happy you liked the sushi since it is really one of the best.
We have noticed that most of the reviews for this month are mentioning Zaitunay Bay and we are glad that it opened since it gave a new spirit to the area.
Once again, thank you for your recommendation of Phoenicia Hotel Beirut, we highly appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best Regards,

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed at the InterContinental Phoenicia during February 2012, for a business trip. Usually I stay at the InterContinental Le Vendome hotel, which is around the corner, but it was closed for renovation. I was a bit dubious about this massive-looking hotel, but have been very pleasantly surprised.

Check-in was fast, though it took 45 minutes for my luggage to arrive at my room (I think they forgot because after I called to inquire, my suitcase came right away). Since I have an Ambassador card, I was told that I was upgraded to a sea view, 12th floor room with a king size bed. Initially I was a little concerned about noise, as the room was right in front of the elevators, but maybe my floor was not fully booked because noise wasn’t an issue. In theory, my floor was a non-smoking one but occasionally the smell of smoke would be in the air in my room, and I saw cigarette stubs in the ash trays in front of the elevators. I guess this is hard for the hotel to control though. The room was a nice size, with a work desk, loveseat, and small coffee table. There was also a small fruit platter and selection of Lebanese sweets. There was free WiFi in the room which worked very well. It was nice to have a kettle and choice of coffee and teas in the room. Every day free bottles of water were replenished. It would have been nice to have a balcony, but I think the rooms with balconies were in a part of the hotel that may not have been renovated as recently.

The bathroom was very nicely outfitted, with L’Occitane toiletries and nice fluffy robes and towels, but sort of awkwardly shaped, which I think was a result of being renovated and adding a separate bathtub and shower stall. The bathtub was nice but small, really only suitable for children than the typical adult. A corner of the bathroom held the toilet and bidet (really? does anyone use these things anymore???).

The clothes closet was near the entrance to the room, and pretty small, since it looked like part of it had been knocked out to enlarge the bathroom. There were plenty of hangers though, and several small clothing drawers. Although a wall support was present for an ironing board, it was vacant. However when I requested one, it was brought up right away.

Breakfast was included in our room rate and was an incredible deal, probably the most extensive breakfast buffet I’ve ever seen. If you thought of it, or even not, it was available for breakfast, in a nice dining room with a view of the sea. Everything tasted very fresh as well. Most days I didn’t need to eat lunch thanks to the breakfast buffet. There were several restaurants to choose from for dinner, including a coffee shop with patio seating, and an Asian restaurant. The lobby café served wonderful mint lemonade, and light snacks which were very good. I didn’t try the pool, exercise room or spa so I can’t comment on those.

Customer service was friendly throughout my stay, including a phone call on the second day to make sure everything was ok. There was a small incident of ignoring the “do not disturb” sign hanging on my door one afternoon as someone from housekeeping tried to enter even though I ignored their knock, as I was trying to take a nap after a long day of meetings. I had the chain lock on though so they weren’t able to enter and housekeeping eventually went elsewhere. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the flat screen TV offered a wide variety of channels. I will definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Mr. 2ksmom,

Thank you for staying with us in February and for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor in such detail.

It was a pleasure reading your five star review and rating, we are glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us knowing that you used to stay at the InterContinental Le Vendome Hotel.

Please be assured that we noted the comments you mentioned in your description and we will surely be handling them with extreme care for your next visit.

Hopefully your next trip to Beirut will be in Summer so you get to experience our outdoor pool and the flavorful food and vivid entertainment at our Amethyste Lounge.

Once again, thank you for your review and for sharing the image of Phoenicia Hotel Beirut on trip advisor with such precision.

We highly appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
In the mean time, you can connect to us on daily basis through twitter: @PhoeniciaBeirut and through our Facebook page: fb.me/Phoenicia.InterContinental.Beirut

ISTANBUL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Stayed 2 nights.Front desk and all staff are quite helpful..Could not have much time too see the facilities of the hotel,but I can say all the parts are clean and tidy.Internet access is free but very bad connection not only in the Hotel but all in Beirut.Nearby the new marina,plenty of cafe shops and restaurants..The breakfast was rich enough.You can walk to the new downtown in 5 minutes.There is always a taxi waiting for you outside.But you must check the price before you take it.There is no taximeter in the cars.That was OK in general..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Koxal,

Thank you for staying with us in February and for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. It is always a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed our service and facilities.

We apologize for the internet service you encountered but you should be happy to hear that we are in the process of upgrading our internet to a faster one.

It is nice to know that you got the chance to go out and check Zaitunay Bay the marina facing Phoenicia Hotel, we believe it is an amazing neighbor and it really livened up the market around us.

Hope the weather was sunny during your stay and you had a nice time walking to downtown and the surrounding areas.

As you described Phoenicia hotel is in the center and with easy access to different locations, so if you are a fan of walking it is always better to experience the city by foot instead of going in a taxi. Plus if you need any advice about site seeing locations you can always ask our concierge to assist you.

Once again, thank you for your review and for sharing the image of our hotel on trip advisor.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut during your next visit.

In the mean time, you can connect to us on daily basis through twitter @PhoeniciaBeirut and through our Facebook page: fb.me/Phoenicia.InterContinental.Beirut

Best Regards,

Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

What can I say. I stayed in this hotel more than 5 times and keep going back for its charm. Everything about this hotel has the lebanese twist in a nice way. Location is good, close to the Zaitona bay with lots of restaurants and cafes. Breakfast is the richest I ever seen although the waiters are a bit snobbish. But hey, you are in Lebanon. Concierge is informative and helpful. Reception, lobby, and spa are great. You can spend hours at the lobby without noticing but I always ask myself; is it the hotel or Beirut.

Room Tip: get the sea view and only the sea view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear SaudiArabiaPrince,

Thank you for your recent stay at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut, we appreciate your feedback and review. It is an honor to have you staying with us at Phoenicia every time you visit Lebanon.

As you may know the Lebanese culture is all about Hospitality and generosity so Phoenicia Hotel always tried to mirror this culture. Now naturally the “snobbish” part is not what we aim nor is it part of the culture so thank you for pointing it out and we will surely look in to it.

Plus as an answer to your question, it is Beirut’s effect and the fact that Phoenicia Hotel is part of it.

Again, let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your recommendation of Phoenicia Hotel Beirut, looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel many many times. Trust me, this is your safest bet in Beirut. Their service is a true 5 star experience. They have one of the best SPA facilities i have been to, their indoor pool is amazing, as well as the outdoor pool. The the breakfast is to die for, and all food outlets in the hotel have delicious food to offer. Ask for anything you want and they will deliver. A very safe bet.

Room Tip: All rooms are really nice, however the extra pay for a phoenician club room is really worth it.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Wildmandxb,

Thank you for your review, we are so happy to have you as a loyal guest at Phoenicia Hotel.

Your heart felt comments were well received and shared with our colleagues to show them that their efforts are being appreciated.

We are happy we lived up to your expectations again and waiting to welcome you back soon.

In the meantime rest assured that you can always bet on Phoenicia Hotel and Win.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

A very large well situated, very clean and safe hotel. The hotel overlooks the bay and a small harbor with beautiful yachts. The conference facilities are excellent. The room service and restaurant food was pleasantly a good experience considering that this is my first trip to Lebanon. I was thrilled to see a few vegetarian options in the menu and they tasted very well too. The adjacent Holiday Inn hotel which was devastated during the 2006 war still stand tall and perhaps reminds us like a page from history book but live in front of your room window.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Christian M, Hotel Manager at Phoenicia Hotel, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Dear RavichandranH,

Thank you for your recent stay at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut, it was a pleasure reading your review and feedback.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the Mediterranean view had a lasting impact on you.

As we understood this was your first visit to Lebanon but you were on a business trip, hopefully your next stay will be for leisure and you get the chance to experience Beirut more.

Thank you for showing so much interest in our hotel and the facilities we provide whether it is for a conference, restaurant, Spa or room service.

We are pleased you enjoyed our Vegetarian options in the menu, and stay assured that new selections will be added soon.

As Oscar Wilde said: "You never get a second chance to make a first impression"

Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Stayed at Phoenicia in Feb, 2012. I've been to many hotels in my life so far and this has been one of the best. The way they pay attention to the tiny details that make a difference is breath-taking. For example, the choice of soap bars and shampoos in the toilet is luxury. How the room service checks if you need anything by passing by every night. And one of the nights, they asked me if I needed anything and when I said no, they handed me a very nice scented card with information on the phoenician culture - it was a cultural experience as well. The rooms are nicely decorated. And the complimentary coffee, fruits, and pastries were refreshing. The staff are extremely friendly, welcoming, and helpful, except for the bouncers outside who thought they were protecting a military garisson. Last, but not least, the choice of restaurants is good and food was absolutely yummmy! P.S. there is a place for improvement when it comes to bed pillows. Some hotels offer a choice of soft and hard pillows.

Dear YousefOmar,

Thank you so much for your review, it was a pleasure reading that you enjoyed your stay at Phoenicia Hotel and ranked us as one of the best.

Same as we pay attention to tiny details, we have noticed that you do too by reading your remarkable detailed review.

We are happy you had a great experience and enjoyed your room and our employees’ service with the L’occitane amenities and choices of cuisine.

As for the bouncers you saw outside they are part of the security team for standard safety measures so they are indispensable. However, we take your feedback on board and we understand that the 5 star experience starts from the entrance.

Regarding the cultural experience, at Phoenicia Hotel we believe in providing our guests with an “in the know” experience so it is nice to hear that you got a feel of the Phoenician culture.

On another note, please let us assure you that we are working on a new pillows menu to be included within the rooms with a diversified selection and options within the next month.

Thank you again for your review and for promoting Phoenicia Hotel, looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

In the mean time, stay connected with us on daily basis through twitter @PhoeniciaBeirut and through our Facebook page: fb.me/Phoenicia.InterContinental.Beirut

Hotel Manager

Been to Phoenicia Hotel? Share your experiences!