TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY CONCERNS More info

Ranked #72 of 541 Restaurants in Beirut
Cuisines: Lebanese, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Offering you Innovative Combination of the Finest IngredientsOpen since 1999 in the heart of Beirut, Al Balad restaurant introduced the concept of Lebanese dining in a casual atmosphere. This proved to be a success and soon enough, expansion began in Lebanon and the Middle East. We, at Al Balad, preserve Lebanese traditions in each of our exquisite recipes, which are based on the most innovative combinations of the finest ingredients. We owe our reputation to the equation that combines fusion cuisine, a charming setting and convivial staff. Our customers can enjoy this experience in either Downtown Beirut or Jounieh.Downtown: 1145 ahdab streetJounieh: sahel alma facing platea Dbayeh: blueberry squareWe also have branches in KSA, Kuwait, Qatar and soon in Egypt
Beirut
“Great food friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

The food is great, I advise you to try the kibbeh one of my favourite..... As for dessert halawi ice cream is yummy .... Waiters are friendly and nice, fast service ....

• 5 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
“How an impolite and arrogant manager can make your pleasant experience a nightmare and affects the image of a restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I am writing this comment in order to share with you the most humiliating inappropriate experience that a bad restaurant Manager or staff can make you live and which can affect your vision to a brand or restaurant image.
My wife and I decided, with our 4 months old kid, to try Al Balad latest branch in Dbaye (in the Blueberry square) since we are a frequent customers of Al Balad and we appreciate the food , the atmosphere, the staff, etc. (which are well described in the below comments)
We showed up around 1 o'clock without reservation, keeping in mind that we might not find a table since it is a popular place especially on Sunday. To my surprise, the restaurant was empty, the staff was having lunch at one of the table and the so called manager welcome was not appropriate or up to the Balad standard as we used to in others branches (since one of the staff shouted for him at least twice in order to receive us).
The so called manager, who tried to appear very busy, informed me that no possibility for inside table since it seems all inside tables were reserved for one large group. The only possibility was outside on the terrace.
So he showed me a table outside on the terrace which was also completely empty where also a table for around 14 persons was prepared and reserved. A place very noisy to avoid since it is directly exposed to the road without any meaningful view. Taking into consideration that no help from the staff or so called Manager was done in order to make room for my kid stroller beside my wife chair, a mission that I did on my own. While we ordered and been served, the sun started to appear and hit my baby kid stroller.
I asked politely from the waiter to turn one of the sun umbrellas to cover my baby kid stroller, since three of them were over the empty table reserved for the group of 14 persons not present yet. To my surprise, the waiter informed me straight forward that the person who reserved the table reserved also the three sun umbrellas!!!!!! Are you serious, I am also a customer but I don't have the right to put my 4 months kid in the shade!!!! Is there a rule in the restaurant that gives the person who reserved in advance, the right to use the umbrella while the walking thru customer does not have such right!!!! Am I on the beach where you should reserve and pay for the use of the sun umbrella!!! I was really chocked from such answer.
My wife held my kid in her arms and asked for the manager. But his highness was not available again for the ONLY passing thru two customer’s physically present and was occupied by the absentee VIPs customers. So she entered the restaurant and requested to talk with him and explain to him the situation. But the waiter entered and told him that everything was ok. Facing such impolite and unprofessional situation from such arrogant manager, I requested to stop the rest of my order and asked for the invoice for what was served. At that moment, a family of 5 persons entered and was set at a table behind us; the waiter replied to them, for the sun umbrella request, with the same repeated argument. I paid the invoice properly (that would not have been even presented to an unsatisfied customer in a true restaurant that really respects his customers since we were not well served) and I was leaving, when I heard the so called manager shouting from inside and talking impolitely and outrageously on us. At the same time, the family of five persons as well as a couple that we're entering, left the restaurant in order to avoid such unpleasant atmosphere and behavior.
I am really surprised for what happened as well as the behavior of the staff at that branch. I sent a complaint to the Management and hope that they will have the decency to respond to my e-mail or call me (I will keep you informed of the situation) since I am sure they will not approve such unpleasant, impolite and unprofessional behavior.
I am, as well my wife, frequent customers of Al Balad restaurant others outlets but we had never ever faced as well as our friends such humiliating situation with such impolite persons.
Keeping in mind that while we left, the inside table as well as the outside table were completely empty and still waiting for the so called VIPs customers.
What a shame to consider myself a frequent customer of an establishment that recruit such impolite and unprofessional person since even while we are leaving, his highness, the so called manager, didn't bother himself to go out on the terrace in order to apologize or to solve this issue like if he was the owner (I am sure the owner would have had the decency not even to make such a problem).
A friendly advice, it would be more appropriate to change the Dbaye outlet name from Al Balad to Bossy Manager Area where families and passing thru customers are forbidden. And you should take into consideration that the atmosphere is dependent on the bossy manager mood.
At last, a friendly advice, from now on you should keep in mind to reserve your umbrella with your table in this outlet. I don't have any idea what the so called manager might charge you for such reservation if you are not a well-known customer or a friend to him.
Or a simple advice to the Management, it is time to change the manager if you would like to keep your frequent and respectable customers as well as your high notoriety image of the restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A place to recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I visited with my family the Jounieh-Sahel Alma branch on Sunday the 6th of October. The team was hospitable, helpful and very friendly and provided an excellent service. The food was appetizing, served on time and as requested. One of my favorite Lebanese restaurants that I highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Beirut
“Used to be better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Sunday September 22, kaslik - jounieh branch-the famous potato with coriander ,, even the potato with every side dish always came as if it were baked before time,, ( blackish and wrinkled) it was not like that in down town branch,
I think Arabic coffee with the small cups should be served,,, and given the menu prices ,, a courtesy free fruit ( one ) at least could be offered ,,, most well known Restaurants with same average cost do,
But still nice and responding staff with good food.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jounieh, Lebanon
“One of the best lebanese restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

It's the one of the best lebanese restaurant. The service and the food are great. I enjoyed having my shisha in the outdoor. Recommanded to everyone!

Visited July 2012