“Tasty food and nice friendly atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 263 restaurants in Kuwait City
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Dining on a budget
Description: For those of you who have always wanted to go on a Caribbean Getaway, here is your chance! Experience your Caribbean fantasy through your tastebuds. The Caribbean Hut is owned and operated by Chef Ibrahim Bader Al Boreeqee who is Boricua de pura cepa! The Caribbean Hut is also Kuwait’s first and only Puerto Rican Restaurant including the Middle East. We strive to bring a taste of the Caribbean cuisine through our freshly made-to-order menu all at an affordable price. Feel free to browse through our menu, drop by, and have a chat over a full belly or simply pre-order your food for takeaway. Relax, eat, and enjoy! We won’t bring you the check until you’re satisfied. Also, for those who love the Spanish language, aquí se habla Español!
Kuwait
“Tasty food and nice friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Tasty simple food. Friendly service....As it was our first visit and not knowing Caribbean food the owner was more than happy to explain the type(s) of food on the menu. In the end we asked him to choose for us...we were not disappointed. We left with full stomachs and a smile on our face...What more do you want? We were 4 happy diners from different countries (Bangladesh,Iran,Thailand & England) so no matter your culture give it a try.....

• Visited November 2013

93% Recommend
“A Taste of Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I wish I had written this sooner as I had intended to because this place is worthy of a review. I moved here recently and was surprised to find out there was an actual Puerto Rican restaurant. I'm Puerto Rican myself and can attest that the food is what you'd find on the island. Very humble yet inviting atmosphere, owners are very friendly, and the cost is, in my opinion, underpriced. If you're ever in the mood for something different give this place a try! And as for Puerto Ricans in Kuwait this is a must if you're craving the taste of la isla. :) 5 stars

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Though we are primarily vegetarians, we were inspired to try something new based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. At first glance, the place seemed too modest and small and we actually wondered if we were at the right Caribbean Hut. However, in the very first 2 - 3 minutes after we were seated, we felt at home. The father-son duo were extremely warm and amiable. We had limited choice to order from but whatever we ordered turned out to be yummy. We also ordered a dessert which was fabulous. The location of the restaurant is at Abu Halifa, block 2, street 16, which was easily accessible with the help of the directions that the owner provided us. It is very reasonably priced. We will definitely visit them again. Its a must try place.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Homely tasty Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

A small Puerto Rican restaurant located in Abu Halifa offering good, tasty and affordable food.

As I would assume most people who would have come to know of this restaurant from the ratings in Trip Advisor, we too got to know of this place and thought of giving it a try. It was around Ramadhan end time and thankfully we had found a useful comment from another that it was closed at the time. So we planned and visited the place on 15 Aug when it re-opened and that day they had special complimentary items - desserts for free !!!

Let me give a quick review of the food we had:

Appetizers:
- Beef Empanadillas
Puerto Rican styled patties deep-fried with beef
- Tostones
Deep fried plantains

Both of these were good. It kind of reminded me of food we have at Kerala, India. Simple and tasty

Main Course:
- Mofongo
Mashed fried plantains with beef and a side of rice
- Puerto Rican Stewed Chicken with Rice
Rice with Chicken curry ...
Mofongo was new to me...this is first time I'm having food from the Caribbean cuisine. It tasted nice...something new. The Stewed Chicken with Rice looked something like my wife makes at home and very much tasted like it (as many Kerala curry dishes use coconut milk) but with the Caribbean spices/ flavouring made it more interesting.

Dessert:
- Leche Flan
A milk and caramel dish
- Tembleque
Made with coconut milk, sugar and cinnamon
I liked the Leche Flan, but not so much the Tembleq...Well as I shared earlier, it was free so what can I say we got to flavour it.

Well I forgot about the drink - Pina Colada, I guess that was the star item for my wife, she liked it very much; too much to the extend that she went ahead to ask the Chef for the ingredients.

When we (me & my wife) went we got to also meet the chef and his father who helps out at the place (evening after his day job). The father was happy chatting us up and we did have a good time.

Ambience wise, clearly it is not a fine dining place. Its a small shack with sufficient space and average furniture. One thing I would recommend the owners is to put in one more A.c. as the place had only one and I felt it was hot.

I have added some photos; pardon the poor quality...it was taken on my Nokia E72

You can check the website for more details: http://caribbeanhutkuwait.wordpress.com/ where the actual full menu with price, location map etc. are there.

All in all it was good food, had a feel good factor. Thumbs up from me.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Austin, Texas
“Comfort Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have to say that I was not so sure about this food adventure but...it was great! The food was tasty and the owner & family were kind and warm. I have had a lot of Puerto Rican food made by my family but this was very good. I had the stewed beef (actually Cuban) and the tostones and was too full for flan! But, that gives me reason to go back. It is a bit tricky to find but Google maps can help you. Do go and try this restaurant, you will be glad you did. And, it was only 2 kd!

• Visited September 2013