“Overpriced, Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Moevenpick Hotel Kuwait

You added Moevenpick Hotel Kuwait to your Saves list
Moevenpick Hotel Kuwait
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Free Trade Zone, Safat | P.O. Box 713, Kuwait City 13008, Kuwait   |
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Kuwait City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed during Ramadan and as a non muslim felt that there were too many restrictions placed upon european visitors.
No Alcohol at all, Loud live music right outside my room from midnight to 2am every night, asked to move room, nothing was done about it.
3 resturants on site, offering a multitude of cuisines after 7pm, great unless you have food allergies - the food is not clearly labelled and the staff speak very poor english.
Would not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
hassan_hassanein, General Manager at Moevenpick Hotel Kuwait, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear Mrs Aedhas,

Reference is made to your recent stay with us at the Mövenpick Hotel Kuwait , for which we thank you and hope that in the meantime, you reached home safely.
We are in receipt of your comments, which you were kind enough to share with us and we have taken note of your suggestions and comments, which will certainly help us to improve and fine tune our operation.
Hopping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mövenpick Hotel Kuwait or to any other Mövenpick Hotel & Resort, sometime in the near future and assuring you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort, we remain.
With Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Arabic first
Kochi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

I think this hotel is run by Europeans and building is like a traditional one. The hotel is a huge building spanning inside a big area. Its only a two storied building. The hotel looks bit old, but clean. The room is very spacious with free wifi, but it is slow. The hotel receptionist were very helpful and friendly.

The breakfast is very good with variety of items. Overall the stay in this hotel was comfortable. But be cautious, don't take anything from the mini bar, it is too costly to afford.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Mr Thampi,

We are in receipt of your completed guest questionnaire and have noted with pleasure that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and the services and facilities provided were to your satisfaction.
calcutta, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I stayed at this hotel when I visited Kuwait University for a Conference.

I was received at the airport adn driven down to the hotel. A similing receptioninst welcomed me and asked for my passprt. She filled up the relevant form and asked me to sign at the designated place.

The a bearer took my to my room. While walking down the corridor to my second floor room, I noticed that the corridor was adorned with pictures of the Kuwaiti boat industry and history. The room was very spacious. I could have the view of the gardern from my room. It was a verp pleasant sight. A very positive feature of the room was that it had the direction of the Kiblah, thus making it easier for Muslim guests to pray. Further, a small room on the ground floor serves as a mosque.

The bath room and toilet (wash room) were sepearate. The only negative feature that I found was that the slope in the bathroom was not proper, with the result that water accumulates near the exit.

Though the room is WIFI enabled, there were two computers in the lobby for checking of e-mails.

The hotel has a large dining hall. There were hundreds of items for the complimentary breakfast. All the meat served here is halal. The quality of cooking is excellent.

I enjoyed my stay and look forward to coming back once again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear Mr Mzanis,

LONDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

A bit of background

On all previous visits to Kuwait have stayed at the Meridien Tower, where service is excellent and the bed/sleep was the best I have every had in any hotel anywhere! Hotel pick up, breakfast and internet were included. However, restaurant was not best, so needed to go out to eat in the evenings, surrounding hotels restaurants were very expensive. With rising costs at hotel and high costs of eating out, some of which is caused by the falling pound. I decided to look around for another hotel.

Movenpick

There is some no so good stuff so I will cover that first

Picked this hotel because of my experience with Movenpick in Doha, which is a very high quality hotel with excellent rooms, furnishings etc. They have good service and very good quality food and choices in restaurant. In that respect this Kuwait hotel was a slight let down. The quality of the furnishings was a little, well I have to say it - shabby. A little bit like an old boarding house I once went to in Wales. I have included 3 pictures, one of the desk chair that was actually broken and lop sided. One of an old sofa that looked very tired and dirty, and one of the room itself. Once my initial surprise at this was out of the way, I started to smell something like a sewer in the room. I went down to the reception to ask them about this. To my total amazement they were not surprised by my observation and offered to come and spray air freshener in my room. It seems, it is something to do with the air outside. During my stay either the smell went away or (don't think bad of me) I actually got used to it. Either way I did not notice anything after my first night.

Breakfast is extra, but I did agree, since I was not too hungry, for a small cost just to have toast and tea, which was fine for me.

They do give 25% discount vouchers off hotel restaurants, there are several to choose from. Tried the Italian Restaurant that was very nice and the buffet which was ok, but not nearly as good as Movenpick in Doha.

Booked what I was told was a complimentary car for airport, but when I checked out it was extra at 3KD ( about $ 10 ) same charge to back to airport. Which is odd, as I clearly remember, I was told complimentary plus an earlier review mentioned complimentary car.

So all that sounds pretty bad, but generally the service was exceptional, the bed was very good, so had excellent sleep. The TV in the evenings was fine with a good choice of English speaking channels. The food if not brilliant, was good enough. Internet was included.

I understand the hotel was fully booked, so they must be doing most things right and actually on balance that is my view as well. So would I go back? Well yes, I probably would. You can get so many things wrong with a hotel, but this one because of their relaxed and friendly welcoming style I would consider going back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Our Guest
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

This is a very good hotel. The staff were excellent and very welcoming. Having stayed in Kuwait City many times over the past 15 years I picked it because it appeared to be significantly better value than most of the city centre hotels. I got a 3 for 2 deal and it was well worth it. I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel, but the location is maybe not ideal. However, if you don't need to be in the city centre, this is very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear mR. AcerSaccharum

Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

Excellent service. Good selection and quality at breakfast and dinner buffet restaurant.
Pretty good gym. Nice lounge and pool area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Oilman

North Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

I really liked this hotel and the staff were very professional and worked hard to make you feel special. Great value compared to other similar hotels in Kuwait. If this hotel was in either Kuwait City or Salmiya, then I would give this 4 starts and a thumbs up. You can call it a hidden gem, but the location (especially for business) makes this place to me a deal-killer.

I'm in Kuwait, so when I'm down in the lobby or tea room and all I hear is 1980's American soft rock for the entire stay (9 days) then it absolutely drove me crazy. It really started getting under my skin.

Only about 5-10 minutes from The Avenues Mall. That place is HUGE !

The rooms are nice and spacious. Being right on water (not a beach, just merky fish mud) then there was a foul smell at times in the air. The sewage smelled from time to time in the bathroooms, but not all the time.

The food was average. Although, the only time I ate dinner at the hotel (Italian) then I got sick the next morning.

Loved the beds... hate the pillows. Their too damn big.

One cool thing about the Movenpick Shuwaikh is that many locals come to spend time on the back lawn for dinner, shisha, and movie on the lawn. Pretty cool actually.

Good news: There are over a dozen coffee shops, internet cafes, Subway, a bank and more within walking distance.

Bad news: Every one of those places are shut down. Something about the fact that the local government pulled all of their registrations / licenses. So, Movenpick in Shuwaik is out on an island all by itself.

Pros:
- Very clean
- Great staff
- Really cool tea / coffee room
- Locals come to hang out (locals with money)
- Quiet (too quiet for me)
- Free internet
- Safe in the room
- Security was pretty good
- Laudry service
- Gym with a steam room (closet)
- Smoking and Non-Smoking Rooms
- Good looking blonde that plays the piano in the evenings

Cons:
- LOCATION is a deal-killer
- Bad smell (sometimes)
- Downstairs overhead music was not local, but Western (not even good music)
- No ATM machine (front desk will put 20 KD per day towards your room charge if you want)
- Every coffee shop and cafe in the entire Free Zone was shut down and made it seem like a ghost town at night.
- My USB flash drive got a virus from one of their computers (I know, not really their fault but I've got to get mad at someone)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Our Guest

With Kind regards,

Been to Moevenpick Hotel Kuwait? Share your experiences!