“Wow - glad it was free!” 1 of 5 stars

Delmon International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   PO Box 5661, Manama, Bahrain   |
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Manama
San Antonio, Texas
“Wow - glad it was free!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

My Gulf Air flight to Nepal had a stopover in Bahrain and the connecting flight was delayed. While it was really nice of the airline to provide hotel accomodations, this choice of hotel seemed odd. Those of us who were delayed had wait for paperwork processing and then find the shuttle stop in the airport. It took my wife an I nearly an hour walking around the parking lot before we found that they needed us inside. About a dozen of us piled into a van to go to the hotel. We bypassed multiple hotels near the airport and drove all the way to downtown Manama to the Delmon. Both check in and check out found us waiting at the desk while a disorganized and uninterested clerk processed more paperwork. I was a bit concerned that they held on to our passports while we were there - I guessed that they did not want us walking around the streets.

The rooms seemed pretty run down to me and there was some trash left in the bathroom. They provided dinner, and this was the best part of the stay. They had a middle eastern style buffet which was actually pretty good. The restaurant looked out on the street and it seemd like we were not in a really nice area.

The worst part was that there a at least 5 lounges and bars on the first floor that play very loud music until 2AM. I popped my head into a few of these and was not impressed. In one, there was a guy on a piano singing while two scantilly clad ladies gyrated on stage. There were less than 5 people in the room but the music was deafaning!

We were on the first floor and could barely sleep due to the noise. We had less than six hours at the hotel until the shuttle picked us up to go back to the hotel. It was more comfortable than the floor in the airport, but not a place I would stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Room is spacious, staff are friendly, vast spread of complimentary buffet breakfast, good location, easy access to malls, taxi stand just outside the hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Karachi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Heavy storms diverted our Gulf Air flight to Doha, Qatar from its home base in Manama City, Bahrain. This mitigating circumstance led to missed onward connection and a forced 24 hours stay in Manama City, Bahrain. We returned to Manama City, Bahrain following a 3 hour stay in plane on the tarmac of Doha International airport.

It is wonder how a five star airline uses this terrible hotel, Delmont International Hotel, for its stranded economy passengers. Take nothing away from the care and sensitivity of the Gulf Air ground staff and the company policy of providing full board stay but the poor choice of hotel does dilute all.

Delmont has a dark, gloomy environment with a dusty air in spite of being centrally air conditioned. Minibar was empty, no complimentary tea, coffee in the room, no ironing board, no amenities except for the LCD TV, basic bathroom and the effective air conditioner controlled by a 1 to 5 graded knob not by a thermostat is loud.

The staff is not warm and not trained for hotel service. Expect the minimum support from them and be cautious of their sincere recommendations. The first three guidance provided by the concierge and desk were absolutely incorrect. As an example, we were categorically told that the biggest mall , City Center, has no movie cinemas. I reached City Center for shopping and lunch only to discover 20 cinema screens playing scores of movies.For those who are familiar with malls in the gulf states will find all stores, restaurants in the city center.

Perhaps the only saving grace for the hotel is arguably its location. This is hardly a factor in this small city of Manama. In minutes you can drive around the city. The breakfast was good but not a 4 star one.

In spite of not paying for my full board stay, it is difficult for me to raise the terrible tripadvisor status (one dot) to poor(two dots). I can with certainty conclude that my family and I would not be staying at Delmont International Hotel, Manama City, Bahrain in its current state. Also Gulf Air for travel will be reconsidered even though the my stay occurred due to turbulent weather.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
al khobar
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

Dark dingy rooms. Frayed dirty carpets Bathrooms in need of repair. Lowest water pressure on the island. Water smells strange and leaves you all sticky. Probably a dead pigeon in the water tank (not joking, it happens in this part of the world). Cold breakfast buffet by the time I got there which was 6.30. Tasteless leftovers.

Delmon get away with it because they offer a city center location, next to a Manama's oldest night club, Diggers with it's Chinese take-away girls. Manama's ultimate hang-out, Wendy's, a gay bar is just down the street.

Two stars max.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

I stayed in this hotel for a period of two days. Though I have read many horror reviews about this hotel, I did not find any to be true in my case, but it might be due to low traffic in Bahrain due to current crisis. They also offered me a discount on the pricing.

I am not sure if it claimed to be 4 star or 3 star but it will be overrated at 4 star. Dim lighting, spacious but tasteless decorated rooms, an ok type coffee shop, great internet connection, though at a price would be my wordings in short. The showers were not good, but overall one can go and stay here if he/ she wants to spend all the time at the bars down below. All except one, were closed and thus I would reserve my comments on the sleep.
I shall be going to Bahrain again, and might pick the same hotel despite all this as it is located on the highway

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

wud luv to stay again...it was three days memorable stay,

hotel has nice nite life ...dance club, where u can find good crowd

and chosse good partner to dance with .....

the rooms are good , quite nice and well decorated...

Had a buffet Lunch at the reastaurent which cost 3.5 BD each with variery of food....

breakfast is complementary n good with seasoned food... its value for return of your money spent in the hotel

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Kuwait
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed in this "4-star" hotel for 2-nights. I knew from the moment I walked in, it was a brothel, with Chinese prostitutes everywhere. I asked to be placed in a non-smoking room away from the music, which the front desk assured me the room was positioned on the 2nd floor, on the other side of the building away from the clubs. The hotel is rundown and filthy. I could hear the music pounding away until 3am, despite the front desk's reassurance. I was charged for a bucket of ice, and when I say "bucket", they literally gave me a REAL tin bucket! Since there is no wireless internet, I called for a cable and it was not sent to me until the following day. At 8am I woke up to the stench of cigarette smoke coming in through the A/C vents. Did I mention the room was filthy? The water boiler had water sitting in it from a previous guest. I was pleased to see a HUGE flat screen in the room - my one big thrill - but my pleasure lasted only minutes when I found there were only 9 channels, 7 of which were Hindi and Arabic, and the 2 channels in English were fuzzy with terrible reception. The complimentary breakfast in all their literature is advertised from 0600 to 1100, yet when I got to the cafe the next morning at 1030, the food was gone, and the servers informed me breakfast ends at 1030. I proceeded to order from the menu and received cold eggs, and warm milk for my cereal. As I was eating, a server actually walked around the restaurant area blanketing it with an incense scented aerosol spray! What restaurant does that? The one and only service I fully appreciated that the hotel provided, was a complimentary shuttle to the airport, which I didn't waste any time taking advantage of just so I could get away from that horrible hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Delmon International Hotel? Share your experiences!