“Great dinner with friends” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
“Great dinner with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Went here this week for dinner with friends and had a great time. The menu is quite diverse which I usually don't appreciate, but the food was very good. I enjoyed the atmosphere quite a bit, the house wine was tasty, and the dishes were very tasty. The raw octopus was not as flavorful as I had hoped, but the veal was delicious and the tacos were surprisingly tasty. Desert was fantastic and the sake was pretty good. It would have been nice to know if the type of sake as I was looking for Joonmaishu (sp?) but that's extremely minor. The service was great and I'll definitely be coming back. Much better than it's neighbor 338.

Visited December 2013

86% Recommend
Manama
“Meisei continues to pleasantly surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Ever since I went back in February 2013, I became a regular. Chef Michael takes personal care and have even made black cod in Houba leaf; it was amazing. I am a Sashimi guy and the cuts here are the freshest and the most generous. Meisei is the best, its just like being in Zuma and Hakkasn combined. go on Thursday or Friday the buzz and the eye candy is not to be missed. all comes at a price though.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Manama, Bahrain
“Modern Asian in Bahrain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Many months ago, I was first introduced to Meisei at the request of my friends whom are equally as fanatic about Asian food; needless to say, Meisei was not a disappointment. As an overview, the actual restaurant, food, ambiance and service are by far on par with Nobu, Hakkasan and Zuma. Coming from L.A., and having lived in Aisa and Europe, I have been very fortunate to have dined in some of the best places imaginable and Meisei has equal footing with the best of them.

Location:
It was a feast in itself. The design was a testament to care and precision in ensuring the best atmosphere and most importantly, a warm place to come to. Every detail has been thought of, from the best lighting to the use of exotic marbles etc. It felt like a temple to house the food in. I have returned many times and still I have not been able to try everything on the menu.

Dinner - items that I keep returning back for:
1. Meisei Sashimi - this was outstanding. The freshness of the sashimi was mouthwatering, very clean flavors. What enticed me was the subtle wasabi that was served along side.
2. Emperor Iro Iro fried dumpling- I am a big fan of anything fried and this dish topped it. The wrapper is crisp, the stuffing was delicately flavored and the sauce that this dumpling sits on compliments it greatly.
3. Dim Sum - this is a signature dish, and from my travels to Asia, eating at modern Asian eateries such as Hakkasan and the China Club in Hong Kong, this is on par. It is a very clever dish, with color coded wrappers for each of the dim sum indicating vegetarian, chicken and seafood.
4. Fried calamari - again, I am a sucker for fried foods but the chef informed me of the oils they used and with his stringent eye for all things healthy, I do not feel as bad eating this. it is light, flavorful. Comfort food.
5. Dolsup bibimbap - this is a modern take on a traditional Korean dish, and executed perfectly. You have the stone bowl, the vegetables, the meat (which is Kobe beef!) but what takes it to another level is the rice. It is a special purple rice which is not only very good for you, but delicious.
6. The fragrant duck. As I am writing this, I may just go back and order only the duck tonight when the restaurant reopens for dinner. I have eaten in some of the best Peking Duck establishments in Hong Kong, Taipei, San Francisco etc. but this wins hands down. The skin is light and crispy. The meat is tender and, yes, the entire dish is fragrant. The wrappers are thin, and made in-house. Outstanding.
7. Snowball desert - this reminds me of snowball fights as a child and was told by the chef that his formative years in Canada had inspired this dessert. It needs to be tried.

Service - I was very impressed by the staff. knowledgeable, they are there when necessary but for the most part, far enough that our table enjoyed the evening but close enough that they took care of us in an unobtrusive manner. Now, all of this does come at a price, but well worth it for a fine dining establishment.

I can keep writing but then it would end up being a dissertation and bore you, but the best of modern Asian is expertly crafted. All I can say is I highly recommend this to all readers visiting Bahrain for both lunch and dinner (both of which I have enjoyed). I will update when I return and try more dishes.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Manama, Bahrain
“Good atmosphere but bad value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The restaurant is beautiful and the rooftop is very pleasant.
However, the prices are very high for what you have in the plates (little quantites specially for sushi, sahimi...).
Go there for a drink in the rooftop but not for a complete meal!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Helston, United Kingdom
“One of the best bars - busy only on weekends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Atop Meisei is a very funky bar. It has great music with a DJ always on the decks. It gets busy at the weekends but is a good place to meet during the week albeit a bit quiet.

The view is ace and the atmosphere incredible. The cocktails are good but in line with the rest of the area - a bit pricey.

They hold the occasional DJ night with visiting DJ's from around the world. It is more bar than club however, so do not go expecting a massive crowd dancing. Take a quick look at the range of super-cars in the car park and you will glean an understanding of the clientele.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere