“Top Quality Grub!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, European, English, Healthy
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Bahrain, a terrific buzz hits you as you enter Upstairs Downstairs and make your way through the bar to the utterly charming two-floor restaurant. Decorated in traditional English Country House style, it’s like being at a private dinner party hosted by a friend and the ambiance is heightened further by local jazz musicians performing on stage. The international guest stars regularly take the stage.The menu is eye-catching international fajitas, fish cakes, interesting-sounding salads and such, all feature, with vegetarians well catered for. So come on over and experience something different today.
Al Khobar, Ash Sharqiyah, Saudi Arabia
“Top Quality Grub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Had a really enjoyable meal here with my wife. Arrived 1900ish on a Friday evening and it was pretty empty - certainly no need to book. Good menu with wide selection of dishes. I had a simple veal schnitzel - straight forward, but tasty, very well cooked and portion sizes that should satisfy most expanding bellies! My wife had pork tenderloin and was very impressed too. Crepe Suzette for desert was delicious - made in front of you at the table, complete with Apocalypse Now style 3-foot high flames as the waiter flambéd it. Only drawback is that the wine menu is fairly pricey, but no one forces you to drink it! Budget on ~25BD per head and you won't go too far wrong. Will definitely go again

Visited January 2014

• Arabic first
Helston, United Kingdom
“Upstairs or Downstairs its a seriously decent place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We have eaten and drunk here on numerous occasions. Its biggest drawback is the lack of outdoor seating, however do not let that put you off. There are a million places you can sit outside in Bahrain, there are not however many places you can sit in such a loverly atmosphere and hear live jazz or exceptional piano playing.

The menu is extensive and everything we have tried has been great quality, its not cheap but you get what you pay for! There is a funky, and somewhat hidden bar upstairs.

The staff are great and Bashar and George are quick to get to know you and seriously friendly people.

This place is the Ronnie Scotts of Bahrain - do not miss it!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brisbane, Australia
“Relaxed place for a Friday breakfast.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

First time we'd been here, and it won't be the last. Friends have been coming here for years. The breakfast menu is restricted (full English , American or poached eggs and smoked salmon), but it's good food, and (most importantly!) it's porky bacon. We had a very attentive waiter, and excellent service. Definitely worth trying, and we'll probably try dinner as well.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
“Best fine dining place in Bahrain! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Brought my visiting family from UK to Bahrain and I will never miss bringing them in my favorite restaurant. As always the place is warm and cozy, the food is delicious and the music is what i really love. friendly servers and attendants. Highly recommend this to people who loves a jazzy atmosphere

Manama
“Great food, music, ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A group of four of us recently tried their brunch after the renovations that were undertaken over the summer and we have to say we weren't disappointed. The nice thing with this brunch as opposed to others, is that you get a menu to choose from rather than a buffet (which is good news for me as I get overwhelmed by the buffet options and often end up with a combination of foods that don't work and one plate later I'm done). I settled on the hammour pate with toasts which was utterly delicious, my friends went for the tomato and mozzarella salad. Then came a soup course which was asparagus and again, a lovely flavour combination which, even though we didn't order was a nice addition to the meal. Having realised after I'd ordered it that I was on for a fishy sort of a day, I ordered a hammour and prawn curry with associated condiments. This was as good a curry as you'll find in Copper Chimney or Lanterns and hubby and I polished it off in record time. My two other friends had the (pork) bbq ribs and they said they were delicious and looked tender from the state of the leftover bones. The dessert I chose was a profit roll (sic) gateaux which, although nice, was too sweet for me, so I let the husband polish it off with his cheese plate!

The sparkling wine kept flowing without having to ask for a top up and the gents enjoyed red wine with their meals. A word of warning no beer is served as part of the brunch deal, but red, white and sparkling wine is, together with spirits. For the price (BD15 ++) it was good value and we would certainly go again. The only slight downside is that to listen to the wonderful jazz band who had been playing throughout the brunch, we were seated in the smoking section. Only one table to our right appeared to be smoking, which in this day and age is a bit of an anachronism in my opinion. No matter, I would absolutely recommend this brunch as you actually do manage to eat a full meal (no cobbled together brunch dishes here)

• Visited October 2013