“Made a difficult place to visit better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Riyadh

You added InterContinental Riyadh to your Saves list
InterContinental Riyadh
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mazaar Street | Po Box 3636, Riyadh 11481, Saudi Arabia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 150 Hotels in Riyadh
sydney
“Made a difficult place to visit better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently spent 6 days with my husband attending a conference as a family with two small children. We were apprehensive once we realised how restrictive it would be for us. The hotel was the bright spot of the trip. We opted to upgrade to the executive club which not only served great food four times a day (one of the best buffet breakfasts) it also gave us an extra space to while away our time. The cost of the upgrade was pretty much covered by what we would pay for a buffet breakfast for two and we certainly got our moneys worth if only in the constant availability of (soft)drinks., especially since leaving the hotel required a taxi journey...The other food we had at the hotel was reasonable if expensive. We loved the soups at the restaurant by the pool.
It was frustrating not being able to swim or use the gym (as a woman) but this is more a Riyadh issue than a hotel decision. Having said that I would think it would be possible for the gym (which apparently has an indoor pool) to set aside some women's hours. We were told by the concierge I could have a bike and weights sent to our room but the gym refused.
The staff were extremely friendly and tolerant of two small children roaming about. On one of the few occasions I took the children out alone the bell boy was very keen to ensure we had a safe taxi.Our room was very spacious - although this may have been because of the upgrade.
In general however, Riyadh is a difficult city especially when it is hot. There is little to do apart from go to the shopping centres which close in the middle of the day as well as during all of the prayer sessions.Taxis are an issue as many do not have seat belts in the back. The driving was variable although not nearly as bad as we have experienced in Nepal and some Asian countries. It was too hot and too far to walk anywhere.It is important to check carefully the opening hours of everything - and that it is a family or whatever type of day you require. Even then various places (in our case the National museum) close without notice. In general I would advise avoiding Riyadh but if you have to go I would definitely recommend the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the executive club
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest AustFamily,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

It gives me pleasure to read your kind review about the unique experience you had in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia especially the city of Riyadh. I must thank you that somehow your initial perception of the kind of life in the kingdom has significantly changed with this recent travel.

I am also very grateful that after this stay, you have recommended our hotel as a nice place to stay when in Riyadh.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the near future.

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you want stay one of the huge or big hotels in the world it could be Intercontinental Riyadh, has a gold course on the same compound, huge restaurants, big cafes and swimming pools and it gives or adds much comfort in one of the restricted countries in the world!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Rao,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

I am very happy to note that you had a comfortable stay and that all the facilities were to your full satisfaction.

We look forward to have the pleasure of serving you again.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was on Intercontinental only due to the fact that company policy doesnt allow anything lower than that. I wasnt too pleased (loyalty program lies with Novotel). Having said that I have been pretty well taken care of here. The staff is extremely courteous, they make the effort to learn your name and pretty much cater to your every whim and fancy. (I once called up room service at 4 am to ask for a match box, took them 4 min to get one to my room). The food is decent, specially the breakfast. Never missed it a single day!! The rooms are neat n tidy though i personally feel too large for a regular single person to stay.
ON the down side, the hotel is very old, so the air conditioning isnt up to the best standards. Not to say that it is hot, but the a/c works on its own whims and fancies. Plus the ac makes a racket at times.
The hotel is perfect for business trips and a the facilities ensure that you dont get bored (cause trust me that happens a lot). Gym, swimming pools, tennis courts, golf, bowling etc keep you occupied.
Its still too expensive but if money isnt the issue I'd definitely recommend the hotel

Room Tip: for those who smoke, make sure you mention that at the time of check in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Mr. Prateek 1385,

Thank you for your review of the InterContinental Riyadh during your recent stay with us. I am very much elated by your observations and takes pride in all of my staff who have taken cared of you during your stay. Please be assured that we will continue our excellent services as we look forward to have you again the nearest future.

Indeed, the rooms need refurbishment but this will be the next phase of renovation after the lobby, conference rooms and the main entrance.

Sincerely yours.
Amman, Jordan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is an awesome hotel. The staff seem a bit disconnected and not very friendly. But overall the hotel has a great indoor and out door pool, beautiful landscaping, a bowling ally if you have a group friends joining you. The food is ok to include the breakfast. Their location is not great and you won't be able to walk to a restaurant or mall.

Room Tip: I know they are always renovating, but make sure you get a room in the new wing and NON smoking.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mr. KMubarak,

Thank you for your very constructive review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

I really appreciate your observations on the physical facilities of the hotel, though I am concerned about the indifference of some staff, which you indicated. I have communicated with all my Head of Departments to re-enforce our friendly attitude towards guests and ensure that services should always be extended with a smile.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I traveled to Riyadh City, Saudi Arabia for a business trip, where we managed a business meeting in the Hotel. Actually Hotel was perfect and service i believe it worth 5 Stars Hotel. I had a situation with the Receptionist during checking in, where there was no ready room yet for me to stay in however i had a confirmed paid reservation on the same day. A gentleman from the hotel management came to me and offered me a free of charge room upgrade to Club Room to stay in in order to solve this matter. It was really appreciated.

I strongly recommend this hotel for business travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Mr. Hassan,

Thank you for your review during your recent stay at InterContinental Riyadh.

It gives me pleasure to read your kind review about how our staff made you feel important during your arrival at the hotel. I have cascaded your full review to the Front Office Department so as to share with them your nice comment.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the nearest future.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have not spent the night on the property but have been here several times for their breakfast and once for the seafood dinner buffet. The breakfast buffet costs SAR 140 per head, i cringed at first when i heard the price but after going to the buffet i really enjoyed it. It had a wide variety of meals on offer and desserts, we were stuffed by the time we finished our meal. For that price of the meal i advice anyone who goes there to go with a proper empty tummy to fill up all the food you will be munching away. Service by the waiters is good in the morning since their is not alot of human traffic around. It has in-door and outdoor seating and you can take off your abaya and their is a place to hang your coats or abaya when you remove them. So go on and give it a go!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mr. Fazak,

I am indeed very happy to read your comments concerning our buffet and I would like to thank you very much. We look forward to have the pleasure of serving you again in all our Food and Beverage outlets.

Tariq Dowidar
Newbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Just got back from a three night stay at the Intercontinental where everything went smoothly. From the helpful and efficient check-in staff to the excellent gym and spa facilities they offer in a city that really does not do entertainment. If I go back (for my sins) I will be sure to stay at the IC Riyadh!

Room Tip: Club rooms are in the new wing. Standard rooms are more than spacious enough.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Tariq D, General Manager at InterContinental Riyadh, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Mr. Tallphilc,

Thank you for your recent review of the InterContinental Riyadh during your last stay with us.

I am grateful to your kind comments and happy to note the way our staff has treated you as well as your satisfaction to our recreational facilities. I must also thank you for your intention to return to Riyadh, your second home.

We look forward to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Yours sincerely,

Tariq Dowidar, Acting General Manager

Been to InterContinental Riyadh? Share your experiences!