“No need for any kids or news channel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Makkah

You added Le Meridien Makkah to your Saves list
Le Meridien Makkah
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Abdulaziz Road | Ajyad Area, Mecca 13700 , Saudi Arabia   |
Ranked #30 of 236 Hotels in Mecca
London, United Kingdom
“No need for any kids or news channel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

The purpose of the visit to Makkah for Umrah or Haj for most of us, hence we do travel with kids and to have them occupied with something we tend to put the TV to keep them quite.

As we visiting Makkah for holy purpose, please dont expect or suggest what you usually do at home. I personally prefer not to have TV in the hotel room in the 1st place to respect holy land.

I have 2 kids and ofcourse i would suggest Kids channels to be offered in the hotel if not available but would not suggest in the Makkah or Madinah.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Labuan Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My family and I stayed at Le Meridien Makkah during our umrah trip from 14th to 18th March. The location was not like what I expected i:e as advertised in the website about 100m from King Abdul Aziz Gate. I agree this 100m is the geographical distance, but since there is a crowded main road infront of it that we have to cross, everytime we want to go to Haram, I doubt if this figure is still accurate. The website also boasts Haram view from the room but all I saw was 2 minarets of the Masjidil Haram.Check in was relatively fast since our travel agent had managed the paperwork, so was the concierge. Our room was average, but to our dismay, there was no tea and coffee making facilities like other starwood hotels. I hope the management would be more considerate to equip the rooms with this facility since we need to stay awake to perform our prayers.At least an electric kettle will do the job.Bathroom amenities were average but no shower caps were provided. According to the housekeeping staff, shower caps are not available at this hotel. Ironing facilities were only sent an hour after we requested. When I went to the reception to enquire something, I wonder if I was invisible. The front office staff was busy answering the phone, too busy to even glance at me, much less to greet or apologise for keeping me waiting for 10 minutes.My greatest disappointment with this hotel is the F&B department. Maybe it is only experienced by Asian guest from Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and Brunei.When we stayed at Madinah Hilton on fullboard package we were welcome to have our meals at both restaurants there. We supposed it was the same in Le Meridien Makkah since our agent just instructed us to proceed to 21st floor for our meals.The first time we went for dinner at Rand Restaurant on 21st floor, we were ushered to a small function room. Since the choice at the buffet counter was limited (there were beef stew, tofu and vegetables for entree), none of these can be eaten by my young sons since children dislike vegetables, the beef was too tough for their deciduous teeth and the tofu was too spicy; I brought them to the main buffet counter so that he can have something to eat.While we were at the counter, we were instructed to only take our food at the function room allocated for Indonesian tour group even though we are Malaysians on a customised private package. I was not aware of the arrangement made between our travel agent and the hotel since there was no signage to indicate 'Asian only' buffet counter nor a name or room number list to check with.Can you imagine how offended and embarrassed we were? We were treated like 2nd class guests at a hotel that displayed a 5 star rating at the entrance! The next day, I checked with the F&B manager and he clarified that our agent booked us the cheaper meal package which was SR60 (about USD60) per pax and offered to upgrade us to full package at an additional discounted rate of SR50. By our Malaysian standard,SR60 for 3 salads, 3 main dish,plain rice, soup,3 desserts, oranges,1 soy sauce dipping and 1 chilli dipping is a bit too much especially when we were served the same beef stew ,dippings and desserts everyday. The food even run out empty when large Indonesian tour groups came in and was not replenished until the F&B staff was notified. On one occasion,I even suffered from diarrhoea after eating the chilli dipping which made me wonder if the the kitchen even recycled the food! One night we even had to go out to have dinner at a restaurant at the nearby clock tower since the restaurant was too crowded to accommodate us and to my pleasant surprise, the cost for the whole meal for our family of 3 adults and 2 children at this good restaurant was only SR82! Sorry to say, but I think this hotel is making "sinful" profits out of pilgrims' pockets coming to perform their ibadah. On the last night there, we return to hotel a bit late after completing our umrah rituals. We reached the Rand Restaurant at 10pm and since the restaurant was crowded and no seats available like the night before, we decided to return later. Since my sons were already hungry, my husband had to walk to the clock tower to buy them takeaway meal. We returned to Rand at 10.45 pm and to my disappointment, a barricade was placed at the entrance indicating that dinner time was over, even though the official dinner time ends at 11 pm as displayed on the signage. When we went in the F&B staff rudely denied us with a sign language and my husband insisted on speaking to the hotel manager. After he failed to contact the manager for 5 minutes he finally let us in. Usually, when we go to any buffet, the F&B staff will give a last call 10 minutes before buffet end in case some patrons will want extra helpings, before the buffet counter was cleared up. We are quite used to staying at le Meridien in Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu and expected the service in Makkah to be at par Sad to say ,I can only declare that Le meridien Makkah is the worst 5 star hotel we've stayed in, even some budget hotel staff can show better manners!

Room Tip: Find other hotels
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
LeMeridienMakkah, Manager at Le Meridien Makkah, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and effort in posting a review of your stay at Le Meridien Hotel Makkah. We appreciate your honest comments and it is with regret to know that we were not able to meet the expectations of your stay on this occasion and we are sorry that you were dissatisfied with the service you received and status of the facilities we have offered.

Please be assured you that this is not the level of service we strive to provide our venerated clients so please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you.
We would like to reassure you that we have given this unpleasant incident our utmost attention; existing procedures have been modified in order to prevent such incident in the future. After initial investigation, corrective action has already been implemented.

I truly hope that the shortcomings you have experienced will not completely hinder you from considering a stay with us again in future, and that you will give us the chance to regain your confidence on our service and facilities

We would like to welcome you again soon, as we are quite certain about the fact that your next stay with us will be as pleasant and comfortable as all of our guests experiences. I do hope you will give Le Meridien Makkah the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

The hotel is located a convenient 5 minute walk from the edge of Al-Masjid Al-Haraam, although on the way back it is uphill so may be tough for the elderly. I would leave 15 minutes to get from your hotel room to your position for salaah inside the mosque due to the crowds and the time it takes to enter.

The lobby is small but there is an impressive lounge on the ground floor. Most of the reception staff are monolingual (Arabic) which I found surprising for a five star hotel. It was difficult to communicate with them, especially on the phone.

The staff helped take our luggage to and from the room, which was well furnished but the carpet had some stains. The concierge arranged taxi services for us to Taneem Mosque (for Ihram) but you can also flag down your own taxi at a stand closer to the Masjid (remember to negotiate the price beforehand!).

Our room was only cleaned once in our five day stay, even though we often left the “Please service my room” card on the door handle. During the last two days of our stay, the room key cards stopped working and we would continuously have to request new ones, which would only work once. The door lock batteries were changed but this made no difference. It was very annoying to have to go down to the lobby to request new cards after returning from every prayer.

Breakfast was served from 6am to 10:30am, which was convenient for those wanting to eat straight after Fajr, and for those wanting to take a nap and wake up later. The breakfast was magnificent and plentiful; we ate so much that we could often skip lunch. There was a chef inside the restaurant to make fresh omelettes with fillings of your choice. The restaurant manager was very courteous and helpful; however, the other staff were always in a mad rush to clear away plates from the table. Sometimes we would leave a nearly full plate of food on the table to get some more, and come back to see it had been removed.

Overall a good experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
LeMeridienMakkah, Manager at Le Meridien Makkah, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay in Le Meridien Makkah and for taking the time to rate us here. Your feedback is highly appreciated, especially knowing that we have failed to meet your expectations during your stay. We took serious note of your disappointment with us.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in February. Location wise it's 3/4 minute walk from the haram. You cannot see the Kaaba tho. We stayed on the 18th floor facing the Kaaba. You can see the outskirt of the haram and the single minar. Food was not all that great even tho there was varieties. There was a chef to make omlettes but the buffet space is kind of small for a hotel of this size. No store near by. So if you want to buy basic stuffs you will have to walk towards Makkah towers. The staff not so friendly, they could try to be a little more warmer towards their guests. But there's free Internet and also available cabs that stops right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to post a review of your stay experience. We value the feedback received and would like to assure you that your review has been shared with the team. We are very sorry to read that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Please be assured that a positive guest experience is the aim of every employee, service and facility at Le Meridien Makkah and it is very disappointing when guests do not feel we have delivered this.

Yours Sincerely,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012 via mobile

I stayed there for one night. I have to say its well located but the service is not a five stars service just as most of Mekka hotels simply because of the very high occupancy rate. You can see the Haram from the hotel but you can't see the Ka'aba

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our hotel. We are sorry to learn that your stay was not up to your expectations. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience caused due to some services not being up to your standard. We do hope that you will give our hotel another chance. We do look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Le Méridien Makkah in the near future.

Yours Sincerely,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed here on a brief 2 day trip in February 2012 as my first preference of Makkah Hilton Towers wasn't available. Booked through an agent for SR740 for a deluxe room with Haram view, the royal palace next to Haram blocks the view, except for a minaret or two, but probably the higher floors give a better scene.

Findings:
1. Check-in didnt take too much time and reservation was found instantly.
2. Room on 13th floor was clean as was the toilet. Bed linen was spotless, though the sofa did show a spot or two from some spilled food or beverage from previous stays. Pillows were firm yet soft as was the bed.
3. Location gives you quick access to Haram's King Abdulaziz Gate, 5-10minutes walk, based on your pace.
4. No neighbouring shops or food outlets, have to rely on getting things from Makkah Tower shops opposite to King Fahd Gate or the Bait Al-Abraaj mall opposite to King Abdulaziz Gate.
5. Hotel has limited parking spots available for guests 'for free' in the next door 'expensive' SR25/hour parking tower.
6. TV had a limited selection of english & arabic channels, most people would be looking at the live broadcast channel which can give the pilgrim an idea on when to plan a visit.
7. Breakfast selection is quite good and found the staff active on clean-up & re-stocking throughout the 6-10:30AM breakfast window.

No experience on:
1. Room service
2. Internet access

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
LeMeridienMakkah, Manager at Le Meridien Makkah, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback and this give us a pleasure of encourage to do more better services to all our valuable guests.

Looking forward to welcome you and your groups again at Le Meridien Hotel Makkah and it will be our pleasure to be at your service.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

I stayed there one night. I have a booked reservation from SPG website. arrived at front desk and the local guy who work could not find my reservation on the syste. few phone calls have to be made and finnaly was given an alternate room.
I was a member of SPF so I should have gotten the 17th floor and a room with HARAM VIEW and a non smoking room.
Instead I end up on 16th flor. no view and a smoking room. It was a total mess that I just want to get a room. My purpose was for religion purposes so I did not care much.
But the entire local staff and their manager need a lot of training on dealing with guests. the hotel is a bit old. but it is clean and the breakfast buffet has a lot of selection. Service wise is good. So my advise is just don't relay on online reservation. make sure you call ahead and write down the name of the person and when you talk to them and make sure to confirm your room selection. and you may still have to show up and your reservation is not on their system.also even if you have a haram view there is a huge tower that was built so the view is almost non existent.
on the good side. it is 3mn walk to Harram

Room Tip: 17th floor is reserved usually to SPG member
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
LeMeridienMakkah, Manager at Le Meridien Makkah, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Mr. Maroc_NYC

We apologize for the unpleasant experience during your stay at the Hotel. Rest assured that we have addressed your concern with the staff involved to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.

Thank you for bringing this up as we have to live up to the expectations of our guests and constantly learn from their feedback. We hope that you'll give us a second chance to deliver the quality of service expected of us.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the Le Meridien Makkah near future

Best regards,

Been to Le Meridien Makkah? Share your experiences!