“Hajj Stay ...... Nothing but the Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel

You added Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel to your Saves list
Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   King Abdul Aziz Endowment, Abraj Al Bait Complex | P. O. Box 762, Mecca 21955, Saudi Arabia   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 236 Hotels in Mecca
Karachi, Pakistan
“Hajj Stay ...... Nothing but the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The Best Place if you want to be comfortable and have easy access to Masjid Al Haram. The Hotel enters through the Mall taht leads to Gate Abdul Aziz. Wonderful Rooms Great Service. As it is Most of the Time one is in the Masjid but when you comeback for some rest things are just very good. The Staff is very helpful and is very calm.
I would love to go back and stay here. Worry Free stay and full concentration to Ibadat.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Samah Z, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Tower, A Fairmont Hotel at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Greeting from the Holy city,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback! We loved reading your feedback on Trip Advisor appreciating our hotel, our helpful staff and our location, having an easy access to Al Haram. We look forward to welcoming you back during your future visits to the Holy city .Till then please accept our regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Recently i had made an booking for the Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel for one night along with my family which included one kid and one 18month old infant for an holy visit .
the location of this hotel was really awesome and room which was fortunately assigned to me was a direct Qibla view which allowed me to see the kibla everytime i go by my window and even the location of the hotel was nothing but perfect which gave me an easy access to go the holy mosque . Whenever i visit makkah i generally prefer going to a 3star or a 4 star hotel since i travel alone , but this time it was difeerent coz i had my sister and the kids coming all the way from dubai and i really wanted to surprise them. so i went ahead and booked nothing but the best in the market and the only hotel that actually struck my mind was fairmont makkah conisdering the the location and name of the brand fairmont in the market.
With regards to the room and interiors its actually the way i wanted and was upto the standards of a five star luxury hotel i would without any doubts give them 10 on 10 but again the view that i had wud have been more better if the hotel would have maintained their own building by cleaning the glasses .
i was really happy as i had completed my umrah and took rest the whole night till mornig prayers , had the breakfast in the all day dining restaurant which was crowded like a souq. was hardly unable to find a table to sit and enjoy my breakfast wid my family . it took me almost 10 to 15 mins to find a table and the more 10 mins just to find some person from the restaurant to clear the table and give me napkins and silver ware to eat . i still considered it as fine since it was busy up there , but the restaurant did not do anything to make the service better knowing that it is busy always.
restaurant was also not a big issue and i had almost forgotten about it but the actuall issue rises which gave me a nightmare of my life which i would actually never forget in my life when i headed to check out around 1430 hours and asked for luggage assistance from the bell desk dept. i clearly mentioned the bell staff to head to the the basement and store my luggage for some time till the time i check out my room have my lunch with my family and then come back to recieve my luggage. After i came back from check out and having lunch, i gave the luggage ticket to one of the bell staff and get my luggage by the time i get a cab from outside to head to madinah , it took me almost 20 to 30 mins to get the cab , when i asked my sister if the luggage had come she eventually said no that it didnt turn up some how . i again asked for my luggage and then they said OK SIR now that you are here we will get luggage , i again kind of waited for almost 10 to 15 mins for my luggage but the luggage did not turn up neither anyone showed up
for a while , then it was all kiosk amongst the staff but no one owned my issue and came ahead and in formed me where my luggage is and where it was . when i had almost lost my patience and caught one of the bell staff annoyingly and asked him for my luggage he asked me to follow him and took me to the lobby to meet his manager and the one security chief . they said that they lost my luggage or misplaced it somwhere which utterly gave me a shock of my life got i had 2 luggages , 2 handbags , one baby stroller and one plastic bag consisting of some food . fortunately i was only left with my and my families travel documents and passport and airtickets. the manager initially told me it would take him few minutes or an hour to track the luggage and get it delivered to the hotel in madinah where i was going to head from makkah . After an hour it was still not traced and had no clue where my luggage was actually. and later i realised that i cant go ahead without my luggage which had all our clothes , baby stroller , baby food and most crucial was the baby medicines . i cudnt go ahead and continue my trip till the time i had no assurance as to where my luggage was . and the very next day we had to visit the 4 mosque inlcuding the prophets mosque and the other 3 mosques and then head back myslef to riyadh and my sister back again to dubai with the kids. i cud still wait since i had the late night flight to riyadh but my sister had a 1800 hrs international flight to dubai from madinah. the hotel managemnt gave me enough stories that they are tracing it but no one gave me the exact details where it is, and how much time would they actually take to get my lugage to madinah. i was asked to to go back to my room in makkah in the same hotel and then have my dinner by then they wud trace it and give me an accurate details as to where it is . they asked me to trust them but i had actually lost trust after waiting 7 hours with a hope of getting accurate details with my luggage. i wudnt leave untill i get something in writing by the hotel management that i will get my luggage back by so and so time. after a lot of arguement for about an hour the managemnt decicded to write and give me and apologised for the same and if they wudnt be able to track the luggage they will compensate me which i was least interested in , i never asked for compensation or a hotel stay the only basic thing that i had actually asked for was my luggage and nothing else.
some how by 12.30 am after a lot of drama i continued my trip to madinah by 12.30 am which was actually supossed to be by 1600 hrs departure from makkah. on my half way to medinah i got a call around 2.30 am from the hotel saying that my luggage was found and and was by mistakenly went with the group that headed to madinah and i was asked to pick it from Hotel movenpick. it was such as sigh of relief that moment .
Just beacuse of one careless mistake by the hotel of delivering the luggage seing by the name and the room number to the right person is very much basic and functional and not even a rocket science that wud take a lot of efforts to do it which eventuall actually cost me an experience of my life and ruining my holy trip . the hotel faced nothing but i cudnt complete my holy trip the way i had scheduled and had made an itenary accordingly . i could only visit the Prophets mosque that tooo in a hurry adn was unable to go the other 3 mosques in madinah .and me my self being in the travel industry cant expect such a simple thing from such a luxury hotel sorry to say that .
i woudnt recommend anyone to stay in this hotel as they cant deliver only a basic service which is expected by a luxury hotel and one of the biggest hospitality service provider in the market named Fairmont.

Room Tip: Try getting a qibla view room rather than the city view room as it would be a waste of money just lo...
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here with the family for Umrah in May-June 2013. We had 2 interconnecting rooms, each with 3 single beds. They allowed us to check in early on arrival - it was about 11 am and they claimed that check in was not until 5 (which seemed unusual). Interconnecting rooms not initially available but were then given to us in the evening after we had performed our Umrah.

Room was OK - high floor so luckily not too much noise from the huge construction site behind the hotel - windows dirty and probably not cleaned since the hotel was opened - nothing to see any way!

I don't have very high expectations of the hotels in Makkah - I have stayed at most of the famous ones e.g. Dar al-Tawhid, Hilton, Movenpick. This was very similar to Movenpick (where I stayed last year).

You have to get a lift from the shopping mall up to the hotel reception floor - you then change lifts at the hotel reception floor.

The breakfast is the usual spread that you see in other hotels in Makkah - lots of choices, nothing special, and on most days I didn't bother to go for it - lengthy queues and busy, especially on Thurs and Friday. The staff did what they could to cope with the large crowds of people but it took time to get any service from the waiters.

We had the dinner buffet one night - 185 SAR per adult - the food was really good!

They have signs saying you can't bring food from outside the hotel back to your room - we generally adhered to this but saw lots of people clearly contravening this. The food court in the mall below the hotel is adequate but gets a bit boring after a few days!

Staff generally friendly and helpful throughout our stay.

The car rental company in hotel reception charge extortionate prices e.g. 500 SAR to Jeddah!!! If you go to the basement floor you will find loads of local drivers who will charge much more reasonable prices.

On the final day we got stuck in a lift after Fajr - the lights went off and all power to the lift went off - we banged on the lift door and were finally let out by security - no idea what happened and no apology given! I was with my young son when this happened.

There is also a prayer floor on the S2 level - nice prayer room and good views of the Haram from here - didn't use it much though, but might be good for people with mobility problems, etc.

A lot of reviews criticise the hotel - I am more circumspect - this is on a par with other Makkah 5 star hotels and service levels in Saudi hotels, particularly in Makkah and Madinah, are not comparable to the likes of Dubai, etc.

Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Very conveniently located in nice shopping complex. few minutes Walk to Haram. Elevators isn't crowed like the other hotels in same complex. The breakfast buffet has a good selection of items with continental, Arabic, North african, Asian and other kind of dishes. This variety of food is available in Dinner also.

The rooms have a luxury feeling. You feel it is new furnished. All Staff are helpful and cleaver, except the room service, they are very helpful and trying to do their best, but they are not too much cleaver.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Avoid staying in clock tower back rooms, there is 24hr heavy construction work going on behind the clock tower, I mean using dynamite to level the hills, so the precious few hours you have between end of Isha jamah and beginning of fajr will be disturbed. try to get front rooms, but it will cost more, else it's will be like "Chinese Water Torture" during the night.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back or ask for a discount
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ypsilanti, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have traveled worldwide in my lifetime & stayed in all stars type of hotels. Fairmont Makkah is
totally & absolutely derived of service in all areas.Staff who know English in restaurants,housekeeping & front desk etc. simply ignore guests.Even,if you politely stop them
& remind about your needs they just walk away! Rooms are not tied up unless you keep calling
housekeeping.
Staying in Fairmont,Makkah is a nightmare. It seems GM of this hotel is not interested in running
the hotel professionally.

Room Tip: Can't suggest any!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Siwar B, Social Media Manager at Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for your negative experiences. We work hard to maintain our position as the leading hotel in the Holy City and clearly we weren't preforming to our usual standards during you stay - for that we sincerely apologize. Please do provide us with more details about the incidents below by emailing us at socialmediamakkah@fairmont.com so we can explore them further and deal with them directly. We have already relayed your message regarding the staff and housekeeping to the managers directly. Thank you again for taking the time to post.
Regards,
Mecca, Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Better than its poor cousin (Swissotel) but no better than any other 5 star property around the Haram. My Ka' aba view suite was well-furnished. But the glass windows were very dusty and apparently have never been cleaned, blurring and soling the view.

The buffets were below average but the fine dining restaurant was good and accommodated my off-menu taste cheerfully.

If this is the off-season service, you do not want to stay here in Ramadan. The hotel is overhyped.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Makkah Clock Royal Tower, A Fairmont Hotel? Share your experiences!